Is Olight a good brand?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
beautiful graph, thanks. which cells did you use in the SA2?

They were run with freshly charged rechargeable Eneloops, so that each run had the same baseline and fixed amount of energy to make the comparisons equal.

Just for fun, here is the efficiency (which one puts out the most light over time for a fixed amount of energy input) as calculated by the area under the curve:

iTP SA2 medium mode: 2750 X 699 minutes = 1922250
Olight T25 medium mode: 5980 X 263 minutes = 1572740
Olight T25 high: 10900 X 110 minutes = 1199000
iTP SA2 high: 12100 X 92 minutes = 1113200

Conclusion:
Note that the highest efficiency was the light running on the lower mode. It is to be expected that the brighter a flashlight is the less time the battery will last. However, the relationship isn't exactly linear as the run time at the lower outputs is more than the drop in output. For example if the output on medium was exactly half that which it was on high then the run time isn't just twice what it was on high. It's actually more. This is to be expected since the specification on LED's shows the relationship of output not exactly linear. And the circuit driver efficiency losses are also slightly magnified at higher output. So for me it's not always about having the brightest flashlight but the most efficient one.

I like the SA2 over the T25 except for the reflector. The SA2 has a smooth reflector and so has a slightly longer throw while the T25 has a slight orange peel (OP) to the reflector which smooths out the beam and provides a better transition from spot to flood. Some like to have the maximum throw. For me I prefer a little more flood. But the SA2 is fun with that button to switch modes rather than to twist the head. That is the coolest aspect of the SA2.

d7e7r7

Newly Enlightened
Any have an M20s and a Fenix TK15 or PD32?
I want to buy a new flashlight but a few people on this forum have said that their M20s suffers quite bad PWM, any owners recognized this?

edpmis02

Enlightened
I have an M20s R5.. and pwm is bad on low mode. I heard it is 100hz. Looks like my minimag on low mode. It was $49 during a black Friday sale.. so not going to complain, but not would have been unhappy at full price. I would have gone with a tk15 due to more levels and no Pwm.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the S65 yesterday. I am hoping they are a good reliable brand.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
They did not center my emitter in the S65... It's pretty off.
I am really disappointed in Olight.

The quality seems severely lacking. I can see it being dropped and having the battery carrier snap. The tube is extremely thin and feels gritty.
Doesn't seem worth the price. I should have gotten a TK41.

My JetBeam PA40 is much better.

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
SR-51 owner here. Pretty impressed with it. Comes with a real nice case and quality materials throughout. Battery holders seem good as well. I dont use it much or abuse it at all but its worked fine and reliably and puts out a nice beam. I own many Surefire's, Malkoff's and HDS and 2 Quarks. This is above the Quarks in quality but below the others, obviously. It is however a good quality light.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I have an M20 R2, M20 Special Edition titanium SST50 , and an M20S S2 - I like the M20s!

In terms of pure build quality, the M20 SST50's threads are pretty gritty, but I think that is more down to the difficulty in machining the titanium, and the nature of the material itself, rather than any great failure in quality control. If I use the M20's aluminium tailcap and head on the titanium body tube, it feels fine. Titanium head or tail on the titanium body, and it feels rough.

Electronically speaking, the SST50 is barely turning over in the M20 SE - the driver is only putting out a little more current than in the XR-E R2 or XP-G S2 model. Not a quality control issue, just a bit of a shame not to better utilise the capabilities of the LED used.

With regards to PWM, I can't say that I notice it. If I go looking for it, I can certainly find it - for instance, waving the light in front of a white wall in wide arks, I'll see a string of circles of light on the wall. In normal day to day use though, I can't say that I notice the light flickering. Perhaps I'm just not as susceptible as some people (if nothing else, I'm old and short sighted, so perhaps my eyes aren't good enough).

If we took the M20 SE out of the equation - the titanium threads and under driven SST50 obviously being issues specific to that particular light - I am plenty happy with the build, function and performance of the M20s.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
It all depends what you mean by "good". If you mean does the flashlight turn on every time and is it bright I think olight and fenix are excellent companies.

Personally, I hate green tinted flashlights so much I dismiss BOTH fenix and olight. The prevalence of green tints in their xml lines is well documented. Some argue this is unavoidable in xml but I disagree because I have some xml lights that are never green on any output level. Others hate pwm but I don't see the blinks so it doesn't bother me. Its all a matter of personal preference.

I don't believe a consumer should have to play the "tint lottery" on any flashlight that costs over $100

I prefer eagletac. Every one I have produces white light (of course it is entirely anecdotal since I only own a few of them). I do hear their customer service MAY leave something to be desired but I cannot comment since I've never needed customer service on eagletac, olight, or fenix. I just stopped buying fenix and olight due to green tints.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Olight M31 Triton on its way to me from the Marketplace.

I will admit right off the bat to not having a high opinion of the foreign made LED lights, just didn't have enough exposure to them to know which ones where the good ones I suppose. At a get-together awhile back, a friend of mine brought along his M30 Triton. This same guy is employed in the security field, he does martial arts, and always has awesome hard-use gear. I was surprised to see it with his other stuff until I picked it up and turned it on. My casual inspection turned into constant fiddling because I just couldn't put it down. The build quality and substantial weight and feel were immediately apparent. Very bright, very tough. The side switch on the tailcap for strobe and mode-switching is genius. The clip was very robust, no rattles, no cheap feel. I didn't want to put it down. I knew at that point I would have one.

applevalleyjoe

Newly Enlightened
Mohave Desert (Apple Valley), California, USA
I was thinking of buying an OLIGHT SR 51. Looked pretty good on paper. Unfortunately, read the reviews on Amazon and now I am rather reluctant to pull the pin on one. Granted, cognizant of the fact that owner reviews are often just opinions...some good, some bad...I am nonetheless concerned. Any input???

Edi

Newly Enlightened
I have 4 fenix lights and one light, the tk15 gave me some issues with not always turning on so I gave it away. The ld10 completely died on me and I just got it sent back after a warranty head replacement. I don't like how when the battery is low they sometimes won't turn on? Even in low... Leave it for a while then it does? Any body else? I have one olight sr51... I think it's one of the best lights I have and can't flaw it!

So IMHO olight is better!

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow havnt been here in ages and this ol thread pops up, i did reply but can update. I now own a M20s G2 and it is my fav light, it has a nice white tint and amazing throw for its size. and feels really well made, i will buy more m20's ( waiting for xm-l2 ) and am looking at one of there sr lights now. also worth mentioning that they have a nice in hand feel due to the notibly different knurling they use on there lights.

jcw122

Enlightened
This thread is over a year old...

But I'd say good, but not great. :)

kmorar556

Newly Enlightened
It goes without saying the Surefire lights are more reliable and have the best warranty (but you pay for it). Nitecore is certainly at the bottom of that list. I've had issues with every Nitecore I've owned. There have been quite a lot of problems with their piston lights and many on here are having issues with the new "tiny monster". Olight and Fenix are somewhere in the middle.

GRR!! I just bought the P25 hopefully I dont have any problems with mine...:thinking:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I've had my i1 EOS for just over a year. So far, it's been 100% reliable. The fit and finish is very good. I've experimented using an IMR 16340 in it. WOW, what a little rocket! I did email Olight ahead of time; they assured me a 16340 was fine to use, but that it may get hot...

holylight

Enlightened
I have the M20S when i got it i compared it to my Fenix TK10 and found it to be much more versatile than the Fenix in terms of modes and battery options but not so tank-like built like the TK.Conclusion is that i would and probably will buy another Olight or more and i think its a great brand :wave:

They seem like a good value, but I have not tried any yet.

see the flashlight review. and hope u find yours soon :D

Latest posts