How to Remove Head from LED Lenser?

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
I have a twist-to-focus 1xaa Coast LED Lenser I bought overseas in 2006. I was so happy because it was bright compared to everything else. I've since moved up, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of my first LED flashlight!

Anyway, I need to pull the head off of this because I got water in there. No matter which way I twist and turn with all my might it won't come off. What to do?

(below is kind of what it looks like. The actual model number of mine is "LED LENSER 007637")
51C5rOLSivL._SX425_.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a twist-to-focus 1xaa Coast LED Lenser I bought overseas in 2006. I was so happy because it was bright compared to everything else. I've since moved up, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of my first LED flashlight!

Anyway, I need to pull the head off of this because I got water in there. No matter which way I twist and turn with all my might it won't come off. What to do?

(below is kind of what it looks like. The actual model number of mine is "LED LENSER 007637")
51C5rOLSivL._SX425_.jpg

If you can't get the head off... get a bag and fill it with rice stick the head in the bag and seal it and put it in the sun for a day or two perhaps it will suck the moisture out of the head.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head comes apart in two pieces. See the line between the cylindrical top portion of the head and the bottom portion where it flutes inward. That's the seam between the two halves.

You'll need to unscrew the lower half of the head from the upper half. Once it's inscrewed, the top half of the head with optic will come right off. You can then slide the bottom half of the head towards the tail to remove it. The pill with the LED can then be removed.

Overall, LED Lensers aren't too hard to disassemble. My last one wasn't even glued. However, there IS an o-ring between the upper and lower potions of the head keeping them tight. I typically cut a strip of 3M rubber indoor stairway grip tape and wrap it along one section, then do the same for the other section. Together those usually give me enough grip I can disassemble most lights by hand.

Last edited:

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
The head comes apart in two pieces. See the line between the cylindrical top portion of the head and the bottom portion where it flutes inward. That's the seam between the two halves.

You'll need to unscrew the lower half of the head from the upper half. Once it's inscrewed, the top half of the head with optic will come right off. You can then slide the bottom half of the head towards the tail to remove it. The pill with the LED can then be removed.

Overall, LED Lensers aren't too hard to disassembled. My last one wasn't even glued. However, there IS an o-ring between the upper and lower potions of the head keeping them tight. I typically cut a strip of 3M rubber indoor stairway grip tape and wrap it along one section, then do the same for the other section. Together those usually give me enough grip I can disassemble most lights by hand.

Yes, I see, the head is in 2 parts and I can see the seam. I can't unscrew that either. It's too tight. Glued?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way to remove the head is to unscrew those 2 halves.

If it's not unscrewing, maybe see if there is a way you can increase your grip strength. Perhaps strap wrenches or the grip tape technique I mentioned.

If those aren't options you could use two pairs of pliers, but those will tear up the exterior of the light. I recommend avoiding that unless you're desparate.

If it is glued, you will need a LOT of torque to break the glue. That or a blowtorch to heat up the glue, but a torch might damage the optic.

dedmunds

Newly Enlightened
Approximately what is the lowest temp can I heat it up to that should allow me to break loose the glue, but not destroy the optic? Especially a cheaper plastic optic with a glass lens.