Is the Muyshondt Nautilus Worth the Price

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill (Lafferty) and I had a brief PM discussion about this light some time ago when I asked Bill why he was selling his. I have a Nautilus (Ti) and I have kept mine. I think it is well built and, (at least mine) seems to have the same quality knurling as both of my Cr2 Ions. I will agree that it does require a bit more turning to get to high from low than it does from off to low but, not that much in my opinion---again, these are opinions. If instant response from low to high is what you are after, this is not the light for you. My Nautilus has a very smooth turning movement vs. what Bill experienced with his. I would guess normal variation in the lights during production--even custom or limited production lights as these. I have intention of keeping mine and I think it is one heckuva light!

Hmmmm, is it worth the premium price? :thinking: Well, others have addressed this part and I guess they have clearly indicated that answer depends on the owner/user. Not your intent certainly but, a "loaded" question so to speak. Many (most?) folks in the real world would balk at the prospect of spending hundreds of dollars on flashlights. I guess I (as well as many, many others here on the forums) think this type of expenditure is perfectly normal! Personally, I think spending $25 grand on a car is nuts but, to each his/her own. This being said, I think that the design of this light is simple, about as fool-proof as a design can be and will last way beyond my lifetime. I think it was worth it--I bought and kept mine. Others bought and subsequently sold theirs. Whatever. Give one a try and see for yourself, you'll get a real seat of the pants experience!

Karl

Last edited:

GBone

Newly Enlightened
I have had my Nautilus for about three weeks now, the only thing I can say is IMHO this is an amazing light at a fair price which equals good value! :thumbsup:

Size vs. output vs. run time blows everything on the market away, including the new HDS Twisty that hasn't hit the market yet. Just over 100 lumens for almost three hours or what looks to be about 15 lumens for 85 hours, to me that's solid! The light wasn't designed to push the Q5 to the limits of brightness, it was designed to deliver outstanding "all around" performance. So it's not the brightest nor the longest running, but it falls somewhere comfortably in between the two. Also the Nautilus is a real thrower, I have never seen a light this small throw so well, a true testament to Enrique's engineering.

It's built like a tank and I don't find the twist action to be a problem, not to firm and not to far of a twist to get to high mode. To me a pocket light shouldn't turn on to easy nor should the knurling be to aggressive. It wan't built to be "tactical", rather a true EDC...

Had a power outage at work last week, took the Nautilus with a less than a fresh battery into our cashiers office (no windows), turned it on high and ceiling bounced enough light to operate without any issues. Oh, did I mention that Nautilus ran at high for almost three hours on a NOT NEW battery and never got much more than warm to the touch, true story...

There are many other lights out there that do many things different and better than the Nautilus, but to me this light represents a very strong candidate as the best EDC torch on the market today. I guess it all depends on what YOU are looking for out of a light.

Hope this helps!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well based on everyones comments I bought one today. I should have phrased my question "Does everyone with the MYSHONDT NAUTILUS Feel it is a good value for the money. Not is it worth the price, I see Nascars point of view, only I can decide how much is too much to spend. Maybe it's just symatics.

Thanks everyone, I'll post my impressions once I have a chance to play with the light!

Bill

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
If you take a razor blade and trim down the outer diameter of the black foam ring a little the stiffness will disappear. It is the process of compressing the foam ring that makes the turning "stiff". Removing a little of the size of the foam ring will ease this up considerably.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I do not own a Nautilus. I do own a red CR2 Ion and the Nautilus uses the same two stage regulated circuit and operating mode. I will buy one, later, due to my good feelings about the CR2 Ion.

Bill

da.gee

Enlightened
I will be interested in your thoughts as you use it over the next few weeks. I find it to be quite satisfying and so easy to have on your person that it quickly "pays" for itself. I have zero problem paying dollars for a tool I use everyday. My theory is the more I use it the less it costs me.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be interested in your thoughts as you use it over the next few weeks. I find it to be quite satisfying and so easy to have on your person that it quickly "pays" for itself. I have zero problem paying dollars for a tool I use everyday. My theory is the more I use it the less it costs me.

I agree. I don't mind paying the dollars if the light is worth it. The reason for the title of the thread. If this light holds up in the long haul I'll be happy. I did a review in the flashlight review section you may want to check out.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry that you haven't realized that there is no place for NEED in this arena!! Get two!!! HA!

Karl

da.gee

Enlightened
Read the review too thanks. Mine helped install some cabling for a high def TV yesterday. Father-in-law was most impressed with the little bugger. My P2D may toast it on actual brightness but the Nautilus is form and function personified. It's the BMW of 1x123s in my book. The P2D would be a Subaru STI. Fast (bright) but lacking some elegance.

P.S. When using a mirror to run cable behind a flat panel DO NOT look directly at the reflected light!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the review too thanks. Mine helped install some cabling for a high def TV yesterday. Father-in-law was most impressed with the little bugger. My P2D may toast it on actual brightness but the Nautilus is form and function personified. It's the BMW of 1x123s in my book. The P2D would be a Subaru STI. Fast (bright) but lacking some elegance.

P.S. When using a mirror to run cable behind a flat panel DO NOT look directly at the reflected light!

Love the Subaru Analogy, it's right on. Just ask my 2006 Outback. LOL
I'm liking mine more and more. I'm surprised it doesn't need a new battery yet!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop!!!! I don't NEED to buy yet another light! :)

I've been considering this light for some time. Very, very tempting!

Mike were right next to one another. I'm in painesville all the time. I'm in Mentor. Go to Bright Guy in Willoughby, they have them in stock.

Bill

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
We have no way of knowing if the well over $100 price-tag makes the light "worth it" to you. It's a good light that runs quite long, with a good build quality.

JEEZ man, give the guy a break!!!! He's just asking for opinions just like eveyone else around here. Did Santa poop in your stocking or what????:thumbsdow

Patriot

Flashaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitthespot
...I thought that's why we're all here, to share are experiences with flashlights, the good, the bad, the costs, are they worth it..
That is EXACTLY why this forum exists. There was NOTHING WHATSOEVER wrong with your question.

It is completely normal to ask if users think an expensive light is worth it. You'll normally receive polite, well-thought out responses.

As you can see, several of the responses were well-reasoned, balanced, and FAR from "worthless".

Thank you for saying something joema. This OP was perfectly fine. If the OP originally used the wrong terminology with the taboo, "worth it" phrase, it was all corrected by post #3 where the he basically said, 'whatever, just give me your thoughts about the light itself then.' Maybe TIN is cranky because it's the off-season.

Hitthespot, I saw than you bought one and I went and checked out your review. It looks like it was indeed "worth it." Very nice light and yes I'm a little jealous. :)