Hunting coyote at night

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
I have a new AR 15 that I will be taking to shoot coyotes (night is best) and am looking to get the best light for under $120 to be mounted.

Reqs:
Long throw
800+ lumens
Tail button with hold on/click on modes
18650x1 power
Created with weapon use in mind/can handle recoil of .223 and .308 caliber rifles.

Would like:
USB recharging

The Olight R40 would be great except for their proprietary battery. I'm also considering the Olight M22 Warrior but don't know much about weapon lights from other brands.

Sorry if I left anything out, I'm new to the world of tactical flashlights. I've only owned a maglite xl50 and discovered all of the options out there when I began looking for a Christmas gift light (separate thread).

Thanks!

herektir

Newly Enlightened
Having shot at coyotes and lighting them up at night several times i can say this. They turn tail and move away from any white light in a second presenting a poor shot at them. A fenix tk22 with i think 15 or 16k candela 720 lumen lit it up ok at about 120 yards but much beyond that they blend with the background too damn much. Likely need in the region of 50k+ candela to truly light them up well.

Something ive seen 3 times now though is if you defocus a red laser 650nm roughly 200mw to a 10 foot spot shine it on them they do not notice, they keep on doing what they were doing. We had one spotted for a full minute before the good shot presented itself, one to the head, it didnt suffer. Was measured by laser rangefinder the next morning at 132 yards. Very few normal red led lights can shine that far bright enough to see crosshairs, neverminding the fact that they are usualy 635 orangish red, not pure red. Coyotes and pigs do seem to have some reaction to the slightly more orange light.

Last edited:

herektir

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much exactly what i have but mine is over 4 years old. That one is out of stock however.