How do you think about the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
The new type 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion batteries are available in recent years. Compared to AA/AAA rechargeable NiMH battery and disposable alkaline battery, some people may not so familiar with this new Li-ion battery. So how about its performance? More info here.

Li-ion batteries normally operate 3.7V per cell. Through a built-in circuitry, the battery is stepped down to a 1.5V constant voltage output. There are some outstanding advantages of this Li-ion battery.

*1.5V constant output, stable performance
Because of the high density of Li-ion battery, the energy of 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery is higher than that of NiMH and disposable alkaline batteries. And the output of the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery keeps a constant voltage of 1.5V, more stable and powerful. The devices such as racing cars, remote controls, electric toys, etc. that use this battery can maintain more stable performance.

*Longer battery lifetime
For rechargeable NiMH battery, due to the memory effect, it may need to charge and discharge the battery from time to time to release the capacity. This will inevitably shorten the battery life. Compared with NiMH batteries, lithium batteries have no memory effect. You can charge and discharge the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery at any time. And good maintenance also helps to extend the battery lifespan.

*Having all advantages of Li-ion batteries
Since the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery is reduced voltage from the 3.7V Li-ion battery, it has all the advantages of Li-ion batteries, such as fast charging speed, low self-discharge rate, high safety and performance, large discharge current, excellent high and low temperature discharge performance.

*Eco-friendly
Rechargeable Li-ion batteries almost always last longer, reduce waste compared with disposable batteries, truly economical and environmentally friendly...

How about your views on this new 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion batteries? Comment freely.​

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like mostly a convenience thing. Consider flashlights have electronics and now cells are taking on electronics. More complexity, cost and failure potential, for each cell in the device.

How important is constant 1.5v when NiMH voltage while lower is relatively flat over its discharge? Selling points sound like good marketing.

Overall efficiency of devices will be lower due to another level of conversion, whether the device (light) uses switching or linear drive.

Space taken by electronics is not available for cell, giving lower capacity.

Also, besides advantages, Li-ion does have its risks which NiMH does not; not mentioned.

Only real useful cases I think would be a single-cell light which due to design does not work well on 1.3v; or a direct-drive 3-cell light which has lower brightness with NiMH. I find it a bit bizarre for say a 3AA light which could run from a single Li-ion, now to be powered from three 3.7v cells stepped down to 1.5v each then assembled in series.

Dave

3_gun

Enlightened
I like'm just fine. Not the greatest thing since sliced bread but somewhere in the top 10. After watching/reading some 3rd party testing I added some AA/AAA to my rainny day supply. Long run times, flat output, temperature range stability and shelf life won me over. Those advantages aren't enough to move me completely away from regular AA/AAA for everyday use but they are clear advantages. These type found their way into my go bag and lights left in tool/glove boxes that need to work but don't see common or weekly use. Each battery may cost more than up to 4 common AAs but my simple at home test confirmed the 3rd party tests well enough I spent money on them

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
'low self-discharge rate'​

I've seen comments which indicate that some of these designs actually have a rather problematic self-discharge rate. I can't speak to that personally, but some data / a spec would be nice, and probably required before I try them out.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are good for devices which need little more voltage compare to NiMH cells but I don't recommend for high drain devices.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a runtime test with Zebra light using lion AA vs AA Nimh vs AA energizer lithium, vs AA alkaline. Would be a great test!
I was not aware that Aa lion was available.
thx

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
How important is constant 1.5v when NiMH voltage while lower is relatively flat over its discharge?
Only real useful cases I think would be a single-cell light which due to design does not work well on 1.3v
I have a similar user case for the 1.5V LiION batteries (Kentli 3000mWh AAs) that I have.
I use them in a small portable radio, to keep the display visible, read more about it here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...aas-with-2800mwh-1850mah.465549/#post-5371720

Last edited:

fuyume

Enlightened
The new type 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion batteries are available in recent years. Compared to AA/AAA rechargeable NiMH battery and disposable alkaline battery, some people may not so familiar with this new Li-ion battery. So how about its performance? More info here.

Li-ion batteries normally operate 3.7V per cell. Through a built-in circuitry, the battery is stepped down to a 1.5V constant voltage output. There are some outstanding advantages of this Li-ion battery.

*1.5V constant output, stable performance
Because of the high density of Li-ion battery, the energy of 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery is higher than that of NiMH and disposable alkaline batteries. And the output of the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery keeps a constant voltage of 1.5V, more stable and powerful. The devices such as racing cars, remote controls, electric toys, etc. that use this battery can maintain more stable performance.

*Longer battery lifetime
For rechargeable NiMH battery, due to the memory effect, it may need to charge and discharge the battery from time to time to release the capacity. This will inevitably shorten the battery life. Compared with NiMH batteries, lithium batteries have no memory effect. You can charge and discharge the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery at any time. And good maintenance also helps to extend the battery lifespan.

*Having all advantages of Li-ion batteries
Since the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery is reduced voltage from the 3.7V Li-ion battery, it has all the advantages of Li-ion batteries, such as fast charging speed, low self-discharge rate, high safety and performance, large discharge current, excellent high and low temperature discharge performance.

*Eco-friendly
Rechargeable Li-ion batteries almost always last longer, reduce waste compared with disposable batteries, truly economical and environmentally friendly...

How about your views on this new 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion batteries? Comment freely.​

Citations? Links to actual products?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I see a range of claims for the mAh capacity for the same size (AA) - I wonder if the name brand makers will go into this, or too much fire failure liability?

nollij

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the pale blue earth batteries (aaa, aa, d & 9v) without problems. They seem to last about as long as my NiMH batts but are considerably lighter. I use them in my various bicycle LED lights and in single cell LED flashlights. They are easy to recharge (pretty fast too except for the D cell). Haven't worn out a set yet so I'm not sure about lifetime. So far so good.

Msf

Enlightened
I have several. They power my devices fine, but not as long as eneloop pros. The exception is extremely cold weather, where they lasted longer than my eneloop pros. My only issue with them is that I have tried two different brands (Fenix and cannot remember the other) and after sitting them on the shelf after charging, they were fully discharged within four months. Thought the batteries might just be old, so bought some new ones and same result. Personal experience is they are fine if you are using them shortly after charging, but not if they are going to sit for a while prior to use.