How to choose a good flashlight?

jeniferlee697

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Dealer link removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm, it seems so professional. I always see that it says cree, XML, XPG, or Q3, Q5, T6, or just says LED for general.

How to tell the difference between them?

Is it a good choice if I buy the Fenix brand flashlight?

As it looks more functional and more expensive…

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Jennifer, and welcome to the forum,

First, don't be in a hurry. If possible, spend the next couple of weeks reading as much as you can here on CPF about all the various flashlights that are available. There is a whole new flashlight "language" that you need to learn so that you can begin to decide what you need.

In order for us to help you make an informed decision, you need to tell us what kind of light you need. In order to do that, it's helpful if you make a list of the things about the light that are important to you. To help you start that list, go here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight-Recommendation-Checklist-Updated-MK-II

Then, to understand a little more about LED flashlights, go here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nner-s-Guide-to-explain-simple-LED-flashlight

Flashlights need batteries, so you should begin to learn all batteries (hint, most of us prefer rechargeable batteries):
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Finally, you should start reading reviews of some current lights, so go here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?19-Flashlight-Reviews

There is a lot to learn, but the more time you spend reading and learning, the more wisely you will spend your money to get the flashlight that fits YOUR particular needs. A lot of new members just start buying lights, and then when they finally figure out what light they really need, they find they've spent most of their money, so if possible, try to narrow down what you need, make a list of the lights that fit that need, and then start asking questions about why one light might be better for your situation than another.

Have fun!

Edit: By the way, Fenix is a highly regarded brand here on CPF, so if that's all you really need to know, then go for it....... but even within the Fenix line of flashlights there are many choices, so it's better if you spend at least a little time trying to learn about all the cool features that are available and why you might one some of those features on YOUR light.

Also, we have a VERY helpful tool here on CPF. At the top left of most pages you will see an empty white box that says "Google Search" to the right of it. Leave that checkmarked "For CPF Only", and when you find a particular light that looks interesting to you, simply type that light's name in the box and hit "Google Search", then it will bring up all the recent threads where people are talking about that light. Neat.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Look at the flashlights, it seems so professional. I always see that it says cree, XML, XPG, or Q3, Q5, T6, or just says LED for general.

How to tell the difference between them?

Is it a good choice if I buy the Fenix brand flashlight?

As it looks more functional and more expensive…

In addition to the good advice already given, I would add that you would start to consider what "Good" means, to you.

For example, some of the more professional lights are meant for tactical use, and, that can mean that they are designed to come on in their maximum/highest mode...perhaps to also come on with strobe, etc. That is typically a TERRIBLE feature if NOT using it for tactical purposes, as MOST people find it nicer when a light comes on at a lower setting, so as not to blind everyone with a brilliant flash of light (A problem if turning it on in your tent or hotel room to find the bathroom, not a problem if using it to blind/freeze a bad guy at a crime scene, etc).

The beam shape is another issue. MOST people use their flashlight to illuminate tasks, such as setting up a tent, washing dishes during a power outage, etc...or for walks, and other tasks that benefit from a flood of light that allows you to see everything at once, without needing to sweep the beam back and forth to see what's out there.

Sometimes you WANT a beam that can reach a long distance....and there are LED lights that can light things up over a mile away for example. The farther the beam CAN reach, typically, the narrower that beam needs to be to concentrate its light onto a distant target.

That concentrated beam is TERRIBLE for doing tasks, as it creates too much glare close up.

So, what is a "Good" light for some applications may be a "Terrible" light for other applications.

Its like cars....you can ask "What's a good car?"...and someone might say a Toyota Corolla, or a Rolls Royce Corniche, or a Ferrari, etc....but you might have 6 kids and a husband, and a large dog, and a steep driveway you need 4wd to get up during the winter, etc...and NONE of the "Good Cars" would actually BE good, for you.

:D

jeniferlee697

Newly Enlightened
Must have flashlight?

I am relatively new to flashlight game and for the last month have been ordering a quite a few lights. But I am not confident enough yet to mod a light, so i was wondering what are the must have lights for a non-modder.
Also, what stores are better to order from?
Right now as i do not mod, i am really looking for quality so i do not have to mod. anything from $4-60, what would you guys recommend.
I have started small with the sipik sk68 and sk98 and a couple solarforce l2 series lights. I also have picked up a couple group buys lately, but have not been overly impressed.
thanks guys.

cistallus

Enlightened
Re: Must have flashlight?

To answer the question in the title of your post: Yes, you MUST have flashlight. It is required. :)

Seriously, "must have" is pretty subjective, varying wildly across CPF members - some focus on tiny neckchain lights, some want/need monster lights that can cover 1000 yards; some desire moonlight levels, some want 10,000 lumens.

Also your price range is towards the budget end, you might browse the budget forum here.

For stores, look at the front page of this forum at the CPF Classifieds, some of the dealers have ads; also you can look at the CPF Marketplace dealer area.

Some common "must have" lights - many but not all more expensive than your range - are lights from Surefire, HDS, ZebraLight, Fenix, ...

Vinh's lights are highly desirable, see the Custom forum, vinhnguyen54 subforum, and start salivating. :)

kbuzbee

Enlightened

Excellent suggestions!

The one light "I" think "everyone" should have is a EagleTac D25C. Absolutely terrific little EDC light. Very bright. Excellent moonlight mode. Choice of several LEDs to fit your preference. Excellent UI. My favorite EDC light by a good margin (that mine is a D25Cvn XP-L is only a plus - the stock models are terrific)

Ken

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

In your price range, I'd say a must have would be your favorite model from FourSevens. Great warranty (10 years) with USA based support. They have some excellent lights from $40-70 that range from twist only pocket EDC types, to Pro models with reverse click and multiple modes, to Tactical versions that are momentary forward clickies and have only two modes, accessed by loosening or tightening the head. Determine what you think you need at this point (size, battery type, user interface, modes), and order accordingly.

For pure nostalgia, you can't beat a Surefire 6P Original. It isn't the brightest, longest running, or most versatile light, but boy is it bullet proof, and it started the P60 craze. The P60 incandescent LA still kicks butt, especially considering the design is around 25 years old.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

The Peak El Capitan flashlight is within that budget, barely, in aluminum. The steel or brass versions are a bit more, but are a nice upgrade :)

SureFire G2 is another solid choice, under $60 ....

Last edited:

Kamerat

Enlightened

Right now, a light from Vinh or MBI.

Edit: I can see that you only want to use 60. With a little bit more you can get the best.

Last edited:

Pila

Newly Enlightened
Previous responses are actually very good, and try to consider the main problem in any selection: what for you will be using the device. But, they might likely be more than you are willing or interested to do/learn/investigate/understand. I will try to make it simple, guessing as I go.

1. decide for what do you (mostly) need it. E.g. around the house, walking the dog, looking for the cats, running at night... - all would be served perfectly with a single AA battery model - e.g. Fenix E12. It would be usable for hiking and camping, too.

2. how often do you expect to carry it? If you want to have it always with you, AAA might be preferable (e.g. Fenix LD02 or Fenix E05 2014 Edition), or some of the smallest AA models might be usable (as under 1.). If longer uses are probable, and/or you need free hands, then it is best to get inexpensive headband or belt holster - they work best with AA sized lights, AAA might be unsafe in holders (relatively easy to fall out). Best headband I have found is Nitecore and best belt clip is Fenix AB02. Both work excellent with AA lights and are usable with an AAA (but, AAA is not meant for this usage, really).

3. how often do you expect to use it at a time? If carried in hand, AAA might be awkward for longer time, over e.g. 5 minutes, unless you have small hands; small AA is likely to be nicer to carry longer in a hand, even in a smaller women's hand. Examples: the same as in 1. and 2. As for declared battery life: ignore it and carry a spare battery. EVERY battery will always die when it is inconvenient - when you need it.

4. Do you expect using it (activating it and changing strength) in a hurry (e.g. cat screaming under a window) and/or often (every day, several times)? If so, I strongly advise against Twisty on/off models, Tail button cap is far better. But, twisty on an AAA light makes for an extremely small light (e.g. Fenix E05 2014 Edition).

Avoid complications, too many modes (3 are OK), more than one switch and side switch. I would prefer a model using standard battery (AA or AAA). Unless used very seldom and for short tasks (minutes), I would recommend using Rechargeable batteries, Sanyo (now Panasonic) Enelooop are the best (not Lite and not Pro or XX), and their best charger is NC-MQR06 (good for both AA and AAA sizes).

Many company's lights will be good. I have several Fenix models, and they work excellently. There are many possible complaints to be made to what I wrote, but this is likely the simplest good advice you will get.