I thought Surefires were waterproof...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Anybody know of a good way to clean off the reflector of my A2? It has kind of a chalky looking substance over a portion of the reflector, I am assuming from chemicals in the water. I guess the water got in and the heat evaporated the water, leaving behind the residue. I have filled the reflector repeatedly with hot water, soap, etc, and it hasn't helped much.

Is the water you are rinsining it in distilled?

I'd rinse it out with alcohol a few times in a row then give it a rinse in distiled water. Should not have any residue after that.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Otherwise call SF and they'll send you a new head I guess. Cleaning a reflector is difficult at best and often futile, and the A2 reflector is an integral part of the head IIRC, so a new one won't be possible.
bernie

IcantC

Enlightened
Yeah I think wiping would ruin it. I thought about purchasing a new reflector, but really it isn't that bad. And no telling what a new one costs. I may try some Simple Green or something.

Hmmm I wouldnt try simple green, it would damage the reflector.

I guess if SF replaces it, let them do it.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Is the water you are rinsining it in distilled?

I'd rinse it out with alcohol a few times in a row then give it a rinse in distiled water. Should not have any residue after that.

No, I am not using distilled water, I will try that. I was using tap water to try to get some force from the faucet to help blow it out. The residue doesn't seem to be from the rinsing water (the line of residue on the reflector hasn't changed) but I agree that distilled would be better. I thought about using alcohol, too. What about mineral spirits?

Hmmm I wouldnt try simple green, it would damage the reflector.

Ok, thanks. I won't try that...

Last edited: