ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Here's MY Quote regarding the iTp A3 EOS
For the "average" guy, the iTp A3 EOS 3-mode is the "last" flashlight you'll need to buy !

I got the 80 lumen XP-E Q5 version and it is GREAT, the beam is very floody, shines well to over 100', where I live anyway. [very dark, no street lights etc]

It's too bad these are a little pricey or I'd give one to every pal and relative I have.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Here's MY Quote regarding the iTp A3 EOS . . . .

It's too bad these are a little pricey or I'd give one to every pal and relative I have.

Pricey ? ? ?

I just bought quantity One for $22.67, including shipping.

(XP-G R5 upgraded, Battery Junction, with CPF discount)

Seems like a True Bargain to me ! :twothumbs

I certainly LOVE this sweet little flashlight.

BTW -- Energizer L92 batteries are my prefered choice for AAA's.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I bought mine brand new for $20 and change. One of the biggest advantages to the iTP A3 EOS is its very low price.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree...I see them as one of the best bang for the buck lights out there.

ps56k

Enlightened

great detail - thanks for all the info -

We have the ITP A3 EOS Upgraded lights (old style M/L/H) on each of the keyrings in the house. Recently our son said his light didn't work when he and mom were out looking for something. I opened it up, and the Duracell had leaked just a tiny bit. Cleaned it out and popped in a new battery, and all is well.... there's another thread about one of these lights "exploding".

Since these lights for us are used only as needed, and when needed -
does it make sense to swap out the Duracell Alka for the Energizer Lithiums ?

Not so much for run time, or even the shelf life, but rather better life without leaking ?

SO - are the Energizer Lithiums (4x and 8x) ok to use in the A3 EOS ?

1anrm

Enlightened

great detail - thanks for all the info -

We have the ITP A3 EOS Upgraded lights (old style M/L/H) on each of the keyrings in the house. Recently our son said his light didn't work when he and mom were out looking for something. I opened it up, and the Duracell had leaked just a tiny bit. Cleaned it out and popped in a new battery, and all is well.... there's another thread about one of these lights "exploding".

Since these lights for us are used only as needed, and when needed -
does it make sense to swap out the Duracell Alka for the Energizer Lithiums ?

Not so much for run time, or even the shelf life, but rather better life without leaking ?

SO - are the Energizer Lithiums (4x and 8x) ok to use in the A3 EOS ?

If you don't want leaks consider using nimh batteries such as eneloops will save you $ in the long run vs. energizer lithiums.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an eneloop in mine, and it never fails to light up when I need it, and there is no fear of leaky batteries.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I always use NiMH or L92 lithium (energizer lithium) in any 1xAAA light I carry. For gifting, I always hand them out with a L92 lithium installed, since I know most folks won't use rechargeables - I don't like taking chances with alkalines leaking.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Yup, lithiums are the way to go in this case. No leaks.

lemoncola

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

Where do you get the ITP A3 R5 upgrade version with 90 lumen from? I look everywhere and cant find to buy. I really want to buy one.

Thanks

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

Where do you get the ITP A3 R5 upgrade version with 90 lumen from? I look everywhere and cant find to buy. I really want to buy one.

Thanks

First, welcome to the forum! I got my ITP EOS A3 from Going Gear back around Nov 2010. I just checked their site and am not seeing the ITP version but am seeing an Olight version called the "Olight i2 EOS 75 Lumen XP-G AA LED Flashlight". They also have different colored anodized versions listed but I'm not seeing the ITP version. There are other ITP models listed though.
Try Google again and see what comes up. Good luck!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

ITP was always manufactured by Olight (sort of a budget-line for them). They have now taken them back into the fold, and are just labeling all the lights as Olight. There may be a few vendors who still have old ITP inventory, but most everyone has switched to carrying the new Olight models.

The ITP A-series lights have beed replaced by the new Olight i-series lights (e.g. the A3 is now the i3). You can see a recent review I performed on the Olight i3 here.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened

ITP was always manufactured by Olight (sort of a budget-line for them). They have now taken them back into the fold, and are just labeling all the lights as Olight. There may be a few vendors who still have old ITP inventory, but most everyone has switched to carrying the new Olight models.

The ITP A-series lights have beed replaced by the new Olight i-series lights (e.g. the A3 is now the i3). You can see a recent review I performed on the Olight i3 here.

Thanks for chiming in SB. Good to know we can always count on you for info! I've been out of the loop regarding lights for a while now as I've been happy with my current collection. I'll check out the i3, these are handy little backup lights.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I'll check out the i3, these are handy little backup lights.

The new i3 is not exactly the same as the A3. It is build on the same driver, like a couple of other lights, but the physical design is changed, on some points to the better, on other points it is worse. I have also done a review of it, but is is more technical. On my website you can also find comparisons between many AAA lights and they are not technical.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened

Also available from ShiningBeam who offers a discount to CPF folks (check the CPF marketplace for the coupon code): http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-By-Manufacturer-cln-ITP/Categories

Also, you may know this already but it is worth mentioning that the older ITP A3 is not brighter than the newer Olight i3. Instead, their brightness was stated for different methods of measuring brightness (emitter lumens vs OTF lumens). So that shouldn't hold you back from buying the newer i3, which does have some small advantages over the older A3.

Last edited:

J_C

Enlightened

Anyone know if there is a source for the old original stainless or Ti A3 version with med-low-high? I already have one and love it enough to buy more if possible, but don't want low first nor the new style bolt-on clip that can't be reversed like the old one could. Both of those factors are deal-breakers to me.

mzil

Enlightened

^Countycomm still has the Maratac AAA version, if that will do, in stainless steel and electro polished stainless steel, reversible clip, and the older M>L>H turn on sequence. I own both iTP and Maratac versions and I actually prefer the Maratac's more aggressive knurling and slightly shorter length.

Note: Their newer versions, however, in normal, black, and copper, don't have the turn on sequence you requested.

Last edited:

J_C

Enlightened

^Countycomm still has the Maratac AAA version, if that will do, in stainless steel and electro polished stainless steel, reversible clip, and the older M>L>H turn on sequence. I own both iTP and Maratac versions and I actually prefer the Maratac's more aggressive knurling and slightly shorter length.

Note: Their newer versions, however, in normal, black, and copper, don't have the turn on sequence you requested.

Thanks! I don't really care one way or the other about the knurling. On my A3 the first thing I did was polish away the edges on the knurling to make them smoother (not totally gone, just not sharp edged), flipped the clip around, ground the keychain nub off, ground the clip down shorter so it could tailstand, polished that, then put a piece of heatshrink tubing over the body tube and clip attachment point.

That makes it MUCH nicer to hold in my mouth which I've ended up doing even more often than I'd imagined I would. Turns out I never have the head in my mouth though so the knurling being exposed there doesn't matter.