• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Jeers to David Chow - 4Sevens - he took my money and my flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zot

Enlightened
Can anyone help me contact David Chow directly?

Maybe someone here emails, chats or talks with him and could point him to this thread
I haven't heard anything from David...

He never contacted me.

Zot

Enlightened
I do not think that comment is fair Archimedes.

I think you left out the part where he failed to respond to several attempts to contact him by email and by phone before any jeer was even considered. I have not said anything that is not true in this jeer. As I stated, it is a last resort.

Many at CPF, including myself, considered David Chow a great member of CPF. That, to me, would be even more reason for David to make some attempt to resolve this jeer.

It may be possible he is not interested in communicating further with someone who has publicly "jeered" him....

archimedes

Flashaholic
I didn't leave anything out, Zot, all of those details are listed in this thread.

I am sorry you don't think that is fair, and whether you (or I, for that matter) think this situation is fair or not, does not change the reality of my post.

It also bears noting here, as well, that I genuinely hope you get a satisfactory resolution to your unfortunate situation.

Good luck.

scout24

Flashaholic
I politely disagree, wacbzz. I would think looking at the new owner's track record standing behind his own products would be far more telling than how or if he chooses to clean up someone else's situations.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disagreements - politeness notwithstanding - are what make the world, including CPF, go around. :)

As as I see it, since the new owner apparently wrote that he would look into it, PL is now involved, whether they want to be or not. The outcome, to me and regardless of the "thoughts" of others, will most certainly weigh heavily upon any future actions, particularly with the FourSevens brand. The past is yesterday and the future is now.

So, my original question still stands, almost a month after the last report on the situation...

Has this been resolved?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Has this been resolved? This thread could push folks one way or the other with the new owner/business depending upon the outcome...

Agreed.
However reading the new owner statement confirmed my thoughts on future purchases. The no holds bar'd candor is what cemented my decision.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Disagreements - politeness notwithstanding - are what make the world, including CPF, go around. :)

As as I see it, since the new owner apparently wrote that he would look into it, PL is now involved, whether they want to be or not. The outcome, to me and regardless of the "thoughts" of others, will most certainly weigh heavily upon any future actions, particularly with the FourSevens brand. The past is yesterday and the future is now.

So, my original question still stands, almost a month after the last report on the situation...

Has this been resolved?

Almost a month. In the midst of trying to affect a transition of ownership, have a life, a small handful of employees, etc. I don't think giving him some more time, or seeing if there has been followup communication woild be unwarranted. Had the 4sevens light been returned to Jason's people after the transfer, I may be more inclined to be toe tapping waiting for resolution. I still feel hs's in the unenviable situation of cleaning up someone else's mess.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to add fuel to the fire but I too am curious, I had a situation with the new owner/or whom ever handles inquiries and to put it mildly communication is nil. I hope this all works out.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
To the OP:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Something to consider is that Mr. Chow was a respected member of the flashlight world, I hold several of his lights, however, he was sued and lost. I don't know all the details but I am certain the company had legal teams from Park Ave. in New York, and others from Market St., in Philadelphia, and Century City, CA -- he lost. And lost to deep pockets.

He may be paying huge sums to the plaintiffs on a monthly basis, and once you are crushed in our awful legal system you go from a $10,000 dollar desk to working at a Dairy Queen, with a 17 year old pepperoni pizza faced Ritalin popping high school stoner boss, and over night years of good decent work is flushed down the drain, never to be recovered. You become bankrupt, have a huge judgement against you, instantly your college education is worthless. That is our society!

If he misses even one payment, it is back to the judge. Your request for a refund to him now could be meaningless compared to what he is up against. He could have gone from a McMansion in Atlanta to God knows where, with kids, a wife who split, Mercedes repossessed, and riding a bicycle to DQ and the 17 year punk-*** old boss!

I am certain the case was tried in California, look up the verdict, it is public info. He could be forced, and possibly by his own fault to pay millions in damages, and legal fees, interest, fees and,on and, on. Regardless, if he is in a very likely situation, for myself, I'd let it go. I have sued people, and even let some of it go because the lawyers were relentles. And even the money I paid them they wore horrible-I'll fitting-cheap suits, you could see from a mile away. Never could grasp that? That is a story for another time.

If if he has a judgement in the millions, he won't recover without some luck. Most likely never, no college for kids just paying a judgement. I suppose if he stole IP, he dug his own grave, that's how things work.

The problem we have is you could do a lifetime of good honest things for people, and then one thing, just one...even something minor, and you never ever recover. You are finished, even after decades of good things! And it does not involve stealing IP.

Do some research before you nail him to the cross. I say this because he did loose a suit. I have had friends worth millions loose legal battles come to me for "Two twenties to rub together." I wrote them a good sized check, he may not have friends like that. You know why? Because when you are down on your luck, people turn their backs on you, and who'll slam the door on you. He may be in a similar position.

Also, the new owner may have no legal obligation whatsoever to assist you. You have no knowledge of any deals or contracts post suit, period. Chow was in Georgia, the other company in California. The deal probably only really results in the ownership copyrights to the name of the company only, and not IP ideas, I doubt the new owner would want anything creative without patents which Chow actually owns, and the could be of little value, or dated. Or result in the new owner being sued. This stuff gets messy fast.

For all all we know Mr. Chow had bad pattent lawyers, and they sunk him. Of course no lawyer, DA, judge or cop is ever, ever wrong, never, never.

My advice...forget the light and move on. You did not have your life savings taken by a Bernie Maddoff.

Really, Mr. Chow did his best, and, that is what I would like to think and believe, he could have done nothing with intent, and still lost his case, that happpens everyday. Let's hope that is the case. After all, he gave us great lights. Good luck David Chow.

Respectfully yours,

Sincerely,

RL

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP should be made whole. Either by David or by the current owner. It's the right thing to do.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understand this is the legal system, the current owner may and more than likely than not has zero obligation to pay the OP guy anything. He did not advertise, promote or offer for sale the light, or take payment and would be crazy to take on debt for a failed company. He bought the name, is my guess, and that means he, the new owner, in name only had no obligation to anyone post judgement. That is the way it goes. We don't know the post judicial deal made, until that is discovered, I don't think the new owner would absorb the debt, it could be hundreds of people.

Remember the 10 year warranty? Batteries for life, all that is binding, however if you just by the Four Sevens name, you are not responsible for something Chow did in 2010. The new owner of the name is not responsible, plus why he bought the name is to me like buying the name Titanic from White Star Lines...no real value in failed companies.

Dark Sucks owes no one from the collapsed 47's sued in to the ground a dime. OP sorry let it go. NO wait I own many 47,s (Hated that new logo), does that mean Dark Sucks must fix my broken, still in 10 year warranty light? Aw, NO! So the OP maybe screwed, well so am I, and any one else who's bought into the David Chow Show. He is history, and is guarantees are too!

Realy, I'm fine with it. I don't expect Dark Sucks to fix my lights! These were from China, the tooling, parts, and everything's now gone...you can't hang this on a new owner who only bought a name. The original owner was sued, no new owner would take that on, you would be buying garbage from a lost lawsuit. End of the line. No one said life is fair OP, forgettabout it!!!

As far as David, you can't get blood out of a rock. Fly to Atlanta and file a small claims suit, that is your only hope. Coming here and complaining is a waste of time.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
The information linked earlier on the Dark Sucks website spells out very clearly what Jason did and didn't buy and what he will do for those who require 47s warranty work. There isn't much need for guesswork and speculating. It would behoove members to read over that info before posting.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I read, he only honors warranties Foursevens products purchased from Prometheus, nothing said about past Chow Era lights, past Jan 1, 2017, also it is filled with gray areas, even states, as I did, that the parts don't exist any more, and I also said they can't do, or go back 10 years.

That was cleaverly written by an attorney which lets them do what they want. And I don't blame him, as he could be overwhelmed with repairs going back 9 years. He also very clearly states, he assumes no debt, or liabilities from the old 47's which ceases to exist.

Unless you bought your light after 1-17-2017, they can decide to do whatever they want.

Also, the "Don't be a jerk clause," I've never seen anything like that in 50 years of business - anywhere.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The information linked earlier on the Dark Sucks website spells out very clearly what Jason did and didn't buy and what he will do for those who require 47s warranty work. There isn't much need for guesswork and speculating. It would behoove members to read over that info before posting.

Nick,

You are are a great guy, we by and sell from each other, however, go to the warranty page, on the right hand side it is not good for a lot of people. I stand by my stories, which I have no sources for, and it is just my speculation, I may not be 100%, but I'm close.

What at I was 100% on was he just bought the name, that's all. Very common in business.

All the best,

No hard feelings,

NR

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
David went surfing. So he traded the company for a lifetime supply of boardwax and sunscreen.
He hangs out at McGizmos pad and McGizmo takes him snorkling everytime David gets the urge to check emails.

Hang loose brah!

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did we ever hear what light the OP was looking for help with?

I have a small (very specific) pile of 4sevens lights that aren't very valuable to me and probably not worth relying on if the warranty is voided. I do use 4sevens lights as backups and stuff, but if I had one sitting unused that would help the OP, I would consider letting it go.

Don't forget that David didn't just create a company and some things, but he created a community along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.