I'm Fussy About Clips

BIGLOU

Enlightened
DNA Nice Photos. I like the FM 18500 set up. It is a beauty queen. The clip looks sick on it. Wow! I'm going to have to get me one now. My Z2 has a MD M61 and the G2X is stock. FYI I have the MD M60 and M61, but I recently become a Nailbender Drop-in Whore and been rocking his XMLs which work great and come in different speeds and smooth and op option reflectors. Cleared my In Box for PMs.

recDNA

Flashaholic
recDNA,

Thanks. Since you a perfectionist I would not sleeze in THD and try to rush this install. I dont know if there is a Harbor Frieght were you live but I got some Pittsburg Snap Ring pliers there for like $3 bucks, you dont need a Snap-on one. Also you probably would want the Z59 on the body so that the clip is lined up perfectly on one of the flashlight flats, so you will have to tighten it while keeping the clip in line and play with it a little to line it up. This install is eazy and you dont have to boil or bake the tailcap. The snap ring pliers come with different interchangable heads so you just need to find which one will work with the Z59, I found just using the head part without the pliers worked for me. If while installing you do slip and scratch the tailcap, use a sharpie or black nail polish to cover them.

The SS Moddoo tailcap I got back in 09 I think and it was considered the "Thin Run" and is longer than the one sold by OR. I use the Z58/Z59/HDS on my G2X. Oh and recRNA dont trade you C2 you'll regret it later from a Flashaholic to a Flashaholic and try the other Solarforce two way clip for know until the Z59 clip comes back in stock its cheap in price and you will like it.

Just for you recDNA. Here is my Z2 with the SS "Thin Run" Moddoo Clipped Z59 and 6PD Bezel
DSC03218.jpg

DSC03219.jpg

Here is the shorter Z58/Z59/HDS Black Clip next to the longer SS "Thin Run" Clip
DSC03221.jpg

Here is my G2X with the Black Z58/Z59/HDS black clip and GG&G TID on an AW 17670
100_4345.jpg

Can you actually get the clip to engage in your pocket with the grip rings in the way?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Please don't find another entire genre of money sucking beauties for me to fall in love with!

BTW, I notice I always have a space between the Z2 or FM 18500 body and bezel that these pics don't show. Is that because my drop ins are too long for the bezel to screw all the way down?

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
The moneygrubbers at PhotoBucket have spoiled all the pictures in this thread.

I'm also picky about clips, looking for sources. Any additions would be most welcome.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The moneygrubbers at PhotoBucket have spoiled all the pictures in this thread.

I'm also picky about clips, looking for sources. Any additions would be most welcome.
Wow you found an old thread. Not much of what is here is relevant anymore. Too bad about the pictures though.

wjv

Enlightened
Reversible is nice, as is deep carry.

Don't care about color as long as it is something reasonable (not Hot Pink, Green. . . )

Don't care is it does/does not have screws. Screws lock the clip on more securely, but typically mean the clip is not reversible. But if it is lens down anyway, then I don't care. In fact, I almost prefer that the clip is screwed in.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Reversible is nice, as is deep carry.

Don't care about color as long as it is something reasonable (not Hot Pink, Green. . . )

Don't care is it does/does not have screws. Screws lock the clip on more securely, but typically mean the clip is not reversible. But if it is lens down anyway, then I don't care. In fact, I almost prefer that the clip is screwed in.
I think I wrote that over 10 years ago. I actually prefer bezel down with screw on clip as well but with normal phillips head screws not some metric only found in eastern Europe weird *** inside out bolts I can't find a driver for!

wjv

Enlightened
I think I wrote that over 10 years ago. I actually prefer bezel down with screw on clip as well but with normal phillips head screws not some metric only found in eastern Europe weird *** inside out bolts I can't find a driver for!

Typically a TORX type head. I found a set of wrenches at ACE for ~$10.00. Got them because most all of the knife makers use that same type of head on their screws/bolts.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Typically a TORX type head. I found a set of wrenches at ACE for ~$10.00. Got them because most all of the knife makers use that same type of head on their screws/bolts.
It annoys the hell out of me. I have no other use for them. Why not a Phillip's head?

wjv

Enlightened
Phillips tend to cam out, under torque

Yup!

The TORX are far superior for those applications.

The driver set has a handle and 4 double sided bits. The bits fit inside the handle when not being used.

Thinking back I believe the set was ~6-7 bucks at the local ACE hardware.

(Knife is a Kershaw Cryo - Blackwash)

5ZcJiaL.jpg

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as clip go, I like deep pocket carry but the 3/4" above pocket with my H600w is acceptable.
My main concerns with clips are that they remain secure, don't destroy my pocket very quickly at all, and that they don't bend out fail.
My ZL clip is holding up great after several years now pocket carrying my H600w.
I've got a Spiderco knife that I've only carried for half as many years and the clip is bent loose from catching on seatbelts, etc. Gotta get the right Torx head, remove it, bend, and reattach it.
The clip on H style Zebralight clip however, performs as new.
I do have it marine grade heat shrink tube reinforced though because I don't want the springy C clasp onto the light to ever come loose. With the heat shrink, the clip is so secure that the clip would bend without it detaching from the light, it's permanent unless I decide to cut it off.

Last edited: