Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed that those Energizer AAA lithiums packs a lot more watt hours than a 10440 Li-Ion, have you looked into making a light engine for those batteries? The high would of course not be able to be as high as with the Li-Ion, but the runtime should be excellent. I also like that I can suck a primary cell real empty without worring about destroying it as I would do with an unprotected Li-Ion. I'm not sure how many AAA extenders you have sold so I'm not sure if there is enough interest for such a LE, or if there maybe is an easily available "off the shelf" driver that fits the Draco so I could special order? However, I'm only interested if it is turbo head compatible, anyone else interested?

Sigbjoern

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
DFiorentino said:
Ok, so I'm wanting to send my "plain" aluminum unit in for an upgrade (no plugin). Should I just go for the XR-E upgrade (which I love in my Ti unit) or wait for this rumored P4 possability... :thinking: ?

...and what to do with this Ti turbohead? :grin2:

-DF

:whistle: :poke: :thanks:

-DF

garuda

Newly Enlightened
Hi to all.

Long story short, I have only 1 keychain LED that cost $5 from a swap meet. I was looking for a flashlight in ebay last week for my next trip. One seller has a link to CPF. I didn't know about this place and you bunch of "flashlight fanatics" :huh2:. Bought a L1D CE after a couple of days of research. Then I stumbled to this thread....and holy carp!!!! BINGO!!

Ok, I am going to be in trouble from my wife cause I want it bad :sssh:.
Question is how in the hell am I going to convince my self to get the AlTiN with it being nearly 75% more expensive. For those who have inputs please tell me how the Chrome is holding up with nicks and scratches when used as an EDC? About unprotected 10280 batteries, are they as high a maintenance as I think they are. What do you guys/gals do as I have almost no knowledge of Li batteries other than my lap-top one which I just replaced after about 15 months of heavy usage. 2 batteries are ideal for charging and back up, but how to charge and use them to extend the life (ie. charge them every 2 weeks if seldom used or???). How do you know when it is time to charge as I hear that their lifespans are greatly reduced if they are used to below certain min voltage?

Any input would be great as I need to put an order together to Jonathan before the next batch is ready.

You're all bunch of nuts I swear :grin2: . I think I am becoming one too as I stayed up till 5 am reading all the posts :goodjob:

Cheers
Ferdinand

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want ultimate hold against any kind of wear, AlTiN is the way to go. I have a TiCN and it looks like the first day I got it. Regarding the li-ion battery, there does not need that much maintenance. Put it back on the charger every two weeks or whenever you remember and pop in the spare battery. Good thing about li-ion is you should recharge it back to full instead of trying to use it to the end. Welcome fellow Canadian!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Welcome garuda and I have to say that you did start out your stay here with a bang....many of us started out with the low price lights and worked our way up to the higher price stuff.....I have to hand it to you that you already seem to have very good taste for a so called beginner...hehe

welcome to CPF by the way

garuda

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. I really didn't know what I was getting my self into initially, but I think this is a very interesting hobby. I have always been amazed at the "expensive" led lights that are offered in the local malls. Looking back, I often wondered as to why people would spend $50 - 100 for a flashlight. Well, those lights are nothing in comparisson to the items I find here in CPF. I am starting to understand the reason why everyone here is so into it.

With regard to these Li unprotected cells and specifically with usage in the Draco, do you just eye ball the brightness before you decide to change batteries and recharge? I have read somewhere (but I cannot find it again) that you are not suppose to run down the battery to completely empty. So just like goldserve said, every couple of weeks pop in a new one...ok easy then...thanks goldserve! Just don't run it down all in one shot, right?

Anyway, I am truly excited about this little light. Thanks to everyone and to Jonathan for going ahead with his project. :goodjob:

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will definitely be able to tell when the cells run low. It'll be pretty dark.
For normal usage (like mine), recharge every two weeks are more than sufficient.
If you extensively use the light (eg. computer technician), then recharge will occur much more often.

DM51

Flashaholic
Change the battery immediately you notice it fading. Do NOT let it run right down. Don't worry - you definitely will notice it dropping off, especially if you have it on high.

But if in doubt, change it anyway. It doesn't hurt to charge it before it needs it – in fact short charge-discharge cycles are better for the battery. Li-ion has no "memory" effect like NiCads.

I recommend you get a DMM (multimeter) to check voltages. Use it to check your charger's output (should be 4.2v but no more than that) and also the batteries before and after charging.

If a Li-Ion cell has dropped below 2.5v it is probably unrecoverable, so don't try to use it any more. If it overheats or reads more than 4.2v, some unpleasant chemical reactions may be taking place inside it and there is a risk of it venting quite violently.

Rest the battery for a while after charging, before installing it. As long as you are reasonably careful with Li-Ions you will be OK. Accidents with them are rare, and almost always a result of human error/negligence.

And welcome to CPF! In getting a Draco, you've made a very fine start here!

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
Let me preface everything with I LOVE MY (original V 1.0) DRACO !!! :bow:

Here's a question I haven't seen asked regarding that vaersion. :thinking:

I know some of us have concerns with the short threads, particularly when it's in a pocket. I doesn't seem like it would take much for the head to come off.

Since the 4th "on" of this FluPic is really "off", could you leave the head screwed in on that 4th "on" without consuming the battery ?

Next question:
What versions are still available for purchase now, and at what prices ? (I think I need more DRACOS !!!) :grin2:

Last edited:

garuda

Newly Enlightened
Could some members tell me as to what brightness level is the prefered user level. I like to know if there are charts or graphs for some of the 1 - 10 variable levels. (edit: nevermind...found it :whistle: )

I'll probably stick with a level of my own, but just curious.

Thanks

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doc, you can set it to NOP but it will still draw a small amount of current (~0.5mA), so after a week your battery will be completely depleted.

Garuda, it's depends on the use and person that's why we have "user selectable". Me personally I use my last setting (v2 FluPIC) which is typically 4

DM51

Flashaholic
modamag said:
Doc, you can set it to NOP but it will still draw a small amount of current (~0.5mA), so after a week your battery will be completely depleted.
And don't forget this is an UNPROTECTED cell, so it will be ruined beyond recovery if it is completely discharged. If it reads below 2.5v you should not attempt to recharge it as it could blow.

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
DM51 said:
And don't forget this is an UNPROTECTED cell, so it will be ruined beyond recovery if it is completely discharged. If it reads below 2.5v you should not attempt to recharge it as it could blow.

:sweat: :aaa:
Thanks for the warning :whistle:

pinepig2

Newly Enlightened
modamag-

What sort of output/runtime can be expected with the constant current converter and a Cree/10280? Are the CC converters available with different ratings?

I'm assuming the CC converter is more robust as far as long-term reliability is concerned. That appeals to me more than trick features.

Last edited:

pinepig2

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any insight on this? I read lightrod's post on measurements of the different user-set levels. If a constant current converter could be installed that provides the equivelant of level 3 (12 lumens, 150 min runtime), that would work very well for me.

This would be for LEO duty use on a neck lanyard, hence the need for simplicity. Too often I'm doing searches or writing citations in areas with marginal lighting, and holding the Draco with my lips would free up both hands. I'm excited by this unit, and I'm ready to order!

UPDATE: Received PM for modamag that the 350mA converter is the only CC one available. The Flupic converter is not the best for my needs, so I guess I'm out of luck. :sigh:

Last edited:

X_Marine

Enlightened
I'm down for a Trilium for DIY install in tail.
And maybe some "Secret sauce #9" hold the bell peppers" please.. ')

Welcome garuda, this is a great bunch of mixed nuts. :rock:

ThanX
X.

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
Jonathan,

I saw a column for Tritium installation on your order spreadsheet, but can't find a price anywhere. I would love to have one. How much should I send you ?

OK, now a really stupid question. I was studying the V1 and V2 FluPic instruction diagrams and see that there are some new lines / pathways / arrows etc...., but I'm not really grasping an operating difference other than the return to burst after 3 seconds of the 4th "on". Am I missing something ?

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium price is $10.

pinepig2: Just for a LEO, I'll try to convince dat2zip for a special favor and custom your board to 60mA output which will give you ~ 3+ hrs of work light. So keep your fingers crossed.

Dr_Joe: In short v2 latch (remember) the previous setting. But for further detail take a look at Lightrod's explanation is much better than mine. You can see it -> here

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was astounded by the Dracos I saw at the Flashapalooza. I was interested before, but after handling it in person, I'm completely hooked. Jonathan, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you formally at the event, but I hope I'll see you again sometime to rectify that.

Would it be possible to see a photo of a standard head + standard body next to a turbo head on a AAA body?

If one were to purchase all of those options, it would basically be 1 emitter and 1 tailcap short of 2 complete lights, correct?

Nice to see the new lights will have milled tritium slots.

What in the world did I do with my money before CPF?