How to store rechargeable batteries so you can tell which ones are charged

livemusic

Newly Enlightened
An extensive google search provided no solution. I tried several different search phrases. I am wanting to know a system so I can tell which batteries are charged up and ready to go. I have various rechargeable sizes. There is bound to be a system or some type of container such that you can easily tell if the batteries have been charged. Help!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Depends on the container. I typically keep batteries that are charged fully in one set of containers and those which are not by the chargers to be charged. There are folks who store purposely drained batteries long term that are not to be used immediately in order to prolong their life but other than that putting batteries that aren't ready for use is in with those that are just makes for a mess. I have a tackle box and a bunch of extra duraloops in it that I put a note on them that has the last date they were charged up fully and after about a year and a half I recharge all of them again. The other rechargeable batteries I test with a voltmeter before using to make sure they don't need to be charged up as some of them may sit for years before needed.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Storacell packs for most of my cells. The easiest way to tell the difference is to put the full cells in with the positive terminal towards the open end of the slot. Then, when you replace a run down cell with one of the fully charged one, just put the empty cell in with the positive end towards the closed end. Makes it easy to tell at a glance which is which. I don't use the Storacells for my 18650 lights, since another member reported problems with the fit being very tight, to the point that the wrapper was torn. I use the standard plastic 'travel soap' type cased for those. There, I use the same method. The charged cells have the top facing away from the hinge end, and the drained cells just the opposite. Again, easy to tell at a glance.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just be cautious with "non-button-top" cells, as some of those can be a little confusing as to polarity at a quick glance .... Not all torches are polarity protected :poof:

:(

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well most of my cells are charged, sometime my NiMH may not be completely charged. Since I have lots of these that I track in sets I put them vertically in some plastic case with many rows and columns; I think they are for ammunition. Cells that are not charged are placed upside-down (positive to the bottom), all others the positive pole faces up. If in doubt I measure them. Always keep lithium Ion charged. Those at storage voltage I store in a completely different place. All my users are charged.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting methods.
Not sure how many batteries you are talking about (each size) and for how many flashlights, but a system I use for my 26650's for only one single-cell flashlight is to number each cell, then use them in numerical order. Some are resting, sometimes near 3.6V or maybe 3.8V (depending on how much the flashlight will be used in the near future), and then the one in the flashlight is charged, as well as a backup. When getting to the last number, it is simple to just go back to one. If a person devotes one set of batteries to each flashlight, this system should work.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
I've got several different types of boxes that hold batteries. I've got a 3.5" floppy box that's been cut to hold AA batteries, as well as some other containers that hold batteries vertically. Charged batteries are held '+' side up. If the batteries is used, they're put back '+' side down.

For boxes that hold batteries horizontally, like 2x18650 (or 4xCR123) containers, I write a '+' on the bottom at one edge. If the '+' terminal is above the +, then it's charged. If the '-' terminal is above the +, it's used.

Never had a problem this way (and hopefully, I'll never drop a box).

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
I have just bought an MTM shotgun cartridge box that holds 50x12GA cartridges, as a 12AG cartridge is about 19mm diameter (they are available to hold from 5 cartridges/cells up to 100 I think, with the 25 cartridge holder under $3 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...x-12-or-20-gauge-2-3-4-and-3-25-round-plastic
& the 100 cartridge holder just $14 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...-handle-12-or-20-gauge-2-3-4-3-100-round-camo
Bit dearer here in the UK though with me paying £12 or about $15 for the 50 sized box.
This holds my 18650 collection + up for charged cells & - up for cells at storage voltage (you could obviously do it the other way around).
I have also bought a small plastic toolbox to hold my 26650"s, this I am adding a tray with 28mm holes cut out of it & this holds 36 x 26650"s.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
+1
I do have two 18650 storeacell holders, but have yet to try them out. I planned on buying a couple extra sets of 4 18650's for my Olight X7 but have not done so yet, so I am not sure about them tearing the wrapper by being too tight of a fit, but I have torn the wrapper off of Efest AAA cells with the storeacell holders, it doesn't do anything to my Eneloops though.

I use the Storacell packs for most of my cells. The easiest way to tell the difference is to put the full cells in with the positive terminal towards the open end of the slot. Then, when you replace a run down cell with one of the fully charged one, just put the empty cell in with the positive end towards the closed end. Makes it easy to tell at a glance which is which. I don't use the Storacells for my 18650 lights, since another member reported problems with the fit being very tight, to the point that the wrapper was torn. I use the standard plastic 'travel soap' type cased for those. There, I use the same method. The charged cells have the top facing away from the hinge end, and the drained cells just the opposite. Again, easy to tell at a glance.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any two-compartment container or drawer: One side has the charger(s) and any cells that need to be charged, other side has cells that are ready to go.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of those Plano divided storage cases with adjustable partitions. For my NiMH and li-ion batteries/cells, I keep them in those little plastic snap cases and some of those go into the Plano. For most of my li-ions, they're just inside of my flashlights and any extras are grouped together.

For li-ions that aren't being used often (3 months plus) I discharge them down to about 3.6v-3.7v, place them in the snap cases and they all go into ziplock baggies and into the fridge.

My NiMH batteries are always charged, so I don't worry about segregating things too much. They sell large and small plastic snap cases, so you can always buy a bigger one and place the depleted stuff in those and then mark the storage box 'depleted.'

Chris

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've got one of those Plano divided storage cases with adjustable partitions. For my NiMH and li-ion batteries/cells, I keep them in those little plastic snap cases and some of those go into the Plano. For most of my li-ions, they're just inside of my flashlights and any extras are grouped together.

For li-ions that aren't being used often (3 months plus) I discharge them down to about 3.6v-3.7v, place them in the snap cases and they all go into ziplock baggies and into the fridge.

My NiMH batteries are always charged, so I don't worry about segregating things too much. They sell large and small plastic snap cases, so you can always buy a bigger one and place the depleted stuff in those and then mark the storage box 'depleted.'

Chris
I have a larger Flambeau case I got from Walmart that holds AAs perfectly that I keep nimh and lithium type batteries and coin/button cell batteries too. I keep my non button/coin sized alkalines in a separate case and am glad as 2 of the batteries in it have already leaked (rayovac & duracell).