Introduction to modifying flashlights ...

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Introduction to modyfing flashlights ...

Great thread, Will! I've added it to the Threads of Interest sticky.

Mettee

Enlightened
Re: Introduction to modyfing flashlights ...

Awesome effort, must have taken a long time to complete!

It has more writing than your normal posts and something is not right about it, so more pictures please :grin2:

eva04

Newly Enlightened
I've been a lurker at this forum for some time now; trying to learn the theory/basics before i go ordering a bunch of parts i have no clue about... After reading this basic yet detailed post by Will, I just felt the urge to register and get into it. Many thanks to you Will! :thumbsup: Let the modding begin! :twothumbs

stinky

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to clog you thread with a "thank you," but THANK YOU! This is a fabulous writeup.

sometimes I wish this forum had one of those "thanks" buttons.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Incredible post....:sick2:...is that a "Shack" project board on the 18v Dewalt mod- I must try that as my first mod- looks like I might be able to pull that one off. Thanks!

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great write-up. I learned a lot reading it. I'm researching how to build my first home made light...

Was wondering what the circuit board on the heatsink picture was? Looks really nice... custom fit. What does it do? :)

http://m3coupe.com/machining8/DSCF8065.JPG

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great write-up. I learned a lot reading it. I'm researching how to build my first home made light...

Was wondering what the circuit board on the heatsink picture was? Looks really nice... custom fit. What does it do? :)

http://m3coupe.com/machining8/DSCF8065.JPG

You are welcome - glad this help :eek:

That picture shows the hipCC LED driver, available from www.taskled.com. It takes a higher voltage from the batteries and produces a constant current to the LED:
http://www.taskled.com/hipcc.html

Inkidu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the effort, I wish there were more threads about the basics all the

different configurations and products can be bit confusing at first. Especially

hard for me to tell what some of the short hand / abbreviations are. How about

some more info on the switches.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Inkidu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.

As I am reading more posts I am starting to put some things together. Are all

McClicky switches more or less created equal? I have seen some for $10 and

then some for over $20??? I would rather have one that doesn't click(audible)

Any options? How does a twisty work that is besides twisting to turn on,

can it switch to different brightness levels? Any personal favorites?

Thanks for any help. I always liked flashlights but I never would imagined there

would be a cool site like this.

Last edited:

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of those useful threads you keep permanently bookmarked.
Thank you for sharing this, Will.
A big :thumbsup:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Are all

McClicky switches more or less created equal? I have seen some for $10 and

then some for over $20??? I would rather have one that doesn't click(audible)
There are so many switches for sale, so I don't know where you are finding the various switches for sale, so I can't tell much. Do you have the links to the various places you have been shopping for these switches?

How does a twisty work that is besides twisting to turn on, can it switch to different brightness levels?
In a basic light, yes, the twisty (or simple ON/OFF switch) just completes the electrical path from the negative of the battery which turns the light ON. In a basic ON/OFF switch there is an electrical connection already made between the tailcap and the body of the light, so the switch just allows the negative side of the battery to pass to the tailcap, which then passes to the body of the light completing the electrical circuit.

The twisty is basically a design where the negative of the battery is electrically connected to the tailcap (or head), but the tailcap (or head) is electrically isolated from the main tube, so the light can't turn ON. When you turn-in (screw-in) the tailcap (or head), you close the electrical circuit and the light goes ON.

What makes these more complicated is that on some lights you have a small microprocessor (PIC/Tiny) which can detect the ON and OFF connection when you press and release (or twist IN and OUT), which allows the user to then select various levels/features. Of course it is all about timing - in these lights you tipically have to do the sequence of ON OFF ON within a short period of time so that the microprocessor can detect it. Most of the time if you simply do a single ON, then the microprocessor will pick the last user-selected value. Of course this all varies with each vendor since each one writes their own software user interface.

This is one of those useful threads you keep permanently bookmarked.
Thank you for sharing this, Will.
A big :thumbsup:
You are welcome :eek:

Aqui a sus ordenes ;)

Will

caseyj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the introduction to modifying lights. I have several old mag lights and some old minner type lights that I will be rebuilding.

Do you know of any books where I can lean more about LED's, drivers, etc. and how to put it all together?

Thanks

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks for the introduction to modifying lights. I have several old mag lights and some old minner type lights that I will be rebuilding.

Do you know of any books where I can lean more about LED's, drivers, etc. and how to put it all together?

Thanks

You are welcome - I am glad this was of value :eek:

There are no "specific" books on the type of mods we do in this forum since the mods are so varied and go from really simple, to super complicated. In my signature (bottom of every post I make) there is a link to my projects - hopefully those would be of value as well.

The best way (I feel) to learn this hobby is to do two things:
- to stick in this Homemade and Modified sub-forum and read/review other people's mods. That should give you ideas as to what to do. There are some fantastic modders here in the forums :thumbsup:
- to try something. It might not work like you want/expect, but you will learn a lot by "doing" your own mods.

Good luck ;)

andy7046

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the info. I'm new to this and posts like these really help speed along my learning path.

dosmun

Newly Enlightened
Great articles. I am doing a short essay for school on flashlight upgrades and these articles are a great help.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Awesome. If you have follow up questions, make sure you ask them here in this sub-forum - there are a lot of good modders and a lot of good knowledge here :D

Will