iPhone 5 anyone?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the preorder email from Rogers today, and I folded like a cheap deck of cards. I ordered up the 32gb black. ;)

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just heard in the news that the ship date will be pushed back several weeks

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
This is now standard. As the 1st (and then 2nd, etc) batches sell out, the ship date of future orders (apples eta on the sales page) moves back. It's a sign that whatever quantity apple built (pre launch) was not enough to cover initial demand. It's reportable significance comes from the size of the first batch (usually many million).

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nevermind the new hardware, ios6 has automatic scheduled do not disturb periods!

Yep. Got my 4S updated and programmed to keep quiet :)

I love that my older hardware is fully supported by the latest OS and I don't have to wait nearly a year for it while it's molested by my carrier... <cough>

nbp

Flashaholic
As of now I'm very happy with my 4, upgraded to iOS6. I don't know if I can justify getting the 5 just to have it. Doesn't seem different enough yet. If/when my 4 goes to pot I'll get whatever the latest iteration is.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of now I'm very happy with my 4, upgraded to iOS6. I don't know if I can justify getting the 5 just to have it. Doesn't seem different enough yet. If/when my 4 goes to pot I'll get whatever the latest iteration is.
Still happy with my 4 as well and actually still impressed with what it can do. The 5 looks nice,love all that power and speed but will still hold on to the 4 that is unless a jailbreak for the 5 comes out.

On a side note, those of you getting the 5 and still have your old iPhone can request for an official and permanent unlock for it here from att:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 4, wife has the 4s. Mine seems slow so i ordered one on the second day. My first delivery date was mid October. Woke up to a text saying it was shipped today. It will be at home when we're back from holidays.

nbp

Flashaholic
I have the 4, wife has the 4s. Mine seems slow so i ordered one on the second day. My first delivery date was mid October. Woke up to a text saying it was shipped today. It will be at home when we're back from holidays.

Every few days and especially after updating apps I double click the home button, close down all open apps, and shutdown/restart my phone. Maybe I'm just anal and maybe it's a placebo effect, but it seems to keep my phone running pretty quick and smoothly. I figure fewer processes running in the background is always good, and a reboot every couple days is beneficial. :shrug:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The multitasking pane at the bottom is mostly a list of recently used apps. Only the first 3 or 4 will actually be running. Killing them all off is a placebo, killing the first few definitely helps.

Rebooting it is redundant, as you've already killed the extra processes.

You could do one or the other and have the same effect.

bansuri

Enlightened
Wife and I will get one soon, but we're thinking about switching to Verizon, AT&T constant plan and features changing is turning us off. We've had them since their introduction and its been amazing to watch the hardware and software mature.
I remember a video of Steve Ballmer ridiculing the iPhone and thinking "how can he not see the huge possibilities in this product?!"
Yeah, Apple wants to make money, but so does MS and every other company that has employees to pay and shareholders to keep happy.
Hate to see the 30-pin go as it is very moddable, but it's had a good run.
I still miss stylus input as I used a Palm for years and really enjoy that input method. Saw a Samsung with a nice stylus and thought about it for a minute or two. Ease of synchronizing data across devices, and about a hundred other reasons will keep me with iPhone for a while.
Plenty of useless apps, but the good ones are fantastic. With such a large market the offerings will only get better.
To quote Steve Ballmer, " developers, developers, developers, developers!"

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bansuri,
I'm finding over time I am wanting more and more to switch to Verizon because of coverage and customer service as well. The single only thing keeping me with the iPhone on AT&T is my "unlimited" data.

When the inevitable iPhone 5S comes out I will probably be due for an upgrade, so I will most likely go for it then. I've had each numerical generation but never the S series.