Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I've been eyeballing this light for quite a while. I have one question, Is there a runtime graph for the Regulated 350mA Draco?

Thanks

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Groundhog66 said:
You will not regret the purchase.

I second that comment. It will REALLY suprise you once you see it in person. It makes a tube of chapstick look big....and mine puts out ~160 lumens OUT THE FRONT on burst! I know it's no SkalamanderII, but it will more than hold it's own for it's size :grin2: Now go buy one of these damn things!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CC runtime was calculated to be ~25-30 minutes. There were couple special versions made to run at ~150mA which give you over an hour of runtime.

You will regret purchasing one because, it's like chips, you'll be back to grab another.

Ice

Enlightened
I'd like to ask (once again) a few questions concerning the Draco:
Does anybody know anything about the self discharge rate of those 10280 batteries? They seem to be rather new and kind of specially for the Draco, aren't they?
And could somebody tell me how many turns the head has to be rotated (measured from the off position) before it comes off?
Thanks a lot!

DM51

Flashaholic
Ice said:
I'd like to ask (once again) a few questions concerning the Draco:
Does anybody know anything about the self discharge rate of those 10280 batteries? They seem to be rather new and kind of specially for the Draco, aren't they?
And could somebody tell me how many turns the head has to be rotated (measured from the off position) before it comes off?
Thanks a lot!
1. Hardly any self-discharge. They will probably still retain 90%+ even after a year. They are no different to other Li-Ions, except for their small size and the fact that they are unprotected (too small to fit a protection circuit).

2. Just under 2 full turns.

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
modamag:

I've had my Draco for some time now... an incredible light! I understand you are tied up with Drake right now, but thought I would share an idea with you. I've been using the cut-off end of a "chem light" and the cap off some chap stick for a spares carrier since I received the light, which works fine (see photo).

100_3169.jpg

100_3171.jpg

Though this works, it is kind of silly to carry the spare for such a beautifully executed light in a hunk of plastic. How's about manufacturing an end cap for the battery tube to act as a spares carrier (a 'la HDS spares carrier)? I'd buy both a spare battery tube and the cap if offered!

Would anyone else be interested, or am I the only one thinking this? What do you think modamag?

Thanks! -S

DM51

Flashaholic
How's about manufacturing an end cap for the battery tube to act as a spares carrier (a 'la HDS spares carrier)? I'd buy both a spare battery tube and the cap if offered!

Would anyone else be interested, or am I the only one thinking this?
Excellent idea! I would like this too!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's elaborate on such idea. How about a ...
Tritium Locator battery tube?

It would be "significantly more" cost effective than the Draco battery tube.
The battery tube is "the single most" expensive component of the light.

And I'll try to keep it fashionable.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

bray

Newly Enlightened
its hard as heck to find anything small enough for an extra battery to be stored in. so basically i love the idea

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
I have also used the following to carry my light and a spare:

http://www.paracordsecrets.com/products/36/product.html

The AA version is great for carrying the Draco! I use it to protect mine from other stuff in my pockets by inserting the light lens first. Note that a little heat and a "squeeze" is required to mod this product to ensure it holds the light firmly. The AAA version carries the spare battery effectively, but it can be difficult to remove the battery... especially in the dark!

The kydex products work well, but my favorite way to carry is as shown in my previous post, as I prefer to carry my Draco and spare batt in my pants watch pocket. The kydex battery holsters add too much bulk to do so comfortably. Metal "spy capsules" also work as a spares carrier. Just ensure that you add some non-conductive material in at least one end!

modamag: Thanks for the response. My original thought was actually to suggest an end cap for each end of the AAA extension tube. That way I would have the tube, extra o-rings, and a spare battery on me. Doesn't hurt to dream, right!

Side note/question: When using the extension tube my light won't fire up on a 1.5v AAA, only on a 10440. This is normal, right?

Last edited:

Bullzaye

Newly Enlightened
A tritium locator battery tube...that's fashionable, no less? Sounds excellent! I'd likely be interested in one, depending on cost.
Tim

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look what my Draco got:

DracoWhiteTrit.jpg

Yes, that is a white tritium. IMO it is much better looking than the colored ones. I have promised so send some to Modamag so other people get the chance to get it on their Draco/Drake as well. How many of you would be interested in this?

Sigbjoern

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
WOAH! Cool! :drool: That looks awesome, Sigbjoern!

I for one would be IN LIKE FLYNN for a White Trit on my Drake!!! :thumbsup:

Nice work!

john

Oranac

Newly Enlightened
first time i've been in the cpf forums in a while and wow, its like the people here are in my head ....:eek:

a few questions about this beauty;

-is it still available in any form?
-is there any way possible to buy the milled components of the build?
(without driver/emitter/cells what have you)
-if yes to the above, how do i purchase one/them?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
-is it still available in any form?
Yes, --> Here

-is there any way possible to buy the milled components of the build?
Yes. Surplus and scrap is the most cost effective way. PM me your needs / plan.

Latest posts