JetBeam Backup BC40 (XM-L) High-Output Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
Just got my BC40. Running with Redilast 3100's, no fitment or operating issues. This puts out very useful light on low setting, can't wait to take it camping!

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Thank you for an excellent review, I'm new on the forum but had seen this during my search for a suitable lamp to mount to my riflescope for night time shooting and it certainly influenced my decision.

I decided on the JETbeam BC40 'shooting bundle' which comes with mounts/remote switch etc. and ordered it direct from the (UK) website. It should be with me today so once I've set up and tested it I'll add my thoughts on how it performs.:)
That shooting bundle is a great idea, I have one of these on one of my rifles with a homemade red filter, great for hunting varmints (coyote) at night. Ill be replacing it with the BC40 with the smooth reflector later this week, throw seems much better to my eyes. Selfbuilt, should the Smooth reflector look that much brighter than the OP reflectored BC40? Great Review as always, Thank You for posting

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ill be replacing it with the BC40 with the smooth reflector later this week, throw seems much better to my eyes. Selfbuilt, should the Smooth reflector look that much brighter than the OP reflectored BC40? Great Review as always, Thank You for posting
Probably not much, but it may seem that way at a distance.

Haven't compare the two in this case, but typically smooth reflectors will have more defined hotspots. The effect of the OP is to diffuse the hotspot slightly, giving you a greater corona (which you may not notice at a distance). of course, OP also smooths out any imperfections in the beam ...

Sent from my handheld device

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
I did a runtime test with the Redilast 3100's on high with a fan blowing, 1 hr. 57 min. to shutdown. Too lazy to do one on low but I'm guessing maybe 15 hrs? Sweet! (using 4sevens V3 chargers)

dannstrait

Newly Enlightened
I just received a new BC40W (neutral tint) and it came with a SMO reflector. I wonder if Jetbeam is now making both tint versions with smooth reflectors.

Jerrycobra

Newly Enlightened
i ordered one of these on Saturday, and can't wait to try it out, i got the neutral white version from light junction. Now, just gotta wait for USPS to deliver it, they missed the estimated delivery date

ok, got it today, mine is the neutral white but has the OP reflector

Last edited:

dannstrait

Newly Enlightened
I like neutral tints, btw, how is the throw on the SMO?

Compared to a Lumintop TD-15 R5, the beam profile of my BC40W SMO is similar but with seemingly longer throw and brighter spill. I imagine the SMO reflector won't improve throw much compared to the OP version for reasons Selfbuilt has already explained. However, the hotspot is very well-defined on my SMO model. I hope to put up some beamshots for comparison soon.

Jerrycobra

Newly Enlightened
Compared to a Lumintop TD-15 R5, the beam profile of my BC40W SMO is similar but with seemingly longer throw and brighter spill. I imagine the SMO reflector won't improve throw much compared to the OP version for reasons Selfbuilt has already explained. However, the hotspot is very well-defined on my SMO model. I hope to put up some beamshots for comparison soon.

where did you purchase your bc40w from? as i posted above i bought one from light junction around the same time as you but it cam with the OP reflector

dannstrait

Newly Enlightened
Here are some beamshots for comparison. Please don't compare brightness because my camera has no manual exposure setting :ironic:

BC40W SMO on Hi at about 13' distance (Daylight White Balance, Auto Exposure at 100 ISO)

Lumintop TD-15 R5 on Hi, same distance/settings as above

Last edited:

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
noticed one thing in the table, the catapult v2 doesn't have a sst-50, it has a xm-l which was tested to 46K lux in selfbuilts test.

anyway, the bc40 looks like a good bank for the buck light. Jetbeam makes some nice stuff

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
noticed one thing in the table, the catapult v2 doesn't have a sst-50, it has a xm-l which was tested to 46K lux in selfbuilts test.
I didn't include all the variants in the table, but the original Catapult V1 and the first editions of the V2 both had SST-50 emitters. The V2 was subsequently upgraded to XM-L, where I did indeed measure 46K lux @1m. My V3 (which is also XM-L), measured just over 40K lux @1m. Overall output is equivalent between my V2 XM-L and V3 XM-L, so I presume it is just a minor difference in focusing between the samples. I would expect the "typical" XM-L-based Catapult to be in the low 40K region for lux @1m.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I enjoy my Jetbeam, but for general use I prefer the Lumintop X15 with 2x18650's. It's shorter, smaller, lighter and casts a wider beam which I find better for all-around use. However the Jetbeam an excellent light, especially considering its modest cost.

Brightnorm

chaparral

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for about 8 months now and it's given me no issues. The threads had a coarse feel to them when it arrived but a little grease cured that. It's my go to light when the dogs start barking aggressively at night so I like the simple interface. I've run Ultrafire 4000 mAH 18650s, Tenergy 3.0V RCR123s in it with no issues other than a shorter run time. I have 2600mAH 18650s in it now and all batteries have fit inside with no problems. It was a very well spent 65 USD.

phips

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about recommending/gifting this light to a family member together with a Xtar SP2 charger and some Panasonic 3100 cells.
Imo it has a balanced form factor with a nice gripping area and a generally simple design/operation... and it is cheap of course.
Seems perfect for people not too crazy about flashlights.
However I refuse to buy flashlights with such poor efficiency.
While the high mode seems good enough, the low mode is simply a failure imo.
I know Jetbeam tried to keep the cost low on this model but how much can they possibly save by forgoing a current regulated output?
A poor design choice that I will not be rewarding with my money.

Thanks again for the review selfbuilt!