JetBeam M1X + JetBeam RRT15 + Sunwayman V60C = ?????

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
Summary: Is there a light with the usability of an RRT15 (variable brightness + separate on/off switch) with 700+ lumens and good throw like the M1X or V60C?

I have owned a JetBeam M1X for quite some time but always disliked only having only two quickly accessible modes (user setting & high) through turning the head. It's nice that the user programmable setting can be almost any brightness level, but it's still only one user-settable level. I also have a number of lights (like Dereelights) that at least have low, medium, & high settings that are accessed by repeatedly pressing the tail clicky, but I prefer to go straight to a particular setting when turning on the light.

The JetBeam RRT15 seems, for my uses, to be the perfect interface by providing a twist control to set the brightness to any level while keeping the tail clicky for turning the light on/off. This makes the RRT15 seems like the next thrower that I'd like to purchase, *BUT* two things bother me. First & most important, the RRT15's 480 lumens seems a bit low compared to many other lights these days. The M1X is 700 lumens and advertises 500+ yards compared to the advertised 228 meters of the RRT15. Second and far less important, the RRT15 doesn't seem to allow for an extension tube like the M1X. An extension tube would allow me to run two 18650's as I currently do with my M1X.

The Sunwayman V60C might be the ideal light *if* it had a separate on/off switch, but alas you must rotate the brightness ring to turn it on. I don't want a light that only turns on by twisting the brightness ring because I'd like to immediately turn on to a specific level and the brightness ring by itself feels like more of a two-hand operation. I want to be able to quickly turn the light on & off with a single hand, while potentially wearing gloves.

So, is there a light with the usability of an RRT15 (variable brightness + separate on/off switch) with 700+ lumens and good throw like the M1X or V60C?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't think of a big light with infinitely variable brightness and a tail end switch?
The only big light with infinitely variable brightness is the Sunwayman V60C, but it does not have a separate tail end switch.
Most big lights have several discrete levels of brightness.
Most infinitely variable brightness lights are small especially for indoor use just out of bed at 3 am in the morning, and with a very low low - so it's either single 16340 powered, or single 18650 powered.
So you may have to re-think - either you accept the V60C's lack of tail end switch, or you compromise on the infinite variable brightness control...

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
What if I trade the infinite variable brightness control for a light that has at least a low/mid/high that you can set before turning on the light, like the JetBeam RRT1 R5? That would at least let me set the light level before turning on the light and have one more level than my M1X. Does that give you any other thoughts/suggestions?

If the RRT1 R5 was 700+ lumens, that would also be a great light for me.

You may be right that the V60C is closest that I can get to my "ideal" light. I'd rather give up on the simple one-hand on/off than deal with having a light come on full bright (blinding me) when I only want/need a low level. Then again, maybe I just stick with my M1X and wait to see if something new comes along. I wish JetBeam would combine my favorite features of their M1X, RRT15, and RRT1 R5. For me, they are so close, but just not there yet.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you have lots more options, including:
Sunwayman T20CS and T40CS
Olight SR51
Eagletac M3C4 with optional tail end switch.

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
I believe (though I'm not 100% certain) that both Sunwayman lights and the Olight won't meet my criteria because you cannot control which brightness level you are going to get when turning on the light. I believe they always turns on to the previous light level, and you can't change the light level without turning on the light and holding down the button. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

The Eagletac and Thrunite both look promising. Time for me to go check out some reviews & beam shots for them.

Thanks!

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you are right about the Sunwaymans and the Olight.
The Thrunite throws a long way...

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remembered that the TN30's massive 80mm head diameter will not suit everybody...

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
Last night and this morning I spent several hours looking at the lights suggested in this thread and I'm going to give the Eagletac M3C4 a shot. Thank you, peterharvey73, for mentioning the optional tail end clicky switch because I didn't notice that the first time around. That will let me set the brightness that I want and turn on to it immediately, and that's been important to me. I did read that the light seems to flash on to a mid-level setting before dropping to the lower modes, so I'll see how that is and perhaps I can just cover the lens briefly if I fear it's going to cause my eyes to have to re-adjust to the darkness. A bonus for me was also being able to buy the red filter.

So thanks as always to the whole community and specifically to peterharvey73! Of course when I see that JetBeam comes out with new light that combines all the features I like, or Sunwayman comes out with a V60C with an additional clicky switch, or . . . I'll have to add some more to my collection.