if i replace them weekly are alkines safe?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya that is very strange. Oh well if alkaline is working for you, rock on
365E7AD8-265F-4115-BA5F-717367F85BE8.png

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
i froget but like 18 years from now id guess

OK. Here's a 'long shot' guess, which is pure speculation at this point, but:

The Energizer L91 spec sheet I'm looking at says the OCV (open circuit voltage) is ~1.8V. I think that's a bit higher than for an alkaline like Duracell. People are always carrying on about how uniquely great the Zebra drivers are, how efficient they are, etc. Could it be that they also may not like the higher OCV of the L91?

For grins, sometime you may want to do the Duracell / L91 brightness test on a different AA light than the Zebra. I think I recall you may also have a Fenix? Anyway, it would be worth trying a different AA light just to see if this is some undesirable by-product of the 'uniquely wonderful' Zebra driver.

Again, no batt expert here, but a test using a different AA light would just be 'good procedure', so it's worth a try if you have a chance.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
6BC3D463-758B-468A-97A8-CABEFE47A022.jpeg

Bought in 2014, no leaks.

A823EC4F-E976-4E8F-89FE-AE90C15DBE52.jpeg

Bought same summer.

Both ride in a truck year round so they live in the heat or cold or both (as in cold until I heat the truck.)
Both are backups so they don't get used much. Ha, and batteries may leak tomorrow but so far so good.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You know Mr. Fixer, that I was thinking of you, and how many restored flashlights you have in your stable.

Just because a cell leaks, it doesn't mean the that the light has to be tossed in the garbage. I've restored toys that had catastrophic alkaline failures.

I believe that before a cell leaks one would notice a drop in performance and a true flashaholic would swap that cell out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sometimes Poppy, as you know the ooze goes places that causes a product to fail in a way that cannot be solved but as a rule many times the light can be repaired unless my pa-n-law tried to fix it first. By the time he sends it to me it's too late. Last one was a Pelican 2320 he had soaked in Coca Cola.

Shoot last night I noticed a trail of shiney stuff running down a chest of drawers we use as a tool storage bin. A can of Loktite spray on adhesive had leaked like an alkaline battery. That was like cleaning up hot bubble gum.

Citrisol to the rescue (again). Man that stuff is like magic. And smells like orange kool aid.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a habit of running down all my free alkalines in cheap devices, but even in short term keeping an eye on things, they sometimes leak. I am usually but not always able to clean things up, but often corroded cell contacts are unreliable. Leak getting into electronics is another matter.

I keep small collection of springs and contacts salvaged from other devices which might be used as replacements. Cell holders for dollar-store LED strings come to mind.

Agreed, worst case is being surprised by an item sitting around with leaking cells, unnoticed.

One case I lucked out was a decent digital camera from thrift store for $4, sold low as AA's had obviously leaked. Cell contacts/springs were plated with something (gold?) which was not corroded by the leak. I was able to clean off and camera worked great (I still keep these around, smartphone regardless).

Dave

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pm incoming.

Thanx for the note Sir. I recall seeing it, and the substance of it, but after checking into the details, and as I now look for it in hopes of 'reply'ing to it, I don't seem to be able to locate it!(?).

Clearly, I need to find a 'help' item for 'PM's, because I obviously don't know how they work (had not received one previously:)

In any case, thanx for the info. Often life can be made easier by knowing, having, and using the right solvents!

flashflood

Enlightened
It seems to have more to do with manufacturing variability than age. Last year I bought a bunch of Duracell AAA cells (expiration date March 2028) and put them in a plastic battery organizer. A few days ago I needed three AAAs for a remote, and found that one of the ones I grabbed had leaked. I checked the rest of the organizer and found two more that had leaked, out of about 20 total. All of these were bought at the same time, same lot, stored at room temperature, in the dark. None of them had ever been under load.

From my standpoint, alkaline batteries are simply not trustworthy. There is no way to tell a good one from a leaker. Never put alkaline batteries in something valuable.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It seems to have more to do with manufacturing variability than age. Last year I bought a bunch of Duracell AAA cells (expiration date March 2028) and put them in a plastic battery organizer. A few days ago I needed three AAAs for a remote, and found that one of the ones I grabbed had leaked. I checked the rest of the organizer and found two more that had leaked, out of about 20 total. All of these were bought at the same time, same lot, stored at room temperature, in the dark. None of them had ever been under load.

From my standpoint, alkaline batteries are simply not trustworthy. There is no way to tell a good one from a leaker. Never put alkaline batteries in something valuable.
That is why I call them alkaleaks as you can't trust them not to alkaspew and ruin your stuff.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Hard to say. I've seen brand new alkalines in their packaging leak. That being said, I have two Mag-D lights that I have Malkoff drop-ins that have had those batteries in there for 3-years already without issue.

Now that I say that, I should probably replace them with newer ones, just because.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My dad used to say Maglite flashlights caused batteries to leak since that was the only product he used where the batteries leaked. In our house a BiC lighter was the flashlight until one reached the nearby candle. The flashlight was a tool for working on the tv or under the hood of the car. Perhaps to find something in the unlit garage. So he kept his Maglite unloaded.

I've seen over the years a battery leaks when it leaks. There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason. I put some through the paces with no issue yet every so often for no apparent reason I catch one leaking.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I picked up a gas detector wand that I haven't touched in a couple of years. Yep, the alkalines destroyed it. Fortunately it wasn't very expensive and I have a backup unit.