ideal charger for 16340 (RCR123A)

codrutoctavian

Newly Enlightened
I want to get the best charger for 16340 (RCR123A) Li-Ion batteries which is NOT a Pila charger (which is difficult to find anyway). The features I am looking for:

- NOT made in China
- precise (cut the charging at 4.2 V sharp)

and ideally I would also like:

- the be an intelligent charger, and to have monitoring software. I am not familiar with hobby chargers but I guess the software can be used to detect/predict when a battery is old and has to be replaced.

I am not interested in battery packs, I am using plain 16340 cells.

What options do I have? The maximum price is 200 EUR (~270 USD) including the power station (which will be connected to the 220 V mains) and the casing in which the 16340 are to be charged.

Thanks,
Codrut

RBWNY

Enlightened
There are many 16340 chargers available. Most are rather inexpensive. Most that are discussed on these forums don't cost much more than the PILA! (around $50) Personally, I know of none which have the monitoring station you spoke of, and although handy, I don't think it would be necessary 9 out of 10 times. The PILA is avilable from several well known retailers including Lighthound.com

The ones most recommended here, outside of PILA and Cotonpickers/hobby chargers, would be the Xtar WPII, and the 4sevens Single Bay Charger. These 2 units are switchable, and safer for 16340 since a charging rate of 500mAh can be selected. The PILA charges at 600mAh for ALL cells. The 4sevens has the basic requirements you're looking for (except perhaps for [I think] being made in China). Not finding one that's chinese-made might be your biggest obstacle. All of these units will handle other size Li-ions in addition to 16340. The PILA requires extra spacers for RCR's.

Last edited:

codrutoctavian

Newly Enlightened
Thank your for reply. The 4sevens Single Bay charger it is compatible only with rechargeable protected batteries and I am not using protected ones. I will check the Xtar WPII.
I have also found the Schulze LiPoCard3 which seems to be made in Germany. Is this right? The Schulze has also monitoring software.

lampy

Newly Enlightened
How about Cottonpickers - Worlds smallest Li-ion charger with display?

Its in the marketplace under WTS Electronics/batteries.

True cc/cv algorithm with constant voltage display I think a single mAh setting with display will cost about $27 delivered......

From reading the thread it appears a few guys are selling their Pila for these.

It will be the next charger I buy.

Ooops forgot to mention it is USB powered - but easy enough with a wall plug

Last edited:

codrutoctavian

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I ended up with a Pro-Tronik AP6BLC which seems to be a french version of Turnigy Accucel-6 as it has the same characteristics. I found a very good deal in a local shop and got it for about 70 EUR. It comes with power unit, some cables and a nice aluminum case. Probably it is made in China but it seems of high quality and good as an all around charger:

http://www.a2pro-online.com/media/manuals/electronics/7706-AP6blc-english.pdf

Now I will try to modify my TrustFire TR-0001 to serve only as battery holder and connect it to the Pro-Tronik. I disassembled it and believe me, anything is better than this cheap charger. Even I can do better soldering.