JC5033

357mag1

Enlightened
I've seen LuxLuther's test pn the JC5033 but does anybody have real world experience with it compared to a Mag85?
I like the fact the bulb is cheaper , longer lasting and more flexible with drive voltages. I'm wondering how it compares in beam quality to the 1185.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I see with the 5033 is that the QC appears to be poor. I have some with grossly off-center filaments in the glass envelope. That can't be good for the beam quality unless you can get the filament centered in the reflector. For something like an FM Ver2 Deep Reflector, I think that will be hard to do. The reflector opening is about 8.5mm diam, while the 5033 glass is about 8mm diam. Thus, you have only 0.25mm leeway on either side to adjust the filament position. I don't think that's enough.

That said, I haven't tested the 5033 yet in any of my incan Mag mods. I do have a Mag440 that drives the bulb at 18.0V, which is also good for the 5033. The reflector is an FM Throwmaster with a 12.7mm opening. So I probably have enough space in this case to get the 5033's filament centered.

Edit: I just tried the 5033 in my Mag440 with VLOP Throwmaster. The beam quality is fair. There is noticeable "structure" in the beam. I inserted the Hikari only part-way into the Kiu socket so that the filament could sit up as high as possible (the Kiu socket is set up for an Osram 64440 IRC, which is a very tall bulb). Thus, the beam structure isn't because I ran out of Mag head travel to focus the beam. I think the deal is that the 5033 filament is quite large and is going to be hard to focus nicely. The axial filament of the 64440 IRC produces a much nicer beam with a tighter hot spot.

I also tried the 5033 with a VLOP Ver2 Deep Reflector. Same result. The hot spot has some "structure" to it. I doubt that it would be noticeable against real world backgrounds, but you do see it against blank walls. Finer filament bulbs like the WA1111, WA1331, and WA1185 have much nicer beams with clearly tighter hot spots when using the Deep Reflector.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know on the JC5033.

I tried the Osram 64432 in my KUI socket and the only way I could get it to focus with the Throw Master head was to unscrew it about a quarter inch past the o-ring. The beam looked pretty decent then but the flashlight isn't usable like that. I only had one set of legs (.4 inches/10mm long) with my KUI socket. Do they make shorter ones or am I not doing something right?

Thanks for the info.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
To mount the Kiu socket lower when using tall bulbs like Osrams, I've used the included nuts as standoffs, instead of using those tall standoff legs. I've also used stacks of small diam washers for fine height adjustment.

jackolantern

Newly Enlightened
hello,

I have a similar bulb (35w 12v G4) by Candex? that came via Fivemega. also cheap at 2 dollars and assume similar to Hikari which in one thread in past FM referred to charts by Lux for Hikari.

Anyways, driven with 16 eneloops in bored 4d and FM bi-pin adapter instead of high temp KIU socket. With FM MOP reflector in stock head, the beam has a hot spot 2-3 times the size of mag85 in same reflector, but is much brighter by ceiling bounce and in local parks outdoors. Bulb could probably handle more voltage. Might throw a little further as well, but that is very much affected by large filament as mentioned which is probably similar to other maker.

Mines is still focusable :tinfoil:

Runtime on eneloops about 20-25 minutes continuous which does get very hot and caused melting of plastic tower that appears cosmetic as still focusing ok. no problems since replacing tower and not screwing head all the way in.

357mag1

Enlightened
Jackolatern,
I have one of Fivemega's Bi-pin sockets that is used in my Mag85 and look forward to buying more as they become available. Do you have any more information on the bulb you mentioned? Is it close to the size of the 1185?

jackolantern

Newly Enlightened
It is larger than 1185. Had to enlarge opening of reflector a little for bulb to slide thru. It is smaller than a 5761 in diameter. Based on picture in post 156 of Lux's destructive bulb test thread, it looks very similar to Hikari bulb. Also made in China. Fortunately for me, the 4-5 I have all have decently centered filaments.

Rechecked how hot spot compare and I would say the distinct hot spot is just larger than that of 1185 (20 feet white wall by my eyeball). It does have a lot more side spill and light in general. Probably what gave me the impression of a much larger hotspot.