Introducing the SPY 007 Sapphire

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to use a nichia 219b LED instead of the xpl or xml-2 m

Sure, it drops right in. However I tend to not offer it because it cannot handle all the power of a SPY with an STFu MK4 at 3300mA. If the light is set to the 3300mA turbo mode, it will fry the emitter. The other detail that I have found to be pertinent here is that even though there is a slightly higher CRI in the 4000K Nichia emitter, the Cree 4000K blows it away even in the red tone color you see when it is pumping 1000 lumens. It is not a comparison you make on paper. The pure power of the Cree in a SPY just kicks it.

An just FYI, nobody orders the XM-L2 in a SPY anymore. The XP-L-Hi domeless emitter is just too good.

Cheers
Dave

fxsniper

Newly Enlightened
I never knew these lights existed. I really **dislike** you, now I´m absolutely hooked and will have to get one one day. This light could easily be Morpheu´s in the Matrix. Better yet, I can see a scene in Indiana Jones, where he falls through a trap in the ground into some kind of dimly lighted cave, slides his hand into his satchel, and retrieves a worn down leather holster, out of which emerges a Spy 007 Saphire, stone washed, w Springfield knurls. He delicately, but firmly handles it and clicks it alive, shining a perfect beam unto a hidden path that will lead him to safety.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
An just FYI, nobody orders the XM-L2 in a SPY anymore. The XP-L-Hi domeless emitter is just too good.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

What are the specific benefits of the XP-L-H domeless? I have an xM-L2 SPY but want one with the fancy new battery cap so thinking of what emitter to get. Is the XP L H 4000K? I would like a warmer tint than my current SPY.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave

What are the specific benefits of the XP-L-H domeless? I have an xM-L2 SPY but want one with the fancy new battery cap so thinking of what emitter to get. Is the XP L H 4000K? I would like a warmer tint than my current SPY.

The XP-L HI pairs excellently with the McR-18 reflector, very nice clean hotspot with a wide clean spill, no nasty tint shifts in the beam either. The 5D tint bin 4000K XP-L HI in particular is a wonderful clean white and typically measures mid 80s for CRI too, while still hitting ~1000 lumens at 3A.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dome on an emitter transmits a different color depending on the angle from off center access. So If you look at an XM-L2 emitter straight on it will be a cooler and whiter color than if you look at it from on edge. There you tend to see a more greenish color. If you put one of the XM-L2 emitters in a reflector it will show that color shift as you white wall hunt with it. In normal use, it is not noticed very often.

The more dome-less emitters like the XP-L-Hi have this effect too but it is so slight as to not usually be seen, even if white wall hunting.

The XP-L-Hi emitter is by far the most requested emitter for my lights. But I offer any emitter you desire as long as it can handle the STFu power requirements.

The dome on an emitter will make the die look larger. Like you are looking at it under a magnifying glass, as in fact you are. That larger die image creates greats a larger hot spot. So it is true that the XP-L-Hi is a slightly better thrower in comparison too. This effect is slight but can be seen in side by side comparisons.

Finally, the XP-L-Hi is an amazingly powerful emitter and really handles high current well.

The XP-L-Hi is available in the following color temps: 6500K, 6000K, 5700K, 5000K, 4000K, 3000K, 2700K. The CRI of the lower color temps is higher. FYI, with Cree if a 4000K emitter is actually an 89 CRI it will be labled as an 80 CRI. So IMO it is important to visually compare the various emitters to see what emitter provides the look you desire.

Cheers
Dave

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Thetasigma and Dave

I love my XM-L2 for general use - certainly not white wall hunting but in actual use indoors and out. I admit I feel I would like it more at 4000k as I have a few lights with this colour temp and it likes nicer to me. If I get another SPY, I know what to ask for!