Inova 24-7 and Inova Mini Light

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inova 24/7

peacefuljeffrey said:
I've wondered about whether I should get a 24/7 for use in night skydives.
Does anyone here know if they are appropriate for that? Do they have provisions for being mounted securely somehow/somewhere to a skydive rig's harness?

I only have about 300 jumps and about 4 night jumps, so take that for what it's worth, but no...the clip will not stand up to terminal -- if you just put it on your chest strap, for instance, it'd just fly off. You'd have to duct tape it or use ranger bands or something. The clip is very loose (unless they've changed something since I got mine...)

Also, the switch is quite easy to rotate. I wouldn't want to accidentally activate the fast strobe on a night jump. Might **** off the pilot and other jumpers.

Stick with cyalumes...:)

JM-99

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened

@ jumpmaster:

Ugh! Cyalumes?! They're good for squat!

I picked up an Altimaster Galaxy (the luminous face) after my only night jump -- because Cyalumes were taped to it and were just about useless. [edit: I mean that the one I used on the night jump was the non-luminous one, and it was not readable with the mini-cyalumes taped to it.)

It seems that the dropzones usually will rent you (cheap) those orange-bodied strobe lights: those have a safety-pin kind of clip that does pretty well holding on at terminal. I've held off on ordering my own strobe because of just how rare it is to do night jumps anyway. (It's not like I'm military or something.) And I've always waited for the idea of something great for the purpose to come around and make itself known to me.

FWIW, I have 202 jumps (1 night). 197 of them (the last 197) have been completely barefoot! :grin2:

-Jeffrey

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

peacefuljeffrey said:
@ jumpmaster:

Ugh! Cyalumes?! They're good for squat!

Good to see another skydiver here, Jeffrey...if your cyalumes were dim, they were probably expired -- especially believable if kept at a DZ in a box in a really hot climate for a few years "in case anyone wants to do any night jumps"...in my experience, they are very sensitive to heat and how they are stored will affect how long they will last after snapped, how bright they are, etc.

We always bought ours the day of the jump and bought spares in case some were no-go's. I promise...working cyalumes are PLENTY bright to see your altimeter. I could easily see others' faces in freefall from the light emitted. We put one rubber-banded to our helmet and one or two rubber-banded to a riser in case of a cutaway.

I picked up an Altimaster Galaxy (the luminous face) after my only night jump...

That sounds neat...I haven't jumped in quite a while because the local DZ is...ummm...well...maybe I should tell you in a PM. :D

We never used strobes. I have a military type with the IR shield and blue filter for other purposes. Good idea to have one in case something goes wrong and you end up in a tree though. Or just bring along a cell phone and a GPSr...:D

I won't jump barefoot here. Too much bad stuff in the field (fireants, snakes, thorns, bullnettle, etc....but I guess it beats alligators! :) )

One DZ near Houston is adjacent to a Rottweiler farm though. :D

JM-99

Last edited:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I clip mine to the back of my ball cap during long walks.

chiphead...be seen or be dead.

Windscale

Enlightened

I carry it all the time, in additional to my Favourlight 3 Watt headlamp. The 24/7 is an excellent all purpose light. It is just as important to see and to be seen!

stockae92

Enlightened

24/7 is a great little light, i always throw it in the backpack when hiking, camping, etc

it comes into handy from time to time :)

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

Am i the only CPF member with the red body 24/7?​
setImgWidth();

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

BugOutGear_USA said:
They are actually bringing back the OD from last we heard. We also have a batch of law enforcement only versions coming in this week (Red/Blue LED's). If anyone is interested that is law enforcement PM or email me for more info.

Thanks,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

Flavio,

In NYC the official colors for emergency lights are red/white/amber. All NYPD cars use that combo. No blue. So the original 24/7 colors meet my needs.

John

Spudman

Enlightened

I've got a red, green, and yellow. :rock: I don't have the accessories though. I wish they sold them separately, or someone would sell me theirs. :whistle:

john2551 said:
Am i the only CPF member with the red body 24/7?​
setImgWidth();

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

john2551 said:
Am i the only CPF member with the red body 24/7?
Certainly don't think so...pretty sure CountyComm sold those for awhile. I've got "plenty" of OD & yellow ones...didn't need to buy a red one. Seems I saw another color as well...can't remember where or what color it was.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

The "other" color was titanium aka grey:

247-Titanium.jpg

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened

300 Jumps?.

Thats pretty sweet. I have 1 jump. LOL. AFF level 1. I just couldn't fathom the thought of being strapped to another guy. :laughing: And, I'm a pilot, so I think Id rather fly the airplane then jump out of it.

I've always wanted to go skydiving and I had a chance to do it pretty cheap. From my n00b opionion, I think everyone who hasnt tried it, should do it at least once. Theres no need to get high on drugs when you can get high at 13,500 feet. I noticed not so many things are as exciting anymore. Take paintball for instance, everyone is talking about the "adrenaline rush".. what adrenaline rush? I get shot a lot because it seems that I'm too impatient to wait for cover fire, and I know I'm not really going to die if someone shoots me with a paintball. Anyways.. I'm a master at getting threads of topic.. so heres a pic.

Jumpmaster said:
I only have about 300 jumps and about 4 night jumps, so take that for what it's worth, but no...the clip will not stand up to terminal -- if you just put it on your chest strap, for instance, it'd just fly off. You'd have to duct tape it or use ranger bands or something. The clip is very loose (unless they've changed something since I got mine...)

Also, the switch is quite easy to rotate. I wouldn't want to accidentally activate the fast strobe on a night jump. Might **** off the pilot and other jumpers.

Stick with cyalumes...:)

JM-99

landonjensen

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have any Inova Flashlights like The Inova 24-7 or The Mini Light?
The 24-7 is a very good light for any purpose, and has alot of good light colors and patterns. The mini light is very bright for such a small flashlight.

atm

Enlightened
I have a 24/7, and I agree it's an excellent multi-purpose light. The accessories make it even more useful, apart from anything else it makes for a surprisingly good headlight.

Andrew