Is Fenix LOD CE still the best AAA light?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss said:
My Draco already comes pretty close to your expectations. On burst, it's throwing out 160 lumens out the front...not quite 200, but damn close :)
I'd be interested in seeing a Draco and L0D-CE on 10440 in a side-by-side photo. I wonder how noticeable the difference is between the two (I'd estimate the L0DCE is about 110-120 lumens initially, based on comparison to other lights)

Also, the 200 was a conservative esimate. If* the light puts out 480lm on 2A, there's a good chance it would put out at least 280 on 1.1A (slightly more than half, it will be more efficient underdriven). With 15% optical losses (reasonable w/ good optical coating and reflector) that's up to 240 out the front.

* this is a very, very big "if".

BobbyRS

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
I'd be interested in seeing a Draco and L0D-CE on 10440 in a side-by-side photo. I wonder how noticeable the difference is between the two (I'd estimate the L0DCE is about 110-120 lumens initially, based on comparison to other lights)

Good timing. I just came across this tonight:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1974486&postcount=14

I too am debating with myself between the two. It seems the L0D-CE is the only AAA light that seems to come close to the Draco in terms of performance on a 10440 cell. If anyone has anymore comparable information to post, it would help greatly.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
@BobbyRS.. A quick use of the search function in the Reviews section, looky here..:)

I have one and am using the 10440 battery, it's amazingly bright for such a small package!

BobbyRS

Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
@BobbyRS.. A quick use of the search function in the Reviews section, looky here..:)

Thanks, but at no point anywhere in that thread do I see the LOD-CE compared to a Draco.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
BobbyRS said:
Thanks, but at no point anywhere in that thread do I see the LOD-CE compared to a Draco.
Well, wasn't really for a Draco comparo, just mainly to see the performance of the L0D-CE.. :)

BobbyRS

Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
Well, wasn't really for a Draco comparo, just mainly to see the performance of the L0D-CE.. :)

Yeah, I am looking for compariable information/beamshots between the L0D-CE and the Draco.

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Based on my personal observations, I can only speculate on the quanitative performace difference between the Draco and the L0D-CE. The Draco has a bit more output on burst mode. I will also speculate that the Fenix has more throw, but I have no means to measure either other than "eye-balling" it.

Rob

todo

Newly Enlightened
Strauss said:
It does stomp it....and at only HALF the size of the LOD-CE. I feel the chrome version is priced very well. Yes it is 3x the price of the Fenix, but it beats it in output, is half the size, and built much better. It is one of my top three favorite lights that I own....and that says a lot for the little Draco because I have quite a collection :)

If you are on a budget, buy the LOD-CE. If you are willing to spend the extra $$ for a better built, smaller, and brighter light; buy the Draco chrome.

Half the size? The L0D is 2 7/8" and 1/2" thick. Dont try to tell me the Draco is 1 1/2 X 1/4 inch. By the way thinness is where its at for pocketability. Oh and with 10440's in the L0D, the draco is little if any brighter. Not to mention the rediculas price.

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
todo said:
Half the size? The L0D is 2 7/8" and 1/2" thick. Dont try to tell me the Draco is 1 1/2 X 1/4 inch. By the way thinness is where its at for pocketability. Oh and with 10440's in the L0D, the draco is little if any brighter. Not to mention the rediculas price.

I wouldn't say it's rediculous for what you are getting. It's a custom light that is made in small batches. Not mass produced. The driver is much much more flexible than that of the LOD CE. Dont get me wrong, the LOD CE is still a good value. But come on, even 4sevens who sells the LOD's got one. That has to say something.

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
I got my LOD CE in today, and all I can say is WOW! This is exactly what I was looking for. The levels are great. I know mine will get the most use on primary, but the low and high are very valuable also. Great floody, and useful beam. Just like many others on CPF have said, "GET THIS LIGHT"!

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, price aside, i like the l0d ce better than the draco because long and thin is MUCH more convinient for EDC and use than short and stubby...

While the old l0p was a dissapointment for me (just a bit to dim, no low mode to conserve battery, short run time). The l0d just blew away every single drawback...

MarkKLC

Newly Enlightened
I just got my L0D-CE a few days ago, and I still can't stop playing with it! A couple times every night, I just have to go and turn it on to see how bright it is...

It's sort of too bright if you need just a little light, but I also keep a photon clone in my pocket, so it's all good! The finish is so smooth I'm sort of hesitant about ruining it by attaching it to my keys.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
MarkKLC said:
I just got my L0D-CE a few days ago, and I still can't stop playing with it! A couple times every night, I just have to go and turn it on to see how bright it is...

It's sort of too bright if you need just a little light, but I also keep a photon clone in my pocket, so it's all good! The finish is so smooth I'm sort of hesitant about ruining it by attaching it to my keys.
Yeah, my finish has lived on my keys for a while, and has started to wear down along the "ring" where the light stands up from. IMHO it would have been better for Fenix to release this light in a natural finish, that way even if the andoizing were to chip/get damaged, it would be nearly impossible to tell by looking at it (unlike black -- where the bright metal stands out if the finish is damaged).

Also, if you are using it on regualr cells and impressed with the brightness, don't try 10440s -- it will spoil you and you will won't want to go back to the old cells. I was one time talking to a neighbor down the street. he was trying to read a paper under dim high pressure sodium light (70W street lamp toward the end of its useful life). I turned the L0D-CE on low and lit up the page with just the spill from it -- he was pretty impressed with it, then I pointed it to my own house quite a distance away, and turn the light onto high, lit up my entire house and completely blew the guy away.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I have an LOD CE, now waiting for 10440s to arrive from AW. Maybe pick some extras from DX later if I am super impressed (since I won't mind the massive wait at that point).

I use a nylon sheath I made from some tubular webbing, so the light stays relatively scratch free (except at the key-ring hole) on my keychain. I will lose it or forget it if I don't have it on my keys, but like many, I don't like the way it gets beaten up by the keys!

EDIT: Got the 10440s from AW. OMG! :grin2: :drool: This thing is AMAZING!

Last edited:

KevlarSix

Newly Enlightened
Anyone here knows where to look for this accessory which can be used for the LOD CE?

dop013bk_10.jpg

dop013bk_11.jpg

Here's a link for it but I can't understand Japanese.
http://www.lightch.com/elpa/a/dop013bk.html

C.Griff

Newly Enlightened
It is sold at many web stores in Japan. But as far as I searched, any stores seems not to ship abroad, including yahoo auc.:shrug:

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
I have both, the Draco and the Fenix are about the same output on fresh cells but the Draco IS almost half the size. It's not short and stubby it's much shorter and slightly thinner. It also comes in Ti so will not get worn on a keychain and has a trit for easy locating. It has, in my opinon, a better UI and you can choose the type of UI. It is much more expensive but it's very well made and a thing of beauty. It's my usual keychain EDC. However in a pinch it cant run on alkaline AAAs so when I travel I carry a LOti modded with LOD Ce innards and a 10440 if I can't recharge I can get cells anywhere.

todo

Newly Enlightened
Vinnyp said:
I have both, the Draco and the Fenix are about the same output on fresh cells but the Draco IS almost half the size. It's not short and stubby it's much shorter and slightly thinner. It also comes in Ti so will not get worn on a keychain and has a trit for easy locating. It has, in my opinon, a better UI and you can choose the type of UI. It is much more expensive but it's very well made and a thing of beauty. It's my usual keychain EDC. However in a pinch it cant run on alkaline AAAs so when I travel I carry a LOti modded with LOD Ce innards and a 10440 if I can't recharge I can get cells anywhere.

I was under impression the draco was thicker than L0Dce. Can you tell me how thick the draco is? ...the L0D is 1/2 inch thick and 2 7/8 inch long. Thanks