Its been awhile since my last purchase - need RECOMENDATION(S)

penguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, so I got a Thrunite TN12 way back. I think its either the OG or a V2, its the one with a black rubber button for the brightness selector.
TBH, the format has been perfect, never *needed* more / less (well a lantern, but the the Nitecore lr40 is perfection)... The only thing could be of a little use is very occasionally head mounting...

My main thought is just around newer emitters, anything I'm missing from newer lights?

I'm quite invested in 18650 format, I LOVE my Maglite 18650 Cells (ax64338 models), everything is perfect about them - so I'm bonded to a single 18650 format.

Things I like, really like, and need:
-A low low, the TN12 has a 0.5 firefly mode, need something like this.
-A usable low or medium, like circa 100lmn not to kill night vision,
-something upper like 400 plus, you can use to light a small / medium room by pointing it at the ceiling
-Neutral White! Even better, a high CRI too. :caution: Really. Allergic. To. COLD. White. :barf:
-Tail stand, or a least some way to put the light on a flat surface pointing at the ceiling. I manage with TN12 OK.

Not vital, but important
-Other than showing off, never used the turbo mode, kills night vision too much... nice to have I guess tho.
-I like something not dedicated to either throw or flood, something in between, can be slightly towards one or the other, but something around the middle zone.
-The simpler the UI, the better. My wife will have to use it. It took awhile to teach her how to use the TN12.
-NO DOUBLE LOCK OUT! This is for sure a recipe for disaster with my wife.

...Maybe my ideal light IS the one I have here... my TN12... Or a newer TN12? Heck, its even been free diving (Yep in sea water) a few times with me... It just works.... and works.... and works - it wont break!
(PS, I wouldn't risk my Maglite 18650 cells free diving... just in case!)

penguinpoo

Newly Enlightened

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you need protected 18650? Just don't use ICR LiCo cells. Use IMR LiMn, or INR LiNiMnCoO2

penguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
Already invested in the format, got a number of Maglite ax64338 18650 cells, great cell, and in the bigger picture makes the whole setup multipurpose.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

penguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
:-D you didnt read the original post, no probs! Also, the Maglite website… also check that again, as no, not $34 a piece!

Anyway, thats off topic. Back on to recommendations that fit the requirements…

penguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what the Maglite AX cell is. Could you explain?
What is it for? What is it out of?
Its a protected 18650 battery with built in USB C charging. AX part is just the model number, same size as any other protected button top 18650.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, with Zebralight, protected might fit, but you don't necessarily need or want protected cells to use them. Nor with Noctigon or Emisar, or even Convoy. Most decent lights have autostep down if things get too hot, and low voltage protection, for years now. And honestly, these days, with IMR and hybrid INR and other chems available tolerant of overdischarge, I'm not sure why an ICR chem protected cell would be desired. They can have high capacity, or they can have high current discharge, but not both. Any idea what the max continuous discharge current rating on your cells are? Maglites don't have low voltage protection, aren't high amp lights, so it would make sense there. Have you considered running a Maglite?

Well, with Zebralight, protected might fit, but you don't necessarily need or want protected cells to use them…

The OP has already invested in many protected cells and would like to continue using them, not purchase new cells for the new light.

To answer the OP's question: I haven't tried a protected cell in an HDS 18650 tube, but I believe they fit? The site lists it as 18650 and "18680." I'm guessing if the existing cells are no longer than 68mm, they should work. (Maybe reach out directly to HDS to verify).

With a rotary interface, 18650 body, warm high CRI Nichia emitter, and flat button, you'll have pretty much all of your requirements checked. Simple interface, super low firefly at level 1, and will tailstand. Only issue with rotaries is the lack of a clip, but there are ways…

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP has already invested in many protected cells and would like to continue using them, not purchase new cells for the new light.
Right, so the trick is matching a light to the cells, rather than the usual matching cells to a light. I don't think any of the usual suspects are ideal for that cell, which is why a Maglite seems to be a good fit, as the cell features will complement the lack of those features in a Maglite.

The Maglite ML25LT is attractive, 192Lm, small enough to EDC though on the larger side of that, tailstands, and the cell is compatible with it.

The Maglite ML50L is also attractive, 466Lm, probably too large to EDC, but it should throw, tailstands, and the cell is compatible with it.

Annoying that the new Maglite Spectrum XL50 Warm White doesn't fit an 18650, because it looks like it should, it's close to a perfect size to EDC, 140Lm, and tailstands.

Streamlight ProTac HL-X, accepts a protected 18650 and 2x CR123A, has 3 modes, 1000Lm, 400Lm, 65Lm, plus a strobe that can be buried with programming, tactical tail switch yet also tailstands.

Acebeam E70 Mini, accepts a protected 18650, compact, Nichia 519A 5000K HiCRI LED, decent pocket clip, recessed tailswitch so it will tailstand, 5 modes, 2000Lm turbo, 900Lm high, 380Lm medium, 60Lm low, 20Lm "moonlight," (not quite LOL).

Last edited:

penguinpoo

Newly Enlightened
OP: "just not surefire prices, they are too much."
CPF: "Have you considered HDS?"

Gotta love this forum.
To get back to OP; I can fit a protected Keeppower 18650 into my H600w II just fine. Zebras are great & well worth the money.

Haha yeah. Although, saying that, asides from the price (which yeah too much), HDS have some nice offerings. But alas, the price.

Yeah that Zebra was a possibility, I heard those models have the spring, so can fit a protected 18650 cell. An 'H600c Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 4000K High CRI' was actually on my radar, that and a TN12 v4 are the two that I've found so far.