How to increase G2 and be green

NightStalker

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, Newbie here:D, Been reading the site for a few days and love the input.

I have a G2 with a pressure switch mounted as a weapon light. I also have a red dot optic also. I am trying to figure out how make the light brighter so I can add a green filter to it for night time applications and still have a bright light.

I have a Cree R2 in it now and love it. But it drowns out my red dot sight. Was thinking of adding a green filter but afraid it may dim the light too much and not make it useable.

Do I add the green filter with same bulb?
Do I buy a green in color p60 style bulb? if so which one is recommended?
Do i get a better bulb and a green filter?

Thanks guys.

Nick

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for a better red dot sight. The output of any single LED even at close range is less than natural sunlight, and a decent red-dot sight is easily visible even on the brightest of days. Maybe your red-dot has an adjustable power level or needs new batteries or something?

NightStalker

Newly Enlightened
I vote for a better red dot sight. The output of any single LED even at close range is less than natural sunlight, and a decent red-dot sight is easily visible even on the brightest of days. Maybe your red-dot has an adjustable power level or needs new batteries or something?

Yes I can adjust the intensity of the red dot. It's an Eotech. But if I have it too bright it makes it hard to make out the target at night. Too low and hard to see the red dot when the light is activated or in the evening before I need the light and the sun is still up. MY thinking was to add a green filter to the light to have some contrast and be able to leave the red dot at the lower intensity. (Being I work at night, if it is on the brighter setting I don't want to have to mess with adjusting the brightness when its go time.) But, I don't want to kil the the light with the green filter. (No I haven't tried one yet to see how much light would be lost, maybe I should start there first)

Is my thinking wrong??

Thanks.

LightCannon

Enlightened

Isn't there the question of lux to consider? I mean, the sun is obviously going to win in terms of sheer output (lumens) but the sun doesn't exactly have a hotspot, you know.

Well, unless you look into it. :p

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If I was trying to use a red laser and a bright light at the same time I think I would try to have a more diffused drop-in so the red dot is not washed out.
I mean you don't try to use the laser at long distance so why have a tight spot.

There are dozens of ways to flood that beam some and see the dot better without trying green light or something funky.
Even the most primitive method of lightly sanding the plastic G2 lens with 1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper would work but it's permanant. Maybe finding some light diffusion film or even using Glad press and seal on the lens would be a good test to see if it helps you out any.

Now if you really really must have a green light then get one of the green Cree emitter drop-in's from the bay and not a filter.

Last edited:

NightStalker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Sgt.LED I will give those a shot and see how it looks.

Yes my red dot is adjustable. It is an EOTech. Problem is I work at night and come on when the sun has not gone completely down. I could adjust the red dot to be brighter for the sun and light. Problem with that is when the sun goes down or the light is not on the red dot is too bright to make out the target. And if I adjust the red dot low enough for night time I can hardly see it when I activate the light. MY thinking was to contrast the light and the red dot to make it easier to see and still have some illumination.

Is my thinking off??

Thanks again.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't there the question of lux to consider? I mean, the sun is obviously going to win in terms of sheer output (lumens) but the sun doesn't exactly have a hotspot, you know.

Well, unless you look into it. :p

Spot brightness of a 200+ lumen M60 at a 6 foot distance is barely equal to noontime sunlight, any further away and the sun wins handily. An average chinese "cree R2" dropin puts out a bit less than that, around 180 or so lumens if you get a good one.

red02

Enlightened
Why not get a green laser or a green dropin? I've read that green is now preferred by the army guys.

LightCannon

Enlightened
Spot brightness of a 200+ lumen M60 at a 6 foot distance is barely equal to noontime sunlight, any further away and the sun wins handily. An average chinese "cree R2" dropin puts out a bit less than that, around 180 or so lumens if you get a good one.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't too sure on that point.

NightStalker

Newly Enlightened
Why put a green filter on it? Just turn down the lights output...

Main reason is while working at night and not wanting to disrupt the night vision in a critical situation. Would do red but then the red dot would disappear I think.

This weekend I will try some different configs before I buy any thing else and see how it does.

Thanks again guys.

Latest posts