How many lumens is a street lamp?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have read low pressure sodium puts out approx 180 lumens/watt so a 100 watt bulb would be 1800 lumens, a 400 watt bulb would be around 72,000 lumens using that figure.

There are very few Low Pressure Sodium Lamps in use in the USA as street lamps. There are some Low Pressure Sodium lamps that exceed 200 lumens per watt. The Color rendition is so limited that it makes them generally unsuitable for street light. Most street lights are in fact High Pressure Sodium, which while not as efficient, the color rendition, as bad as it is with HPS is still light years better than Low Pressure Sodium

seniorcare

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping to find an 1850's thread, to ask them how many lumens their gas street lights were. But settled upon this 2005 thread.

My curiosity was raised while watching an old movie called "Gaslight". At first, my thinking was that life was dim back then, until I remembered how bright my camping lantern can become. (Apparently, the invention of the gas mantle tripled the lumens, by the 1890s.) Possibly, the electric bulb was a step backwards for brightness and control. Taking over via safety, reliability, ease of use, soot, and cost arguments.

By the way, 2005 people, eventually, there will be LED street lighting, in the next decade. But, bet ya'll already guessed that one.

Now, if someone from 2005 answers me, I just may have to upgrade my cpf account to a paid account.

I'm already seeing some of my streetlights being switched over to LED now. The government is trying to save money too.