incandescent flashlights

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I was gonna start a whole new thread, but this one is great. I mean, this thread will serve my purposes, I can sort of pirate the thread, and yet, it's not so far off-topic. Happy New Year, also. This is my first post of the new year. It's all very exciting. Wish me luck.

As far as I can tell, there really is only a finite number of ways to illuminate. Let me cut to the chase, it starts with a stock Executive Elite E2e. That's what you start with, ideally, and then from there you never really stop using that light, though it may no longer be recognizable, nor even any of it's parts still in use (citation: Lincoln's Ax).

I wish it were a myth that Surefire has "discontinued" this model. I really think "discontinued," for one of the newer made-up words, is kind of awkward, but it is hardened for war. Its too bad, LED came, and Surefire finally dismantled everything needed to manufacture the E2e, and scrapped the whole E2e project, and the building where the E2e schematics and plans were burned down April of 2010. Seriously, I think if we as a collective consumer force went to Surefire and ordered 500K E2E-HA with the money, they'd tell us it couldn't be done. But if some slick US military outfit needs 200 of them, they hit a switch and pop out what they need, then mothball it all again. I just made that up, but I believe it to be true. Drives me up a wall that Surefire just one day STOPPED SELLING Elite heads. I think they were selling too well. They were making too much money, so they stopped.

I'm going to get right to the point. If you happen to find for sale, or see laying on someone's passenger seat with the window down, or see standing handsomely alone at some work site, or dig up, inherit, or marry into Surefire and then somehow acquire your first E2E... or the E1E accessory to the E2E.

So if you were already lucky somehow, and for the most part ignoring cell setups and batteries (which cannot be done), if you get really extra lucky, you may find a one of the best, if not the best, but certainly one of the rarest and hardest to find lamps, the MN03. It's a decent lamp. The white is a little angry, which is irrelevant, it does what it does, namely, shooting a beam of light straight out where you point it, and does it well. Since MN03 are so hard to find, we are blessed with Mark at Lumens Factory that actually makes and sells these lamps that fit right into E2E, and they are profoundly different from MN03. Focused LF lamps are nuts, idk what to say about them. There are times the spill is completely overcome by how tight and shockingly bright and how far the spot stretches. They should not call it a spot, they should call it a lightsaber. But I guess that would get confusing, and people could get injured. If you want a pocket spotlight, go for LF lamps. Also, it is told sometimes flashlighting can be less tense, more relaxed and easy going, and Tad Customs lamps spill and flood perfectly rationally like only they can, and find the hedged optimum between runtime and output.

As I post this, this morning, this year, my E2e looks like a ... fivemega 18350 with a Keeppower UH1835P running a A6010 lamp in a Tad Custom's socket. But it's only because of the time of the post. Hours from now, my E2e will look and illuminate differently. The body change for cell necessity, lens may change to convex, the lamp may switch to FM1794, or Tad's A7212, or HO-E2A, or EO-E2R.

The possibilities are not endless. But there is enough of them that the lighting can be just right. You really must discover all the different light levels yourself, but you really don't want the brightest incandescent light possible, you want an E2E. Mostly I find most of my required and most comfortable light is "3V" and that is a surprise. Because E2E is "6V"

bykfixer

Flashaholic
(Samuel Jackson voice)
Five Mega products:

When you absolutely, positively have to blind every ************ in the room....except no substitutes....

Now that the genuine E lights command $100+ the Lumens Factory bodies are a viable alternative. Gram for gram the E was possibly one of the best inventions man ever devised.
PK still uses one. Stock of course.

Tana modules can make them near sunshine bright or mimic the incan bulb. But if you are looking for pure horsepower from a light bulb, the FiveMega lineup is the way to go.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be awesome if I can use my 6p or 9p with best brightness and throw
If you can find one of these with WA1111 and pair of IMR16340 you will get what you want.
You can also use same module with pair of 18500 in bored out 9P
Another choice is WA1185 bulb powered by 3 IMR 16340 (18350 in bored out 9P)
In 2 cell (2x16340, 2x18350, 2x18500) version, possible to use P90 or P91 bulbs.

But if that's hard I don't mind using maglite 2D with li-ions
You can easily find Bi-pin socket 6V bulb, Aluminum reflector, glass high temp lens and powered by pair of 26500 Li-ion in 100-33-27mm tube.

When longest run time is required with high output,
2P/2S 2.5D will serve best.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night.hoodie, great post- thanks for the links. There most definitely something about the e2e that puts a smile on my face.

I can't go a week with just one light but lately I have been carrying one around more often.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, night.hoodie, you definitely waxed poetic. I do not necessarily use the very few E2E lights that I have on a daily basis, but I am most definitely keeping them. The technical advancement of the 16650 Li-ion cell (beyond the energy storage capacity of the 17670 cell) makes the use of Lumens Factory (3.7v) lamp assemblies even more practical in E2E bodies (Surefire or Lumens Factory).

apete2

Newly Enlightened
The 2D maglite makes a great host, you can use one of the following setups:

2x26650 IMR batteries + Pelican 3853 bulb set + Metal Reflector + Glass Lens, which can give you 3 options:
3853H: 600 lumens for 1 Hour
3853L: 290 lumens for 2.5 Hours
Mag 6 cell bulb: 130 lumens for 4 hours

I have 2 of these lights and use them all the time.

You can also use the Philips 5761 with Tad bi-pin holder but it looks like this bulb can poof on IMR cells

A cheap way to use a Mini Mag is 2x AA Nimh + Mag 2 Cell Xenon Bulb, you just have to drill the reflector out a little. I have the same bulb for over 2 years and the output is 3-4x a stock minimag.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll probably be old school for the rest of my life. Two Surefire CR123's and an MN03 does it for me for a carry light in my E2e. Never lets me down.

Got a red Microlight squeeze light on the key chain when things get super bad. That's been my M.O. since the late 90's, hasn't failed me yet.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
If you can find one of these with WA1111 and pair of IMR16340 you will get what you want.

I have seen you generously suggest such things before. What I don't understand, and with the greatest respect for you and your offerings, and with understanding you are only one man, only so much time, and speaking for everyone but supermod DM51 (who apparently has two handfuls of them), why don't you just make and sell more, like ten times as many as before??! What good can it do you now the extremely limited initial and only offering of Sunlight G4 P60 sockets has long ago sold out? Because I want one, or two. and I bet everyone with a 6P or compatible wants one or two. Exceptionally cool product! Please strongly consider starting a new interest thread and see just how many new customers there might be.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2

Also this one to use with FM1794

[/color]

I have seen you generously suggest such things before. What I don't understand, and with the greatest respect for you and your offerings, and with understanding you are only one man, only so much time, and speaking for everyone but supermod DM51 (who apparently has two handfuls of them), why don't you just make and sell more, like ten times as many as before??!What good can it do you now the extremely limited initial and only offering of Sunlight G4 P60 sockets has long ago sold out? Because I want one, or two. and I bet everyone with a 6P or compatible wants one or two. Exceptionally cool product! Please strongly consider starting a new interest thread and see just how many new customers there might be.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of reviving the Sunlight. While I have and enjoy both g4 and t2 versions, I do think that the 1794 bodies which are still available are just the best incand stuff ever produced in p60/p90 size. And while 1499 and 1794 bulbs seem to be scarce, the mag replacement bulbs do fit these lights, too!

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I'll just put this random comment here. What would be outrageously cool is a G4 in an Elite head. Here's how it would work: an intrepid CPF member with a drill and bits and a standard sized G4 lamp discovers the precise bit to use to drill an Elite reflector hole to allow a G4 lamp to fit through it. The information is shared, and this generous member offers to drill other members' Elite reflectors, and with secret special skill also clean the reflector as needed without damage, for ship and a little for the effort. Then fivemega announces a G4 socket for E Series that will fit a G4 lamp and focus properly if the Elite head was drilled with the previously discovered and properly sized drill bit. Though... I really hate the idea of modifying Elite heads, so perhaps Mark at LF makes offers some Elite replacement head-reflectors with a slightly larger reflector hole, so no bits or drilling or cleaning reflectors needed. I suppose all this complexity would be reduced if fivemega offered another miniturbo E threaded head and G4 socket bundle. Funny how I can come up with things to volunter fivemega to invent and sell. If I could do it, I would totally scoop him, the Sunlight E Miniturbo w/ G4 socket... by NightHoodie... I'd be famous. Though I suppose it is already possible with a E2C, z44 and a Sunlight, or E2C w/ LF MiniTurbo and the miniturbo fivemega G4 socket. It would be neater in an Elite bezel, because after you switch off the lamp, you might get a minute of moonlight level from the glowing red-hot Elite head.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go down the posts you'll see that 1794 and 1499 have almost the same dimensions.
That being said, FM1794's are still available ;)

BTW, FM has potted 1499 so if you wanna play with it and risk breakage of bulb you can try removing it from the PR seat.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila-GL4.jpg

Still works. I have a Pila GL3 with a LF D26 multi-mode LED drop-in (P60 style) that's nicely functional. I looked around to see if I could find a drop-in for the GL4, but doesn't look like there's any available. But at this point, probably doesn't make sense to fork out $50~$70 for a drop-in, when a whole light could be bought with even better capability. At least it has a somewhat usable LED tail cap. I also realized it's kind of novel to still have an incan flashlight around. A good reference point for CRI too! ;)

Last edited: