Isn't a AA right-angle light (or headlamp) the most versatile light you can have?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
<snip>

When you started this thread, it reminded me of a post you made a couple/few years ago of an angle head ZL (I think it was a ZL) clipped to the shoulder strap of a back pack. That struck me, back then, of the flexibility of that style light.

<snip>.

Found it :D

2prbwom.jpg

Hands free so one can perhaps hold a radio, or support an injured person, wield Miss Michonne's katana or eat a 12" Subway. :D Wutever, the right-angle light is simply a must have!

OMG I remember this from 2013

2cfctmr.jpg

Today the 18650 isn't centered around my everyday uses though. Mostly AA/14500's since LED output has advanced so much.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yep... that's it! :D

Yeah, LEDs have gotten better, back then... XML and XPG, now XML2 XPG2 and XPL 20% better?

I think the big difference in the small lights is that many of them now take a 14500 LiIon.

Weren't you charging your 18650s back then with solar?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ Sorta. The 4 cell AA USB battery pack can charge an 18650 to about 70%-80%

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each has an advantage. AA is going to be a smaller light, you can find AAs almost anyplace on the planet, and you can find solar chargers for them pretty easily. Smaller, lighter, easier to power.
The 18650 has more capacity, longer run time or much brighter output. Great when you have access to power for charging. Home, office, car camping. Not as convenient to carry on a 12 day hike though. Bigger, brighter, longer run time at same brightness.
I don't see why people argue that one is better than the other... one will be better than the other for a certain use. Not better for everything.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Each has an advantage. AA is going to be a smaller light, you can find AAs almost anyplace on the planet, and you can find solar chargers for them pretty easily. Smaller, lighter, easier to power.

The 18650 has more capacity, longer run time or much brighter output. Great when you have access to power for charging. Home, office, car camping. Not as convenient to carry on a 12 day hike though. Bigger, brighter, longer run time at same brightness.

I don't see why people argue that one is better than the other... one will be better than the other for a certain use. Not better for everything.

I agree with most of what you say here, but you can solar-charge an 18650 without too much trouble. A solar panel with USB output will drive a simple 18650 charger like the XTAR MC1 quite nicely.

From an engineering perspective, it's actually easier to charge Li-Ion cells with fluctuating power than it is to charge NiMH cells. The key is to pick a basic charger that doesn't misbehave when the solar power fluctuates.

Sabermaster

Newly Enlightened
I personally like AA lights a lot. One simple reason, you get the batteries everywhere... literally... I have bought some in the most ridiculous places of this world and even scavenged some when things got interesting at work.

Angled lights also do have their uses, but I simply do not like them very much. I have exactly one and I do not use it as an angle light at all. Only as a headlamp.

I prefer the straight types with a tail clicky and if I need something hands free I prefer headlights, simple as that. Angle light simply have one problem. If I clip them to my body, they tend to be shining everywhere, but not where I need them to shine. If I want them to shine somewhere specific I usually have to twist my self into a rather awkward position and with a headlamp, I never had this problem.

Maybe this is me, maybe it is not, I do not know, but I know that I prefer not to use angels lights.

MX421

Enlightened
Angle light simply have one problem. If I clip them to my body, they tend to be shining everywhere, but not where I need them to shine. If I want them to shine somewhere specific I usually have to twist my self into a rather awkward position and with a headlamp, I never had this problem.

Maybe this is me, maybe it is not, I do not know, but I know that I prefer not to use angels lights.

We all have our preferences of course, but wearing the light around your neck as Davidt shows eliminates this problem, as long as the light is quite floody.

As for AA versus 18650, again everyone has their own preferences. I was thinking about this the other day and was thinking of those who prefer the AA format because that is enough power for them. I wondered what percentage of those people were really into lights back when lower lumens level were the norm (say under 300) and set that as their benchmark convinced they don't need more. Should be a poll on that, it would be interesting.

Me, i recently got back into lights and am amazed at the output of the newer 18650 lights although i do use the light normally at lower power (and they last forever that way).

ironhorse

Enlightened
Thanks to this thread, I have a new light. This got me thinking that it's been awhile since buying an angle light. Thanks to the brown truck, I have a First-Light Torq. It's quite the handy light. It has lots of options for hands free use. It could stand to have a bit more flood for my use. I may have to come up with something to diffuse it some, but I am going to use it as is for the time being to see if I change my mind.