I have been away for awhile- where did Virgil and Alaric go?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

theastronaut

Newly Enlightened
Of course so much of this thread is likely speculation but thinking some consider a thread closed as a bad thing. I believe that the objective of the moderator(s) was to keep threads to the point and when the question was answered, close the thread so as not to have future viewers waste time with tangential rambling that we members are so prone to engage.

Was pride involved? Yes but wanting something that you watch over to be accurate and useful is not a bad thing.

When a person is not getting paid to provide a service, it is downright natural to not be interested in being polite, not interested in wasting time with asides, balloons and posers. Some people like to chew the fat, others want that meat now and move on to the next thing.
Agreed 100%

It's sad to see them go. I used to recommend that anyone who had questions about automotive lighting upgrades check here first because the info posted was accurate and backed up with proof.

Now it's no better than any other forum; everyone just posts "I like ______, tHeY'rE rEaLy BrIgHt!" :rolleyes:

jzchen

Enlightened
I hope someone with this depth of insight will come and be moderator someday soon:

"Alaric is right; virtually all of the aftermarket "upgrade" lights are in fact a serious downgradein terms of safety and legality. You're going to want to exercise parental authority and say N-O on this; he either needs to stay with the stock lamps (with correct, specified-type bulbs) or install legitimate alternative taillights such as the factory export-type units with amber (not clear) turn signal compartments. Those linked auctions appear to be for appropriate lamps, but they also appear to not include the bulb sockets. This requires a lot of care and caution, because there are many sockets that will physically fit and click into place, but they are not all functionally the same...they hold the bulb at a variety of different positions not only rotationally but also axially, that is the length distance from the back of the socket to the filament. The filaments have to be positioned correctly for the reflector and lens, or else you don't get an appropriate, safe amount and distribution of light even though the lamp appears to light up."

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is pretty much obvious to anyone who knows how optics and light sources work, this is not an example of depth of insight, just basic knowledge of optics.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
That is pretty much obvious to anyone who knows how optics and light sources work, this is not an example of depth of insight, just basic knowledge of optics.

And that's just it: its NOT obvious to everyone. The majority of people asking questions in this specific group are non-experts. They don't know anything about that sort of stuff. They only know what they've learned online from very very bad sources, most of which originate from clueless people who spread misinformation in other car forums.

Vehicle lighting is probably one of the most misunderstood automotive engineering segments.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember where that quote came from, it was about replacing tail light plug, and i said use brand HELP it makes sockets and other small parts, i used that brand many times in a shop, and i know for a fact, it is identical to stock as far as filament distance, if you pick correct one from the list. So anyone who would buy it, would get a proper replacement. These two never provided answer which specific brand that is good and which is bad, i did and got attacked for it, including in nasty pms, those 2 would find a way to attack you even if you said the same thing they did in other posts. Like it was only them who were allowed to say correct things, In any case good riddance of those 2 toxic bullies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I kinda enjoyed playing the game. Would my post vanish or remain? It took a few tries to figure out what would remain and what would vanish. I didn't see the big deal. It's not like the world championship was at stake or people will die if my post gets removed. It's a chat board for Pete's sake....speaking of Pete, so where's Pete Yetman?

I kinda enjoyed playing the game. Would my post vanish or remain? It took a few tries to figure out what would remain and what would vanish. I didn't see the big deal. It's not like the world championship was at stake or people will die if my post gets removed. It's a chat board for Pete's sake....speaking of Pete, so where's Pete Yetman?
Pete was robbed to pay Paul.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well, my concern was he fell into a beer vat trying to retrieve his Streamlight ProTac 1L AA before it got sucked into a beer bottle and that Virgil & Arlec were trying to retrieve him before he got sucked into a beer bottle.

People who know their stuff, know it well, and are not afraid to speak up, often ruffle the feathers of those that don't but want to think they do. Where a safety item is concerned like automotive lighting, there really is no grey area. Virgil could have used some more tact at times, but imagine his frustration having to repeat the same thing over and over to people convince they are right?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honest to goodness thought they were the same person posting to boost their own ego and never could figure out how nobody noticed it. Guess I was wrong.
very well could be the case, right after ownership of the forum changed, few people that have not posted for years, suddenly logged in just to say how valuable of a member he is and how forum needs them. lol, it was so unnatural, and fake, that no one would believe it. now if he did that split personality thing, he may have logged into dormant accounts and post as if it was those people. It is pretty low and lame, but from those two, or one, it would not be unexpected.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm?!?!? The australian guy? he was a strict rule follower but i can not say a bad word about him even thou he did removed few of my images. He actually did go out of his way and got me a light only available in australia, and send it to me to nyc, He actually volunteered to do that. I had no idea he passed away, RIP Norm.

Norm?!?!? The australian guy? he was a strict rule follower but i can not say a bad word about him even thou he did removed few of my images. He actually did go out of his way and got me a light only available in australia, and send it to me to nyc, He actually volunteered to do that. I had no idea he passed away, RIP Norm.

I've read other members' posts about Norm being helpful and kind. May he rest in peace. :au:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My nemesis was Norm, but I can't traduce him due to it being really bad form ...... plus he's dead, and therefore can't defend his actions. :(
I looked up the word traduce and a bunch of its synonyms, which made me hungry from all of the brain activity so I made a sandwich and fell asleep. I dreamed of synonyms until they were replaced with cinamin, so I woke up hungry and thinking of the word maligned.

Status
Not open for further replies.