I need a "Wall Of Light"!

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
sure, two lights is always a solution!
BUT i've got something for short to medium already, the Fenix TA20 (awesome light btw, i really enjoy the UI).

i don't really need a thrower, sure it looks cool, but something with good flood is more helpful in everyday life i suppose.

do all Wolf-Eyes run only on the 18650s?

who owns the Eagletac M3s? i think the output settings are really nice, long runtime as well, the only thing i'd worry about is its ruggedness.
can an owner of the Eagletac M3 tell me how he feels about them? sure it's heavy, but it looks kind of flimsy, is it even fully aluminium?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd do well to buy a bored C2 and triple XPG dropin from Oveready. Be sure to get F04 diffuser too. There is your wall of light, 18650 with the ability to run primary 123s.

C2 1.25 inch bezel uses FM34 beam diffuser

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
+ 1 for the Oveready triple XP-G, first class quality and a lovely beam. I run mine in a bored out custom 9P and IMO it makes for the ideal EDC.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the requirement HAS TO BE primary cr123s, then I would recommend a nailbender sst-90 dropin and a p60 host like a surefire 6p or maybe a solarforce. The sst-90 is going to be the closest thing to a wall of light as you can get compared to the moddoo triple xp-g. (Close, but not quite). Nailbender recommends 3.6 to 6v which is within range of 2 cr123s although I'm not sure if he endorses running that dropin on primary cells since it is a direct drive. I would check with him on that. $80 for the dropin and $20 for a solarforce host ($60 if you want a surefire 6p). Not that bad of a price if you want a bright wall of light.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
ok, so right now I've limited myself to the following:

Olight SR50
Sunwayman M60R
Jetbeam RRT-3
Fenix TK45
Eagletac M3C4

i'm probably gonna order all of the at once, to see which i like best.

btw is there any chance Eagletac might release a two-piece version of the M series? really the only thing i dislike about the lights.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
WHOA!!! That's over $1 per lumen! Being a Surefire I don't imagine it would be too wise to stick rechargables in there :poof:

And man, that's an ugly light!

Heh....$450 flashlight and a $64 diffuser....uhhh, no thanks :eek:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, so right now I've limited myself to the following:

Olight SR50
Sunwayman M60R
Jetbeam RRT-3
Fenix TK45
Eagletac M3C4

i'm probably gonna order all of the at once, to see which i like best.

btw is there any chance Eagletac might release a two-piece version of the M series? really the only thing i dislike about the lights.

I vote for the Olight SR50 and Sunwayman M60R. Both are similarly priced and seem to perform similarly. However, keep in mind that the Olight M31 puts out more light and has a bit more throw than the SR50 though (according to one of Olight's main vendors).
The RRT-3, while very attractive, is larger and pricier. The Eagletac seems to have problems with the hex screws in the back and has parasitic drain unless you use the clicky tailcap (which can run you into those hex screw problems). The Fenix is fine, but it's so ugly to me. Plus if you run it in alkalines, it won't perform as well as if you ran it on Eneloops.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
Mag P7?
ae59Dd

davidt

Enlightened
How about the wolf eyes thunder, I consider it to be quite floody.

-It can take primaries or 18650s.
-You can purchase it with either 1 mode high only, 2 mode high and low, 4 mode high, medium, low, stobe. Low mode is advertised to run 75 hours.
-855 claimed emitter lumens, using 3 R2 leds. On the wolf eyes website there is a 3 XPG model claiming 1150 lumens.
-It is pretty well built.

The only thing I don't like is there is a slight humm when in lower modes.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
are you sure the Wolf eyes can take primaries? i thought all WE ONLY accept 18650s?

Olight SR50 and Sunwayman M60R definitely seem the most sturdy of my list. if the Fenix wouldn't have the minigun-shaped head, it would also consider it as sturdy as the others.

runtimes and modes look best on the Eagletac (considering it uses only 4 CR123s, contrary to the Sunwayman M60R, which uses 6 and gets lower runtimes out of it) and the Fenix Tk45 to me, for UI i like selector rings a lot.

the jetbeam RRT3 definitely hast too many (useless imo) modes.

Olight M31 was also an option, but they warn you on their website not to use it on Turbo for extended periods.

if only the eagletac would be a 2-piece construction, without all those screws, i would take it in a sec.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Hmmm, I'm also looking for a "wall of light" flashlight that has an insane output. Currently, my best flashlight for flood is the TK45. I also have the TK40 and two LD20s.

I like these lights because over the summer I primarily used them for snorkeling and the Fenixes are IPX-8 waterproof. I would not swim down to anything deeper than 6-7 feet, mostly 4 feet, and they are rated for up to 12 feet I think. Either way, all four have been underwater for countless hours and none of them have had any leaks or problems. I also put plumber's grease on all the threads for that extra measure.

I have lots of AA eneloops that I use for these lights, but realize the capacity limitations of eneloops vs. CR123A or 18650 batteries. My main necessity would be a 800+ floodlight that is IPX-8 waterproof that can last at least 2 hours on the highest setting. The brighter, the better!

davidt

Enlightened
Yep, xamoel the Wolf eyes thunder can take CR123s. I'm running mine on cr123s right now.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
omg! WE is back in business!

is there a decrease in brightness when using CR123s? less runtime is obvious, i guess.

davidt

Enlightened
Sorry I don't really have any way to test if brightness is less with CR123 vs 18650. I have not observed any difference in brightness when using CR123 vs 18650. I believe the light is designed to run in full brightness with either primaries or 18650. I have never seen it mentioned anywhere that there would be a reduction in brightness when using primaries.

I have never done a run time test with primaries, all I know is the light will run 109 minutes with AW 2600mAh.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
wow, really 109 min? that would be more than WE claim on their website!

is heating up on turbo mode a problem for the light?
and are there O-rings? i read it's "splashproof" on the website, not sure what that means...

flashfiend

Enlightened
Whatever light you get, I'd say to replace the lens with a UCL (Ultra Clear Lens) w/ LDF (Light Diffusion Film) from flashlightlens.com. This really creates that wall of light effect for me. Really disperses the beam even on lights that are already floody.