In too deep - Maglites

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have quite a collection of 90s Mags most new in packet. 2D-6D, a few C, and the Solitaire and Minis. It seems some mods don't work with the older lights and as you go farther back everything seems to be made to different standards with the pipe being bigger and switches not fitting. I'd hate to be spending a lot if I can barely use the lights. Even getting old bulbs is harder and more expensive than say 10 months ago.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I have a place somewhat locally. It's a commercial battery store. It's where I get my cr123a cells from as they're very affordable. They also used to be to licensed importer of maglite for Ontario, Canada. They haven't been for a while though. But still had some old stock. I was lucky enough to purchase a few 3c lights and most of the rest of their stock of bulbs. But that's it. No more bulbs. What we have now is what we're going to unfortunately. Luckily theyre pretty robust and seem to last well. Fivemega has some bulbs too but they're hot rod bulbs. Not for stock lights

bykfixer

Flashaholic
About 5 years ago I saw the days of bulbs becoming less and less available as manufacturers stopped making them. Same with old Maglite parts. I stocked up while prices were good since many people were clearing out old stock.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
In other news today the value of a 6-cell C sized MagLite is at an all-time high on Egay. Few cared about the lights when they were in production but now they command a premium.

Next up on our news programme we investigate if alkaline batteries are killing your lights but first a word from our sponsers.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
In other news today the value of a 6-cell C sized MagLite is at an all-time high on Egay. Few cared about the lights when they were in production but now they command a premium.

Next up on our news programme we investigate if alkaline batteries are killing your lights but first a word from our sponsers.
Back by popular demand, I have some information on these alkaline cells. Even if they don't burst and destroy your light, most people say that they do not like the three minutes of good output, and then six hours of crap. That is why people have moved to lithium based batteries. Back to you, anchor.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kinda wonder if running Super Heavy Duty isn't better for maybe the same usable good runtime and just keep changing cells.
Carbon zinc cells are even worse than alkaline. More likely to leak, worse voltage under load, and lower capacity. Honestly the only way to run maglites is with lithium ion or nimh. I even have an ml50lx as a vehicle light loaded with C-AA adapters and AA ultimate lithiums. So I know it will always work. But I get even better performance than nimh

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
pic

Attachments

• 010759B4-4F14-48CF-9E8C-B78C2C8F2CAA.jpeg
    010759B4-4F14-48CF-9E8C-B78C2C8F2CAA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbon zinc cells are even worse than alkaline. More likely to leak, worse voltage under load, and lower capacity. Honestly the only way to run maglites is with lithium ion or nimh. I even have an ml50lx as a vehicle light loaded with C-AA adapters and AA ultimate lithiums. So I know it will always work. But I get even better performance than nimh
I agree. I run my 6D on 6 x 1AA eneloops. I could double up and run 12 if I wanted. Runtimes are stable and good enough for my use. Got a 1000 (led) lumen XM-L2 drop in it. The AA's make it a lot lighter too.

In others Mags I run 2 x Li-ion such as 26650 or 18350 depending on the model or even a single 21700. Also run some LiFePo4 32700 cells in my MagCharger.

Reactions: xxo

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag really needs to come out with 4 and 6C ML50LX's.

A 8C ML50LX would be pretty awesome too.
Might as well tape a flashlight to the end of a lance. Lol. That's funny. I always kinda regret getting the 3c instead of the 2c. I have a thing for disliking boosted driver lights. And here you are wishing for bigger ones

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Months back, I bought an older 7C Maglite off of eBay.
Left it stock. Who wants to play soft-ball with me? :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I had two or three 3D mags and one 3C maglite. A number of incan solitaires. I really liked the feel of the 3C mag. I don't KNOW what happened to them. I may have given away the 3C when I gave away my Aerostar to my head secretary. My son probably has a 3D, or maybe it went to the crusher with his Bronco.

I still have a 3D, and an LED Solitaire. I have a @AA Pro +, but it is lost in a box somewhere, and I recently bought two ML25LT's with the rechargeable 18650 option. They are the C size format and are very well liked, not just by me but by other family members.