In need of a charger

Tm98

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and am trying to learn more about how to take of and getting the most out of the rechargeable batteries I will be getting.

My wife will be AA batteries 4 at a time in a speed light or possibly two lights for her business. I am planing on getting eneloops. I just purchased a flashlight that can use a 18650 battery and am planning on getting another that will need the same battery or possibly a different one. I haven't quite decided which one yet. So I am wanting something that will be somewhat universal as far as style of battery that will take care of the smaller type batteries.

From what I have been seeing I would need something that can "break in" a new battery or "maintain" or be able to regulate the battery.

It is still confusing on what I need to keep them in top performance. Like what settings or when to discharge then recharge them or if I leave them longer than when fully charged so it won't damage the batteries.

If you can help with what's the most economical charger for these batteries would be great.

Thanks so much.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore D4 is a good option. Also the Thrunite MCC-4, or the Nitecore I4 as a budget option would also work for both lithium-ion and NiMH cells. In my opinion, something simple like those chargers will work great for most people. You could spend a lot more on dedicated fancy chargers for each type, with a lot more customization options, but those are extra features, and really are not necessary. Break-in and "regulating" batteries (whatever you mean by that) are totally optional, and you can do just fine without ever using those modes/features. All the chargers I listed are very simple and easy to use, better suited for a newbie to rechargeable batteries/cells.

BringerOfLight

Newly Enlightened
From what I have been seeing I would need something that can "break in" a new battery or "maintain" or be able to regulate the battery.
If you stick with Eneloops and LiIon (18650s), you don't need that.

elemen0hpee

Newly Enlightened
I have a nitecore i4 and am happy with it. Easy to use, inexpensive and handles a lot of different cell sizes