I won't trust Hella bulbs any more.

eggsalad

Enlightened
My car is an early-build 2005 model (6/2004). At almost 9 years, I felt that maybe the OE Koito H4 were showing their age.

Wanting to try something different, I ordered a pair of Hella H4 in yellow. Imagine my dismay when they arrived stamped "Made in India".

With the original bulbs, the cutoff line was dead even. With the Hella bulbs, the cutoff line for the left light was 1 foot higher, at 25'.

The yellow tinted lasted less than 1 month (30 hours actual use). Now, I can no longer tell them from clear bulbs.

Lesson learned. Unless the vendor specifically states that they are selling German-made Hella bulbs, I won't touch another Hella bulb.

Fortunately, they were pretty inexpensive. I won't feel bad about binning them.

-eggsalad

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hella has never been a bulb manufacturer -- their bulbs have always been private-branded by an actual bulb maker. Years ago they sold only first-line bulbs from the reputable makers (Philips, Osram, occasionally Tungsram). Then they started shopping and shipping the lesser European makers (Top-Gerlux, for example, made their not-very-good 160/100w H4s). Now it's all India/China.

Nine years of life from an H4 is a very long time -- either you don't do much night driving, or your headlamp circuit under-feeds the bulbs and as a result their lifespan is greatly extended.

The Philips Xtreme Vision is the best standard-wattage E-marked H4 bulb presently on the market. Same goes for its DOT-marked 9003 (HB2) counterpart.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the original bulbs, the cutoff line was dead even. With the Hella bulbs, the cutoff line for the left light was 1 foot higher, at 25'.

That might be more attributable to the bulb not being properly seated in the headlamp assembly, but I suppose it doesn't take a lot of filament placement sloppiness to affect the beam pattern like that.

I can (at least subjectively) vouch for the Philips X-Treme Power, which I have in my Previa-- when those go I'll replace 'em with the newer (and better) X-Treme Vision.

The yellow tinted lasted less than 1 month (30 hours actual use). Now, I can no longer tell them from clear bulbs.

Ouch. I'm picturing a tint painted on the envelope that just cooked off and is now attached to the inside of the rest of the lamp assembly. Or maybe it wasn't a very light-stable pigment but at least it didn't become smoke. Still, doesn't give one a good feeling about the quality of those bulb-like objects.

eggsalad

Enlightened
Nine years of life from an H4 is a very long time -- either you don't do much night driving, or your headlamp circuit under-feeds the bulbs and as a result their lifespan is greatly extended.

Some combination of both, I expect. The car doesn't even have 65K on it, and, being a Toyota, the wires are tiny. I haven't gotten around to designing a proper relay circuit for the switched-ground lamps yet.

Last edited:

DenCon

Newly Enlightened
I had Hella 80/100 H4s (for off roading, of course) and blew through low beams a lot - even with a proper relay harness. Electrics tested OK. I complained to Hella about this and they sent me 10 pair of replacements. I believe they were manufactured in India. They didn't last very long, but at least I can't knock Hella's customer service.