iTP A1 EOS - another tiny Pocket Rocket delight

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
...My take: there are nice lights smaller and lighter than the Mini or A1 (such as the Drake) but consider that they usually cost more, they usually use less-common cells, and you are saving only maybe half an ounce, usually at the expense of brightness or runtime...

I think this is very wise and sound advice.

There is another thread on necklights here that talks about when that size and half-ounce weight savings makes a difference, but for a pocket rocket, the Mini 123 or A1 are extremely hard to beat!

Ska-T

Newly Enlightened
The lights [iTP3 and MiNi123] are very similar in general; to me their beam patterns are almost the same; if you just want to try one of this size and type, the ITP is less expensive...
Thanks. That the two lights have similar brightness and beam patterns is just the type of info I'm looking for. Further, an inexpensive solution, especially to the unemployed, is helpful.

For this part of your post, it might be worth it to start a new thread for your "ultra lightweight backpacking" question.
After I try out my iTP A3 and perhaps the A1 or MiNi123 I'll do that.

My take: there are nice lights smaller and lighter than the Mini or A1 (such as the Drake) but consider that they usually cost more, they usually use less-common cells, and you are saving only maybe half an ounce, usually at the expense of brightness or runtime.
Thanks. I followed up on your advice and read about the Drake and similar lights. They seem great, but for the reasons you give, I don't think they meet my specific needs. For example, to get 8-10 hr of run time I'd have to carry more batteries, which may or may not (I couldn't find the info) negate the initial weight savings.

Like you, I've stripped the "unnecessary" keychain and clip off my A3 and made a simple wrist strap from lightweight nylon cord. I'll soon give this light a try at night in the local mountains, but will have to wait for the full moon to subside. :laughing:

I also have an ITP A3 EOS Upgrade Edition and it's pretty lightweight (without the keychain or clip, and with a lithium battery) and is pretty bright (and runs fine and much brighter on a LiIon 10440 battery - same warning about running on High).
Do you know what is the relative run time is of a 10440 battery vs a primary Li at, say 37F with the A3 powered at medium?

Ska-T

Newly Enlightened
...but for a pocket rocket, the Mini 123 or A1 are extremely hard to beat!
Thanks, I appreciate you answering my question on this old thread. I'm going to give my A3 a chance first before springing for an A1 or Mini123.

joe1512

Enlightened
Consider though that the A1 with a RCR123 is going to be well over 200 lumens. (4.2V).

The A3 is only 80 lumens, which is probably sufficient for most. However, dont be too biased by those that use 10440s in their lights. This causes a 1.something volt light to be driven at 4.2 Volts.

This isn't anymore of a problem heatwise than the A1 (which is shorter but fatter). However, the problem is that you are pulling a lot of current out of the 10440.

People have measured it at 1.1Amps. A 10440 only has like what? 400mAHs, and at high loads, you get even less aH.

So the maximum safe current to pull is 800 mA, and likely even less with high loads (since your max maH rating will drop at 1.1 Amps).

This exceeds the 2C general rule for lithium ions, which is that you don't want to pull more than twice the current of its amp-hour rating.

The 16340 on the other hand have almost double the capacity which gives them a safe current draw.

In my opinion from what I have read, I think the A1 with a 16340 battery is safer than an A3 with a 10440.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for a little fun... My A1 SS recently went through a bit of a stress test...

Introducing my 6-month-old son.
4471550006_50492ea9b4.jpg

He's about to test the water-tightness of the A1 SS

4470772557_9ec617a174.jpg

Don't look in the end!

4471536284_be310277c6.jpg

It was on low, don't worry!

After 30 mins of this, he got tired of chewing on it. It came out the other end with no problems, and a little shinier!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my A1 in SS, very nice for $32 and change. The threads are very nice, not gritty at all. It doesn't really feel heavy either, not a huge difference from aluminum. I think low and medium will be most used by me, high is more of a turbo setting. Great lite. Bring on the SS CR2 version iTP, you have a customer here!

Tesla

Enlightened
I'm standing by to see if County Comm comes out with a Maratac version. I prefer their knurling/pocket clip format...here's hoping!

HIDblue

Enlightened
Just received the ITP A1 EOS in stainless steel. This is a great little EDC light that basically disappears in the pocket and is about as noticeable as a tube of chapstick. SS finish was much nicer than I expected for a light that only cost $32, and it was much brighter than I expected. For my purposes, I removed the key chain and the clip since I think they tend to get in the way of the twisty on/off UI...but that's just me.

Anyways, selfbuilt has some beamshot comparisons of the ITP A1 and the Quark Mini123:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/270917

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
@don.gwapo AFAIK it's a evidence tube,I got my two from Lummi with lights from rob at orb lights :thumbsup:

[EDIT] BTW guys mine is a SS version tho not evident from that photo.

Last edited:

Tuikku

Enlightened
I think I have lost my CR123 Romisen, just cannot find it anywhere :confused:
Too bad!

Could this be just GREAT excuse to order A1 SS? :party:

Yes, I have A3 but... Somehow it "feels" a bit to small to operate by one hand with ease. I have rather dry skin, not very good grip in fingers if you hold something small. A1 could be better, more lumens can´t be bad thing either.
Does A1 have better or deeper knurling?

Where to order A1 & AW RCR123, any place that sells these both? (Yup, lost battery too and no spares...)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have lost my CR123 Romisen, just cannot find it anywhere :confused:
Too bad!
Could this be just GREAT excuse to order A1 SS? :party:
Yes, I have A3 but... Somehow it "feels" a bit to small to operate by one hand with ease. I have rather dry skin, not very good grip in fingers if you hold something small. A1 could be better, more lumens can´t be bad thing either.
Does A1 have better or deeper knurling?

Where to order A1 & AW RCR123, any place that sells these both? (Yup, lost battery too and no spares...)

Sounds like the perfect excuse!

The knurling on the A1 SS is more or less the same as on any other model.

I find that the threads on the SS are tighter than the Al. I still have to use two hands to operate my SS, as my weak little girly fingers appear not to man enough for the task of one handed operation!

On another note: Titan, how did you go about cutting off the keyring knob? I've been thinking of doing that aswell...

Tuikku

Enlightened
I find that the threads on the SS are tighter than the Al. I still have to use two hands to operate my SS, as my weak little girly fingers appear not to man enough for the task of one handed operation!

I´m quite sure, that it will be mostly a two-hander for me also...
Batteryjunction seems to have SS in backorder.
Goinggear says in stock !

Both of them seem to lack AW´s :shrug:

Tuikku

Enlightened
Romisen was found from my Lady´s purse.
Luckily, I have already ordered iTP
myh.gif