Introduction to modifying flashlights ...

G20-Budo

Newly Enlightened
I'm a relative noob here on the forum, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for creating this thread. Yes it's a few years old, but it has answered a number of questions I had about batteries, which LED's are which and how this drop in stuff works.

I've got a Maglite 2D that I can see getting modded in the near future. :)

Good stuff!!

badazzelanore

Newly Enlightened
Super informative for us noobs. I love your magneto prototype. 2 years to complete but wow what a family hierloom! That light looks like it will last forever. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and having the patience to answer every question asked with such detail.

One last thing, I am new to this forum but not to forums in general and I have to say you are very humble to give thanks to everyone who praises your work.

wquiles

Flashaholic
You are welcome guys :eek:

The Magneto Drive has been used a LOT in the last couple of years, including work around the house, 5 or 6 Scout camping weekends, etc.. Here is how it looks like today, after being dropped, and put to good use - still working as good as 2+ years ago:
IMG_20141011_145848.jpg

You can see here how the outer ring has been bent from 1 or two drops - still fully functional (the red marks were for aligning the "pill" with the magnets in the body):
IMG_20141011_145915.jpg

Still pretty bright at max level, but also with a low which is low enough to be useful while camping at night to preserve night vision:
IMG_20141011_145939.jpg

IMG_20141011_150004.jpg

Recently I finished a custom DeWalt work light for a customer in Texas that needed a bright light to work in attics doing AC repair work (my original prototype on the left - the new and refined for my customer in the right):
DSCF1945.JPG

I am now working on creating a custom LED pill for a FiveMega 26650 Cooly host, but finding time for projects is not easy now-a-days.

Will

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read through the first pages of this as well. Always feel that the main point of this particular part of the for is for sharing knowledge.
WQ has done that in spades.

I know it is difficult to make time for in-depth projects, but you'll have to keep us in the loop on that FM 26650 job

Majigger

Newly Enlightened
This is actually exactly what I signed up for CPF for. Wow, just perfect. Thank you so much.

Krane

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please review this thread and update it with the most current information, for example do you still recommend TaskLED as the source of the drivers?
Are there any innovations?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
In USA I think the driver of choice is now Mountain Electronics.
I'll let some of the experts chime in.

Latest posts