Dawg

Enlightened
turbodog said:
I took my own advice.

See what I found!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110094405836

Another set won't hurt me, will it?

:p

And these are the original acoustic research models before they were renamed to advent.
Hello turbodog. I thought I was the only one that liked the powered partners. I used to have three sets myself. A good friend begged me till I sold him a set, he uses them as amps for his guitars. He is a musician. I am down to one set of the original AR's and a set of the Advents. Maybe if you ever need more I can sell you a set. :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
I currently have 3 sets already. I am high bidder on 2 sets on ebay right now.

Since they accept dc input also, I plan to mount a pair on my polaris ranger.

Dawg said:
Hello turbodog. I thought I was the only one that liked the powered partners. I used to have three sets myself. A good friend begged me till I sold him a set, he uses them as amps for his guitars. He is a musician. I am down to one set of the original AR's and a set of the Advents. Maybe if you ever need more I can sell you a set. :)

flash_bang

Enlightened
might i suggest the JBL creature II's. they are very nice speakers. clean bass, nice treble and a good buy at only $100. They come in red, white and black, I believe.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best PC speakers, are not PC speakers. Get a good hi-fi amp (similar to the Denon PMA 255 UK), a pair of real wood speakers (KEF Cresta 10), speaker cable and a 3.5mm to RCA phono cable. You may have to do alot of shopping around to get the right price, but it will outperform any 2.1 plastic rubbish.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm currently looking at some acoustic research units on ebay that have a typo in the name. Nobody will ever find them.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe turbo, I've scored so many cheap deals like that before!!! It does take a lot of effort and time but you save a ton!! :D

The logitech z-2300 look nice, (I LOVE the high wattage RMS and the big subwoofer). But I've heard they lack mid-range. Of course 2.5" speakers aren't going to have good mid-range. 5.25"/6.5" has good mid-range but where are you going to find that size for computer speakers ? :p

turbodog

Flashaholic
Right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=190089510659&rd=1&rd=1

IsaacHayes said:
Hehe turbo, I've scored so many cheap deals like that before!!! It does take a lot of effort and time but you save a ton!! :D

The logitech z-2300 look nice, (I LOVE the high wattage RMS and the big subwoofer). But I've heard they lack mid-range. Of course 2.5" speakers aren't going to have good mid-range. 5.25"/6.5" has good mid-range but where are you going to find that size for computer speakers ? :p

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AR are large drivers? Too bad they don't come with a subwoofer! :D

What's the driver size and RMS to them ARs?

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Pair of powered multimedia speakers with 35-watt (rms) built-in amplifiers each

5-inch polypropylene woofers and 1-inch fluid-filled polycarbonate tweeters

40 to 25,000 Hz frequency response

AC power or DC battery operation

Individual bass and treble controls and auto on/off power operation

Each speaker measures 6.5 x 10.5 x 7.6 inches (W x H x D) and weighs 9.92 pounds

They don't need a sub. Part of their beauty is that they are totally self contained. No wall-wart/etc to deal with. They even have 110 volt plugs on the back so one can feed from the other for power... only 1 cord to plug into the wall.

The bass sounds so good because they are an acoustic suspension design. I understand that this isn't very common.

New prices are @ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005LACB/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Ebay prices seem to be about $115 plus shipping.

I have 3 sets. All are about 7-10 years old.

IsaacHayes said:
The AR are large drivers? Too bad they don't come with a subwoofer! :D

What's the driver size and RMS to them ARs?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah accurate bass from sealed box. They probably do thump pretty good but for picture frame rattling bass I still prefer a sub :) Do they make a 12" separate? :D

Hmm. The reviews sound really good.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can say the Z-5500s are decent. I don't know about the US but in Canada you can get them for $199.99 on sale.

Decent bass, the sats are nice and loud. Sure they may not be the best but for the price they are good. The service by logitech is top notch. I had Z-680s before but near the end of the 3 years I had them I blew out the sub and they sent me new Z-5500s to replace them. Works great with my Xbox, Xbox 360 and my PC.

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you want window-rattling bass you're not looking for a pc/multipurpose speaker. You want my stereo. The 12"s and 12" passive radiator will bring down sheetrock from the ceiling.

The powered partners are as good as it gets for all else. You have to see them to understand.

IsaacHayes said:
Ah accurate bass from sealed box. They probably do thump pretty good but for picture frame rattling bass I still prefer a sub :) Do they make a 12" separate? :D

Hmm. The reviews sound really good.