Is there something special about these NiMH cells?

adict2jane

Newly Enlightened
I have to replace the battery from my electric tooth brush, the current battery will only last a day or so. Here is the replacement battery:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFD8DTU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I was thinking of using a standard eneloop as a replacement. However a fully charged AA cell reports low battery by the toothbrush. Any idea what gives? The voltage on the original bad battery reads 1.25V on my voltmeter.

Thanks in advance!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I noted this in the description:

"This battery is made in Japan. The tabs are customized in USA."

It's good to know that some industrial operations remain in the U.S.

Last edited:

Power Me Up

Enlightened
That's an unusual size NiMH cell, but assuming that you can get an Eneloop to fit, I would expect it to work.

A few points to consider:

Depending on the charging method used in the toothbrush, it may not be good for an Eneloop - often built in chargers will simply apply a constant charge regardless of whether the cell is full or not and Eneloops don't like to be overcharged like that.

Is it reporting low with the toothbrush running, or when it's turned off? If it's only when the toothbrush is on, it may be to do with the fact that cell has soldered tabs which could be giving a better connection (with less resistance) than is possible with the Eneloop. If it's reporting low before even turning it on, it may be expecting the cell to have a higher voltage "hot" off the charger...