I sure could use some advice on buying a spotlight for hurricane season.

Raven

Enlightened
Here's what I'm looking for: something reliable something that uses D or C batteries (preferably D) less than 50 dollars sufficiently bright to cut throw a major storm All suggestions welcome. Thank you.

roadie

Enlightened
Here's what I'm looking for: something reliable something that uses D or C batteries (preferably D) less than 50 dollars sufficiently bright to cut throw a major storm All suggestions welcome. Thank you.

c or d cells that has yellow beams to pentrenare rain ....

hmmmm, a maglite?
then after using sometime, u can happily come to cpf and get mods to upgrade it ......

:D

Norm

Retired Administrator
The hard case 4 D is hard to beat for an incandescent lantern very tough and waterproof.
Yeah, I know how Google works (and Amazon too), but I'm looking for recommendations.
I wasn't doubting your ability to use google but wasn't sure what type of lantern you were looking for.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the craftsman 6V...it comes with a 4-D adapter, so you can use both types of batteries. Then I'd throw one of radio shack's 4.8V xenon bulb in there or a m@glite 3 cell white-star to overdrive it a bit. Plus, you can stow a spare bulb behind the reflector, and it has a battery indicator built in, as well as a pivoting stand, not to mention solid construction. If money weren't an issue, I'd get a SF M6!:poke:

Here's a pic of mine with a tigerstripe paint job (they come yellow stock)
HPIM1297.jpg

HPIM1300.jpg

KingGlamis

Banned
If you want throw to see in a storm maybe try a hand-held spot light that is rechargeable. There are many available with X-million candlepower for relatively cheap. Here's a cheap one I have shining through an AZ dust storm.

a5-3.jpg

I also keep one in my truck that doesn't have any batteries, you just plug it into the 12V power outlet. These are super light weight for their size, which can be nice if you are holding it out the window.

Illum

Flashaholic
rain is an incredibly hard medium to transfer light through...hurricane preparation lights should have the following criteria:

• easy to grab and go
  • waterproof or weatherproof minimum
  • uses cells that will not leak and last quite awhile [L92 compatability] such as 6V lantern cells, Energizer lithium AA/AAA cells, CR123A, LSD NiMH cells, etc
  • long runtime, not necessarily the brightest in your box, probably best for 5mm LEDs or CREE XR-C LED.
  • A good thrower for an outdoor light
  • Something that can ceiling bounce or flood for indoors
Incandescent flashlights are best for throw, and they are usually satisfactory for signaling, but runtime will inevitably short:candle: :poof:.