Introducing The PHOTON BATON -- w/Zebras

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif However, it's not something I'd want in my car if I got pulled over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I've been doing the pewter/black zebra thing for a while too.. It's a nice departure from basic black.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some cops thought the X990 in my car was some sort of EMP weapon disguised as a flashlight.

I'm serious!

Got pulled over for a busted tailight, and when asked about it, I pointed out to the huge "HID" insignia on the light and showed them its operation. Unfortunately, these officers apparently thought McCulloch was nothing but the chainsaw makers and refused to believe me. They even tried to tell me to disassemble the freaking light instead of just pulling the battery pack out...

Case in point, if you had something like an X995 or ColdSteel or Charlie's Assault and Batteries, don't be surprised to see a frowning reaction from some LEOs when you're asked about it...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm, it's too bad the isolated anecdotes will be what people typically gospelize. Fact of the matter is the vast majority of the law-abiding population will have little if any contact with police, at least not on a "business" basis.

Those that choose to, whether through intended or recklessly inadvertent action, may get the short end of the Photon Baton "stick", I suppose. Although the freedoms in our country allow even the bad guys to go and do almost as they please as long as they don't get caught, it is the reason for the inconvenience and sometimes even downright unjustified harassment some of the good guys have to endure. Although it is wrong, some LEOs would rather err on the side of caution and check out fully any potential miscreants, illegal search and seizure included. The prevailing attitude among them is, "I know it'll get thrown out in court, but at least I got the (drugs, guns, Photon Baton -- insert offending item here) off the street". And if they are eventually proven right, that is one less baton/drug/gun that might've one day been used against you or someone you care about.

As for ethical cops, unfortunately every med school class has its just-barely-graduating "doctors", yet we still have to address them by that title...

To get back on topic -- so who wants one? (just kidding...)

arioch

Enlightened
Off topic and on too ...

MrBulk:

If I had not mentioned it on one my previous postings on this thread, that "Fluffy Assaulting Photon Bunny Baton" is one kick @ss looking light. I had been trying to get Elektrolumens to start production on a 3 or 4C Blaster II with a 1 or 5 watt LS. Your 6aa light looks a lot like something I would like to carry around on duty.

If you were to start making one of your FAPBB's for retail sale (to cpfers, of course), what kind of pricing would you be looking at? Machining looks like a lot of work.

BTW, concerning the rambling about the LEO's; I have had second hand and first hand experiences with "less than cordial" LEO's both during work and away from work, including the unpleasant experience of being run off the road and physically assaulted by an off duty MPD officer who was trying to pass me on a highway with oncoming traffic (he was unsuccessful and had to pull back into our lane, and turned his highlights on and tailgated me before running me off the road at a turnoff). I was a friend of his younger brother's, and apologized as soon as I recognized him. I should have been more cautious after smelling the alcohol on his breath, and his referring to me as a "f*ckin' J@panese". I never made a formal complaint with the MPD, due to this officer's previous stories to me and my friends about people he didn't like that he used to like to "pay special attention" to, and how he would get away with complaints made against him by manuevering within the lettering of the law. Being 19 at the time, I felt that the MPD would not believe me over the word of an MPD officer.

These days, I work with MPD on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, as part of a community security patrol. As I had mentioned, most of the MPD officers I encounter are professional, helpful, and well trained. They also include old classmates and friends of mine. The "bad" officers are few and far between here on Maui, as far as my experiences. But, as you say, MrBulk, it is those bad cases that tend to stick in the craw and make the news.

Once again, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif on me for going off topic (congrats again on yet another suberb looking creation).

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: Off topic and on too ...

arioch,

Sorry to hear of your experiences. I truly believe that type of officer is fading fast due to the more highly specialized and pointed training we give newer officers, as well as a more stringent selection process (actually stricter than the FBI's now). Plus ol' man attrition has his say anyway...

As for the Fluffy Bunny, naw, probably won't make'em. But then again I do have an idea for a near-do-it-yourself version of this...still need a machinist though, but much, much, much more simple execution. I need to talk to DSpeck.

Hay DSpeck, you listenin'?

BTW look for me to disappear for about a week starting Wednesday, family reunion in Vegas...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
The PHOTON BATON - Now w/Adjustable Output

Got around to testing out the PB tonight with "dummy" AA spacers, ran it first with one (7.5V), and then two (6V), and turns out it wasn't bad at all:

fc33c40d.jpg

And the "adjustable" output? Here's the light meter readings:

9V (all six live AA's) - 5,830 lux

7.5V (five AA's) - 4,320 lux

6V (four AA's) - 874 lux

At 6V it still beats the brightest LGI Classic out there, and with a focusing beam to boot. And at 7.5V, while shining it around in the densely treed canyon behind my backyard, to the naked eye you actually couldn't tell the difference. Still that same big bright solid hotspot produced by the HD and Mag reflector combination, still that long throw capability to the line of trees at a measured two hundred yards distant.

I think I may just run it at 7.5V -- you know, for max emitter life and all that. Plus it's cheaper running (wow, a whole 40¢!) with five AAs as opposed to six. And with that near-weightless plastic dummy AA positioned at the very end of the tip, it also felt a tad lighter (or was it my imagination?), just in case I need to *swing it around* for some reason...

Circuits? "We dawn nee' naw steenkin' circus!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: The PHOTON BATON - Now w/Adjustable Output

Circuits? "We dawn nee' naw steenkin' circus!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a'listenin', Charlie, whatcha got in mind? This does sound like something people have an interest in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened

Yep. I'm *very* interested in a DIY kit if a complete light won't be produced.

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened

I have extreme interest as well. The flexibility of a Do-It-Yourself kit can be very good. You supply the machined parts and we can slap our favorite or prefered 5W'er in there. Minimizes time and effort on your part, maximum cost effectiveness on our part. In addition to that, I always feel more connected to a light when I have had a hand in its creation even if it is limited to selecting an emitter and assembly.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any price quote yet?
I am interested, but will get one only if the price is right.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haven't got word yet, but it should be coming very shortly.

Doug.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Much less elegant, but how about using a 5 or 6 cell C M*g with a pipe adapter?

Who am I kidding? If I can't buy a light RTU (or needing no more than a bulb change) I don't buy. Besides I probably can't afford it anyhow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey PBJS,

Is the pic in your sig a porcupine or -- oh God, it can't be -- they are all LIGHTS???!!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Proto should be in my hands for description/photos/review and...PRE-ORDER SALES rather soon...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proto should be in my hands for description/photos/review and...PRE-ORDER SALES rather soon...

Woohoo!

arioch

Enlightened
Off topic ....

MrBulk:

So how was Vegas? One of those places I always intend to go to "when I have time". How are those inexpensive but fantastically generous buffet spreads my friends tell me about?

Oh well, I guess I'd just end up losing my shirt gambling.

Anyway, welcome back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Off topic ....

Yes Mr. Bulk, those are all lights. About half are pre CPF.

And roughly 8 lights are missing in that pic. A 4D Area light, 2D Rayovac Industrial, 3N Green LED modded Dorcy/Craftsman 2AA and a Pelican MityLite 2AA in the truck. An ACE hardware 3D light, Coleman 2AA on the kitchen counter. And a 2AA and 2AAA (where the heck is the 2AAA???) penlight on my desk. Three of those are post CPF.

I'm not sick. I keep telling myself I'm not sick!