I'm not sure how to feel about AA's...vs 123's...

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened
:confused:So, i've always had cr123 lights, only a few, as the main focus in my flashaholism...surefire e2d, e1b, Fenix p3d...Since reading some posts on the dangers of 123 batteries - (i am only interested in primaries cause i don't use my lights alot) - i have also noticed the popularity of AA sized lights. I would only be interested in the single cell models, cause the 2xAA does not appeal to me. It has got me second guessing cr123a's. I know they are a higher voltage hence more light...but i guess i am just wondering if i should consider "switching teams" :eek: in this regard. I also like the idea of AA's being readily available almost anywhere (yes, i always have spare 123's). I would run lithiums in the AA cell lights anyway, cause i like the extra juice, etc. But it might be nice to know you could always find an alkaline in a pinch. Perhaps i could be just as happy and avoid explosions :duck:using single cell 123 lights...:eek::hairpull::drunk: Holy cow, this is starting to sound like the incoherent ramblings of a lunatic...:tinfoil::wtf:.
Have any of you switched your preference due to dangers of 123's or availabilty of AA's?

Sorry if this is :dedhorse:. I fear it might be.

:thanks: as always!

(I think this is the right forum for this.)

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I switched due to Jamie Hyneman of the Mythbusters; I was well into 123 lights when we here at CPF noticed that the Mythbusters used a 1xAA LED light (I believe it was a Fenix), which at the time I thought was strange - why not opt for the more compact and powerful 123? Not long after that, Jamie explained his preference for AA lights in an interview, that the AA cell is much easier to come by, and should your light run dry, you have plenty of AA-powered items around you to scavenge from. Fight it as I might, I just couldn't overcome the logic - if I'm in an emergency situation and my light dies, finding another 123 is going to be a very difficult or expensive problem (as drug stores usually only carry them at ~$10 each), whereas AAs are everywhere.

That was when I started EDCing a 1xAA light, and found that the thinner body form was much more comfortable and easier to work with than a 123 body (thickness is more obtrusive than length), and that by using a 14500, I had the same if not more output than a 123 light, which the ability to use any of the wide world of AA battery types as a backup. It's just a better system overall.

I still have some 123 lights as crowdpleasers (a Fenix P1D; everyone suddenly gets very interested in LED lights when they see that much light from something that small), but I think 1xAA is the ideal EDC format.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
My first battery choice is AA because of how common they are and that they last 2 1/2 times longer than AAAs for the same price. I have 2 or 3 of the Dorcy 1 CR123's around. The light got good reviews and is a battery vampire to boot. I was just never interested in anything that ran on CR123's since they first came out because of their cost. Someone on CPF who lived thru hurrican Katrina talked about having flashlights for every type of battery because when you have something like Katrina come along you never know what type of batteries are gonna be remaining on the store shelves. So I took that advise to heart and have different flashlights for all the common battery types. That is really the main reason I bought the Dorcy flashlight to have a light that takes CR123's.

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened
StarHalo:
Thanks alot for your input! That is pretty hard logic to fight and i'm not real sure if i'm even interested in fighting it. And geez, i've always loved Mythbusters. :cool: That Jamie seems like a pretty smart dude.
I don't really know anything about rechargables, but are there many things to beware of with 14500's?

I would sure like to hear more opinions too.:thumbsup:
Any more converts out there?:poke:

Thanks Light Sabre for that. I can see your thought process is well founded too!

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
I use both types now but will be a "Happy Camper" the day I see a 4AA P60 host.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've settled in on the singe AA format for EDC. The physical size seems to work best for me. Not too big and not too small. My 2xAA's don't seem as nimble. I also find the single AA never seems like too much light, and it's usually enough to get my simple jobs done. When I need more there's always the 2xAA's and the Malkoff MagLites laying around.

carryxq0.jpg

Last edited:

KD5XB

Enlightened
I have been concerned about "venting with flame" now for some time, and have been using a light that takes TWO CR-123's. Recently I came to the conclusion that all the fires I have read about seem to have been in lights with PAIRS of batteries, so I recently changed to using a single 18650 instead of a pair of CR-123's.

I sure hope my conclusion was right...

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I like both types of lights having several AA single and double type of lights as well as single and double cr123 lights. Recently I went on a bit of a buying binge on the marketplace grabbing as many AA lights and small cr 123 lights I could get.

The logic of having a light that uses batteries that you can get anywhere especially in an emergency has made perfect sense. Given a couple of packs of Energizer AA lithiums and you have great shelf life plus you can buy large packs of AA Duracell and Energizer alkaline batteries with good shelf life from places like HOME DEPOT then you are set for emergencies. Plus if you have to give a light out to someone and they lose it then generally those lights don't cost as much as the CR 123 lights.

I have CR 123 Lights simply because I like them and I can stash a few around as addtional lights for backups and I keep about 40 --50 of those batts on hand. There have been issues with 2 cell CR 123 lights and I have some as well as 3 and 4 cell cr123 lights (Surefires) that I keep on hand as well. My understanding of the 2 battery or more issue is if the batteries are not equal in their voltage and life or if one batt should short out then there could be problems but I always use high quality cells like the Panasonics and always check them and replace them as sets and never singly. I finish running those batts that I take out in single CR123 type lights.
There is great wisdom in having AA lights and a lot of them.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
For non-flashaholics I always recommend the AA lights and nimh batteries but for me, I like the 1 and 2 cell CR123s the best, followed closely by the 18650 lights.

The CR123s just seem like more "fun." Extreme output in a compact size. The AAs are catching up though!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually kind of like the extra work involved in using RCR123 cells. I'm not a modder so checking my cells and charging them frequently is a way to be more involved with my lights. I do like using both types of batteries.

Rexlion

Enlightened
AA batteries are wonderful, lovely things... perfection in a cell. 123s are dirty, nasty, evil things. :nana:

(must... get... tongue... out of... cheek..... ergh!!)

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened
...Slowly coming around to the AA side...Dammit', i kinda wish i hadn't just bought a Quark 123 and Q123-2 NW if i'm gonna change up formats...:ohgeez::broke::sick2::sigh::oops:...

Anybody else?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally solely used AA batteries - NiMH rechargeables and the occasional alkaline. After a few months of being a flashaholic I bought my first CR123 light but I used to treat it with extreme care due to all the explosion threads I'd read.

About 18 months ago I really got into CR123 lights and now own 3 surefires that use them, a few of fenixes and a Quark 123-2. I like the fact that high power is available in a small package, the long shelf life and extreme cold they can operate in. It's also possible to make very lightweight lights that use CR123s :)

They are perfectly safe if you buy quality cells imo. Now I buy a mix of AA and 123 lights depending on application and whatever I feel like at the time. I have a Quark AA too ;)

h2xblive

Enlightened
I have lights that use both, but lights that I use frequently (headlamp and modified mag) use AA and AAA.

123 primaries are expensive and rechargeable 123s are too dangerous and high maintenance for me.

lolzertank

Enlightened
I'm not a 123 person just because AAs store about the same amount of energy but are a lot more flexible. To me, width is a lot more annoying than length. For lights that drain so much power neither AAs can't power them I turn to 18650s and 26650s, not IMR16340s.

No 123s here!

kwkarth

Enlightened
I have been using CR123A's since I bought my first Surefire many years ago and knock on wood, I've never had an incident of any kind with CR123A cells.

I have several 2x123 Surefire, Fenix, Nitecore, and others, and a couple 3x123 lights, Surefire and Olight. I've always been careful to measure the voltage and pull from the same batch, the cells that I'm going to use together in a given light.

When I bought my first E1E, I couldn't imagine a quality torch being any smaller. It never even crossed my mind that one could obtain a high quality torch in a 1AA configuration.

Of course, back then, one couldn't! Times have changed and I have a few 1xAAA, 1xAA, and 2xAA lights, from Fenix, Nitecore, and Quark. With the advent of low self discharge NiMh cells, with energy that exceeds lithium primaries, yet another whole world has opened up.

I have had no problems so far with the Fenix TK40, using 2 parallel banks of 4AAs in series, and with the inexpensive LSD Rayovac 4.0's (under $5.80 for 4) it's cheap and convenient to battery up any time.

I keep at least 16 cells charged up and ready to go at all tiimes. I still measure/match cells before I reload. I will buy a spare magazine for the TK40 when they become available.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with AA for these reasons:

1) In a pinch/emergency, you can get them anywhere
2) They are cheap in bulk (alkaline)
3) You can get them in the lithium style, for storage and natural events (twisters, hurricanes, simple but extended blackouts, etc.)
4) You can use 1.2v LSD Ni-Mh cells and save a bundle of cash

So, all the reasons covered above, I pretty much agree with.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you use expensive lithium AAs your light may get damaged if your alkies or rechargeable cells ever leak. Very cold conditions favor lithium cells.

I have so many of each that, for me, both AA & 123 cells have become "standard" and common. Each has advantages so why "standardize?" Buy & use both. Which, itself, is a standard refrain often posted here on the CPF.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the world at large, AAs are more common than CR123As. My regular EDC is an AA light for that reason.

I'm still hoping Enrique/Muyshondt makes an AA light :)