It is possible to create a compact 35W HID <$300. *plans*

jashhash

Enlightened
I was messing around with AutoCAD this morning and decided to find out if it's possible to create a compact 35W focussable & waterproof HID. I happened on a design solution that would dramaticaly decrease the length of the HID light. While designing, I found there's a ring of space between the bulky 3"x3"x1" ballast board and the 4" reflector. There is enough space infact to fit 16x RCR123A batteries! Enough battery space for a 45-60 min estimated run time at 3,000 lumens (or 90-120 min on 16x CR123A's). This light is much shorter than a 2D mag light although significantly fatter. This light is a preliminary design only and by no means does it express real world designs... but prety close I'd say. Maybe I'll make one of these in the college machine shop next semester.

35whid1.jpg

35whid2.jpg

Last edited:

hector

Newly Enlightened
Re: It is possible to create a compact 35W HID >$300. *plans*

Very nice, and you get some heat from the light to keep the 123 cells warm for good output. I keep trying to fit the 35 watt HID components into a "6 Volt Latern" style light, but the ballast is always the problem.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Humm' you need someplace to put the ingnitor also unless you can find one made into the ballast. Just about all of the OEM stuff is for an automobile = large package and hard to work with in a small light :thinking:

BTW nice design.

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

jashhash,

First of all major cheers for your design initiative! I read your post about the TriLux "Woodie" design and have admired your creative talents in materializing unique ideas.

There is an alternative to the rectangular ballasts and the horrible design limitations they impose. I can send you PDF spec sheets for some cylindrical can type ballast assemblies that can drive a D2S bulb from 25W-35W-50W. They are pricey and kind of blow the budget limitation but to integrate into a cylindrical design body it makes logical sense to use a cylindrical ballast. I just discovered these and have been dreaming of integrating one into some kind of handheld platform.

Instead of a mass of so many R123s and all those contact resistances, consider instead a multi-18650 or straight LiPoly power solution for 14.4V. Larger cells of fewer number that maximize efficient use of space constraints will give much better performance than a huge number of small cells. Small cells is a nice way of gaining series voltage for a flashlight For runtime you will need cell capacity and sadly it doesnt look like a major breakthrough is in order from the 800maH in R123s for now. A LiPoly power pack is a natural if you stick with a rectangular ballast design. The big whammy from my perspective is machining the right optics for good performance. Alignment to the focal point is so crucial. Perhaps "borrowing" an Acro reflector and adapting an analog might do the trick.

In any case, your idea is great and I look forward to its evolution and development. Feel free to PM me if you want to brainstorm about this because I am working on a similar concept. It may bankrupt me because I cant see any significant demand for it now but I'm obsessed with the idea of getting Acro x990 performance in a small, compact, affordable package.

Wishing you Best of Success, Minimal Tribulations....

Eschew Obfuscation Always!

Steve

jashhash

Enlightened

About the ignitor: If needed I plan to use the hollow space in the handle for the ignitor.

35W DS2 bulbs are great since they are manufactured in great quantity and can be bought cheap. However, from what you say, this cylindrical ballast is quite expensive. Im still interested in taking a look at it, perhaps the manufactur would offer quantity discounts.

There are 2 reasons for the use of R123 batteries in this light:
1. They are cheap
2. In any light with a large reflector there is always some wasted space behind the reflector, R123 batteries are the right size for filling this space.

I want to keep the build cost of this light under $300 so as to significantly uncercut my competitions prices. If i can produce a light smaller, lighter, brighter, cheaper, waterproof, and with similar run time I would expect to take a significant amount of thier market share.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

The handle needs work. There does not seem to be enough room to put a normal hand in to hold it and the top would only allow two fingers or so (I did rough ratios measuring on screen.)
I'd be very interested in something like this but it would be used with thick gloves frequently. Take a look at the Havis-Shield handle. It would not be easy to do in Aluminium but is a very functional idea.

Good idea and I hope you can keep the price < $300.00

jashhash

Enlightened

Agreed the handle needs work. On a side note... Had a stroke of luck this morning because I found the exact reflector needed for this light. I took apart my 1,000,000 CP spotlight to reveal a 3.9" x 1.7" metal eflector & glass lense. This reflector is only .1" smaller than the one in the plans. The reflector is mostly smooth with a slight grain. All this at the incredible price of $10. :clap: :takeit: This will dramatically decrease the cost of the light since the most crucial component can be found cheaply.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I think you have created a monster here! :rock:
A compact and reasonably sized HID running on the right powersource has been quite allusive until now.
Good luck to who-ever decides to build something like this. :)

jashhash

Enlightened

Plans Updated:
Instead of running off 16 123a bats it will now run off 9x NiMh C cells for an estimated 65-85 mins. While the C cells increase the weight and length of the light by 1", they add 50% more battery life, are far cheaper, and eliminate the requirement of protection circuits. I changed the bulb to match the dimmensions of a 35W DS2 automotive bulb. I have also removed the external recharging jack to further reduce production cost. The handle has been changed, now having more finger room and less overall length. The design will likely change when I recieve the 35 Watt ballast.

35wHIDR2-1.jpg

35wHIDR2-2.jpg

35wHIDR2-3.jpg

This Cost Estimate doesn't include labor.

jashhash

Enlightened

35wHIDR2-4.jpg

Size reference vs a Thor, both producing a similar amount of light.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I noticed a minor problem with this new version. When I checked I saw it also existed on the original.
How do you turn it on or off as the case may be?

You mention that the cost does not include labor. I'm guessing that the cost of the swaged, threaded aluminium tube will be a bit high.

I'm not sure who your market is but the absence of an external charger/DC source removes it from my intended use.

But it looks like fun.

jashhash

Enlightened

Your right. I forgot the switch. I suppose I could put a magnetic switch in the handle...

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

very kool light

looks smaller than my 35 watt hid modded vec126 vector 2mcp spotlight.

I used 12 - 4.5ah c cell nimh batterys to power my vector.
the ballast has under/over voltage protection less than 6 or more than 17 volts - no light - no current draw.

it has a metal 5.25 inch reflector - glass lens - tripod socket - folding top cary handle - wrist lanyard.
and a premium 3600 lumen 4500k phillips dl35 bulb.

it weighs about 4.2 pounds.

it survived my 87 year old grandpa - he used it and dropped it a lot.
it was his rascal scooter headlight.

Last edited:

castmem

Newly Enlightened

very interesting..... can't wait to see what materializes. I'd buy one.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks good. Where can you get a 35W Ballast & Lamp for $100?

Mac

jashhash

Enlightened

Its just an estimate. Hopefully brightstar would sell thier 35w bulb + balast for $100 (in bulk).

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could have sworn Brighstar was charging Like 90% the price of there light for just the ballast and lamp for the 24watt model.

Mac