Jeers to Bell and Howell for garage ceiling light

Poppy

Flashaholic
My friend's dad bought one of those sold on TV - Bell and Howell garage ceiling lights.
He was so pleased with it he bought one for his daughter and son in law.

Within a couple of months, it failed to light.
Within a couple of months later, his daughter's one failed to light.

While visiting, I took it apart, and discovered (using a lighting magnifying glass app on my iPhone) that a thermistor cracked, causing the failure.
I wrote to bell and howell, with the attached pictures, asking for a replacement. That was two weeks ago, at the time of this writing, and there has been no response.

1691335242970.png

1691335281792.png

Has the return for a replacement time elapsed? I think Home Depot's period is 90 days.

If so, I've heard of people that purchase a new one and then return the first unit asking for their money back, but only when the item is still well within its expected life service period.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Has the return for a replacement time elapsed? I think Home Depot's period is 90 days.

If so, I've heard of people that purchase a new one and then return the first unit asking for their money back, but only when the item is still well within its expected life service period.
Yes Chance, I am sure that it has elapsed. the manufacture date was about a year and a half ago. I don't know how long they had it before it failed, nor do I know how long it was in the socket, broken. I suspect quite a while. For a product that is supposed to last 10 years, less than a year of service is not acceptable.

I've heard of people buying a tool at the Home Depot, using it, and then returning it. They have a very good return policy.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the tool.. I asked Depot rental section if the have a large 24" bolt cutter (mine too small for the job) and they provided a used one free of charge.
The big box stores don't like people buying, then returning for reasons CG states. Although, that is one way to get an (illegitimate) extended warranty🤔

Poppy

Flashaholic
Depending on the tool.. I asked Depot rental section if the have a large 24" bolt cutter (mine too small for the job) and they provided a used one free of charge.
The big box stores don't like people buying, then returning for reasons CG states. Although, that is one way to get an (illegitimate) extended warranty🤔
Well yeah, and a black mark against your soul. 👻

I had considered bringing it home and fixing it. I think $3.99 for a five pack of those thermistors, but figured it wasn't worth it, especially considering that I don't have a use for it. I asked if they had a soldering iron, and they asked "What's that?" I asked if the father would want to fix it, and the reply was no. So I told them to throw it out.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard of people buying a tool at the Home Depot, using it, and then returning it. They have a very good return policy.
That happens so much if you buy the return pallets of it most of the tools are in like new condition and work. Some will buy a tool new and return their heavily used or broken one though.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Not to take away from this thread too much.
I have three 2-in-1 bulb connected together, holding four neutral tint flood led bulbs I got on super special.
It's centered in my garage facing each corner,,,, LOTS of light when I turn it on.
Uses around 40W total.

Being a complete goof, I have tint filters around my garage opener bulbs inside the units themselves.
Originally cooler tint filament LEDs' I got for it & just had to change the tint.
..who does that?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a couple of these type of lights a while ago, not "name" branded if you can call it that, and a whole lot cheaper. They are way too much light for what I need (4000-5800 lumens), I have since given one away.

Interesting what I found inside one. LEDs are driven by a linear regulator which switches series substrings on and off according to the ac input level, as it changes. Neat, but my concern is the type of flicker this may create.

Dave

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh, I'm an X'er and recall Bell+Howell from their film projectors in elementary school before VHS + TV muscled in on the educational market. While I do not intend to die off anytime soon I'll concede it's an admittedly a distant connection.
I can recall the sound the film would make after it was rewound onto the original spool. "Slap, slap, slap, slap."

Oh, the memories this brings back!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I can recall the sound the film would make after it was rewound onto the original spool. "Slap, slap, slap, slap."

Oh, the memories this brings back!
That and the inherent rapid clattering sound of the projector running at a volume but a notch below the generally distorted film audio. But not as bad as filmstrip cassette audio with its distinct warbling tone that bordered on unnerving.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That and the inherent rapid clattering sound of the projector running at a volume but a notch below the generally distorted film audio. But not as bad as filmstrip cassette audio with its distinct warbling tone that bordered on unnerving.
Yeah I occasionally come across an old film someone has put on youtube, and you can hear the distorted audio. :D Really glad technology has progressed beyond that point!

Galane

Newly Enlightened
Bell and (or &) Howell did an agreement in 2010 with consumer electronics manufacturer Elite Brands to license the Bell + Howell brand name to market lines of optical and imaging products including digital cameras and camcorders, binoculars, telescopes, lenses, and various camera accessories. The real company no longer does anything in consumer goods. They're into security, machine vision, packaging, automated pickup equipment, smart lockers and kiosks.

Elite Brands has made the Bell + Howell name and logo into a mark denoting cheap, fragile junk. They've done the same with Minolta. Is it Minolta or some cheap junk Elite Brands has licensed to bear the Minolta name?

RCA has had the same treatment by Talisman Brands since 2022, before that the RCA trademark was owned by Thompson SA from 1988 after GE bought RCA in 1986.

RCA Records was sold by GE to BMG in 1987 who then merged with Sony as Sony BMG Music Entertainment (2004-2008). Sony renamed the division back to RCA Records, which is what it's been since, as a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment.

RCA's movies division has a spaghetti bowl mess of a history that involves Sony, MGM, 20th Century Fox, The Jim Henson Co., Coca-Cola, General Electric, NBC, Starz, Harvey Weinstein, He-Man, and probably a dozen other people, intellectual properties, and companies.

But after all that tangled weave, that part of RCA is all under the Sony umbrella as part of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.