How to salvage Maglite with corroded batteries?

T45

Enlightened
This thread? There must be a half dozen threads on how to deal with leaking alkaline batteries. I am surprised they have not been all combined yet.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Chris: it makes not much sense to revive a thread that is 13 years old

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
It makes sense if the information is still useful. I found it because I am presently looking for information on removing stuck alkaline D cells from a 3D Mag. Sure we have SureFire and others, but we keep a 3D Maglite (the handy bludgeon size) clipped to the wall at each side of our king size bed. Big and easy to find in the dark, they can be turned on while still in their clips, and make adequate sconce lights during power outages. Hers was manufactured LED, mine was converted.

Removing the tail cap then dropping end first on the floor (rug-I don't want to hurt the floor) removed one Rayovac industrial cell, but the other two are still stuck. Maybe I will take it to work with me in the morning. I remember reclaiming my mid 1970's 3D Kel-lite from alkaline damage. It took a pipe wrench to remove the head, and I ordered new lens, reflector and bulb holder. Old memory...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saved a Maglite with corroded alkalines in it. Unfortunately, the batteries corroded the anodizing. The light still works, but the tube is rough and pitted. I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done about that... ideas? Paint, maybe?

eff

Enlightened
This thread reminds me I still have an old 2AA incan maglite with corroded batteries in it. The batteries have started pouring out some kind of white powder into the tube. I'm not quite sure if it can still be repaired.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can always contact the battery manufacturer for payment of the cost of the light. sometimes they do this without needing the light back and additionally, they'll send coupons for a pack of batteries. i've done this with rayovac, energizer and duracell (not to mention a plethora of pen manufacturers)

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Mag used to repair or replace any Mag flashlight damaged by alkaline batteries manufactured by Duracell, Energizer, or Ray-O-Vac. However, this warranty is no longer in effect, as it was canceled some time ago. I had a couple of Mini-Mags that had corroded and chose to just throw them away.

Lithium AA and AAA are not only superior batteries but are actually a better bargain.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light has a sentimental value to you, you could get some muriatic or phosphoric acid, cut it with some water and wait till it dissolved to alkaline junk, then push out the battery shells. For the run of the mill light it isn't worth the time or effort.

I gave my Dad a Led Lenser for Christmas and against my wishes he installed a Duracell battery, a couple of months later it leaked into the switch. Sent the light and battery to Duracell and two weeks later they enclosed a check and coupon for more of their product. Dad's a hard head so I made him make contact with Duracell on the replacement.

I've got a Nikon Speedlight that has a set of Duracells that puked that Duracell is going to have to eat the cost of replacement. A nice $350 replacement cost.
Now it's all Eneloops or NiMH cells in everything that can use them.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 of the 2-AA lights, both with corroded batteries. Is there a schematic anywhere that shows how to take the light apart? I have tried several times to get the corroded cells out of the hosts, but I cannot do it. I can't even get the head off. Any help appreciated.