INOVA Inforce line (was: Inova SHOT/IWA 2008 prototype)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called them not 5 min's ago and they said they don't expect ship ship for another couple of weeks.

eric1975

Newly Enlightened
all i know is i done preordering lights after i get the inova first the surefire and now the inova still has not shipped you think they were building a space station or something:mad:

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
Given the layout (one IR LED in the bezel) it's safe to say it will be pretty floody. From there it gets fuzzy because it sounds like they are using Rebels for the colors. I didn't see IR LED's on the datasheet though to even guess output. No matter what you aren't looking at throw out of that mounting. This might be worth worth contacting them direct - http://www.inova-mil.com/contact.html

That's pretty much what I was figuring. Not to derail the thread, but can anyone suggest a white light / IR light combo flashlight that throws? Doesn't need to be a monster, but 30-50 yards worth of illumination should be ok for the IR.

-Teuf

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might have better luck asking on a LE/military forum - not many people have practical experience with NVGs and an assortment of White Light/IR flashlights.

Another option might be to mount a dedicated IR light to your helmet, although it may produce neck strain over prolonged use.

-Trevor

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
That's pretty much what I was figuring. Not to derail the thread, but can anyone suggest a white light / IR light combo flashlight that throws? Doesn't need to be a monster, but 30-50 yards worth of illumination should be ok for the IR.

-Teuf

With NVGs do you really need a thrower? Wouldnt flooded IR light go pretty far with how NVGs see? I dont know of too many IR lights with reflectors.

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
Another option might be to mount a dedicated IR light to your helmet, although it may produce neck strain over prolonged use.

-Trevor

That might be the way to go--the NVG's and their battery pack are already on the brain bucket, so neck strain is already gonna happen ;).

With NVGs do you really need a thrower? Wouldnt flooded IR light go pretty far with how NVGs see? I dont know of too many IR lights with reflectors.

NVG's are more limited than people give them credit for. Ground based systems like the AN/PVS-7's and AN/PVS-14's come with an IR illuminator built in. We've got AN/AVS-6's (helicopter pilot NVG's) mounted to our helmets, which give us bifocal vision since there is a tube for each eye, but they don't have an integral IR illuminator. In the woods at night, or in a completely blacked out building, vision is still probably limited to 5-10 yards. You still have to use a source of IR just like a flashlight.

I guess a Surefire M1 it'll be then...

Thanks fellas, and sorry for the derail.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened

Not usually true, for nvg's focused is better for a some reasons.
More directed is better.

You don't want to distupt others around you also using nvg's.
With flood, you might accidentally shine on something closer to you overwhelming with light.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teuf - check your PM's

... and now back to our regularly scheduled waiting for Inova to actually release something

Xak

Enlightened
Sounds like this light will have a little bit of everything, but not enough of any one thing to be actually useful.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have almost no experience with separate IR illuminators, but I have years of experience arresting people while wearing NVG's.

For maximum brightness, you might be better off with a tactical incandescent like a Surefire G2 with an IR filter, with a jury rig to your helmet, hat or head--duct tape, sweatband, whatever. It's probably horribly inefficient, but it will probably throw out a stronger beam than any little 5mm LED and a flip of the lens cover gets you white light once the action is over. My IR light is a Maxabeam with IR filter--that throws to the next county--or nation if I aim it south. I am usually in areas that have enough ambient light that I don't need additional illumination. When I do, I use visible light, but my situation isn't unusually dangerous. If it were, I'd be shopping for IR gear, too.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like this light will have a little bit of everything, but not enough of any one thing to be actually useful.

The devil is in the details. On the IR side a good output LED could still be useful either as an addition to an active illuminator built in, or as a better option for the short range. For most of the colors a nice floody beam for up close stuff is probably the exact right design choice. We just don't know till they start shipping.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Eric1975 wrote:

all i know is i done preordering lights after i get the inova first the surefire and now the inova still has not shipped you think they were building a space station or something:mad:

:lolsign::lolsign::lolsign:

:thumbsup:
_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I recall Pre-ordering my Olight M20 Warrior from Battery Junction.... A week later, it was in my hands. :D

RadarGreg

Enlightened
One of the posts over at LightFighter.net said the Inforce lights were out at the base PX/BX in California. The poster said they had the white and color versions in the black body. I've not seem them here in the clothing sales stores in Germany, but we do tend to get stuff late.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I looked, they had the white at the Fort Bragg MCS.

The things are definitely out there - seems to be a bit of a delay hitting the civilian market.

-Trevor

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
If I had the budget for it, I'd get one of these as I'm sure it is a very well made, functional light. For now, I'm settled in with an X5 as my EDC and a T2 as my thrower for night use.

Xanteen

Newly Enlightened
The Inforce is out. I just got one yesterday. I have the white/red/blue/green version.I haven't really done more than blind myself. But, so far, the thing is pretty sweet.

The main LED is pretty tight, while the ring LEDs are very floody and compliment the main light as a great task light. PWM is only noticable on main LED at low setting. As with any four-color light, the UI is a little clunky but serviceable. The tail switch is very stiff- it ain't going to turn by accident.

At least preliminarily, this thing goes to the top of my list along with the U2 and the Gladius in the arena of full-size, money-is-no-object, Berry-compliant lights.

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
Is there any chance you could post some pictures and beam shots or if not in possession of a a digital camera get someone else to do it?

Doug:twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.