JetBeam WL-S1/WL-S2 FAIL 1xcr123, 18650, AA, 14500 or 2xcr123 blah blah blah

goldenlight

Enlightened
JetBeam could have had a winner on their hands if they went about this differently. The marketing is misleading. The options don't make sense. They clearly sell these in a way to hope you'll buy both lights.

I'll probably never buy a JetBeam light because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

It's not 'misleading'. It's consumer fraud, plain and simple, IMHO. On their website, and on the box for the WL-S2, it states in no uncertain terms that the WS-S2 can use 1 x CR123, 1 x RCR123/16340, 1 x AA, 1 x 14500, 2 x CR123, 2 x RCR123, and 1 x 18650. But, the FACT IS, only the last 3 battery options WORK in the JetBbeam WL S2, UNLESS you have ALREADY PURCHASED a WL S1, so you have the 'extra parts' needed to fit the other single batteries, aside from the 18650. Nowhere is this important fact revealed on Jetbeam's website.

Here's the line straight from the JetBeam website; specifications for the JetBeam WL S2:

10. Compatible with 1*CR123A, 1*RCR123A, 2*CR123A, 2*RCR123A, 1*18650 and 1*AA battery.

It can be found at:

http://www.jetbeamlight.com/ShowProducts.asp?ID=67

So you buy the flashlight, and only AFTER YOU GET IT, do you discover than NO IT WON'T WORK WITH 1*CR123A, 1*RCR123A, 1*AA battery (and 1*14500). Like the website says it will.

I rarely see such an egregious example of consumer fraud. In fact, I think this may be just about the most blatant 'in print' case of consumer fraud I've ever seen. Everything needed to convict them of consumer fraud under Federal laws is right on their own website. If they were inside the USA, I'd be filling out written complaint forms to the Attorney General's Office, and putting them in the mail on Monday morning. As they are in China, there is little to nothing that can be done.

Although, come to think of it, virtually all companies that sell this much merchandise in the USA have a corporate presence, of some sort, inside the USA. Hmm. Monday morning, I will talk to my friends in my State Attorney General's Office, and see what they have to say. I have screen captures of everything.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I believe I remember seeing a disclaimer somewhere on the box, but it's still not very clear.

You're right, it's probably closer to fraud than misleading.

goldenlight

Enlightened
I believe I remember seeing a disclaimer somewhere on the box, but it's still not very clear.

You're right, it's probably closer to fraud than misleading.

There is no disclaimer on the box, and there is no disclaimer on the website. I have the box in front of me, right now. And the website open in another tab. No disclaimer to be found.

However, there *IS* this line, on both the box and website. It is, of course, completely incomprehensible:

2. 3 different models & brightness for you DIY to fit different surroundings usage

I wonder if I got google or bing or whatever to 'translate' this back into Chinese, if it would make any sense to a native Chinese person. My best guess is: no way in hell. It's gibberish now. It would be gibberish if translated back into Chinese.

Like most Engrish, it is moderately amusing to read. But there is no way to figure out what in the world it was supposed to mean.

Berneck1

Enlightened
There is no disclaimer on the box, and there is no disclaimer on the website. I have the box in front of me, right now. And the website open in another tab. No disclaimer to be found.

However, there *IS* this line, on both the box and website. It is, of course, completely incomprehensible:

2. 3 different models & brightness for you DIY to fit different surroundings usage

I wonder if I got google or bing or whatever to 'translate' this back into Chinese, if it would make any sense to a native Chinese person. My best guess is: no way in hell. It's gibberish now. It would be gibberish if translated back into Chinese.

Like most Engrish, it is moderately amusing to read. But there is no way to figure out what in the world it was supposed to mean.

Yeah, the box and manual were clearly written by someone who does not speak English well. Whenever I see things like this, I tend to avoid those products. It just shows a lack of quality in most cases.

I returned my lights and don't intend to ever buy them in the future.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
man I am glad I didnt buy these lights I almost did! Luckily my experience with Jetbeam has been great with my SRA40 and 3m Pro. Admittedly the user manuals are obviously written by those that do not speak English very well just well enough to barely get the point across.

goldenlight

Enlightened
In all fairness, I like the Jetbeam WL-S2. I has a good range of selectable outputs. And despite the LARGE **900 LUMENS** written on the box, you ONLY can get that with 2 16340 cells. For some reason, JetBeam was unwilling to engineer a more efficient driver circuit to produce 900 lumens from a single 18650 cell. Given how 2 Li-ion cells like to turn a flashlight into a hand grenade, I won't be using that battery configuration. But with an 18650, you get 1, 60, 220, 400, and 770 lumens. They claim 37 hours at 60 lumens, which is quite respectable, from a 18650 cell.

One thing that REALLY bugs me is that when you turn the light on, it comes on at your last selected level, which is good. But when you press the side button to change the output level, you go to 1 lumen, then 770lumens, 400 lumens, 220 lumens, and back to 60 lumens. I wish it INCREASED in output, instead of decreasing in output. I find myself switching between 60 lumens and 220 lumens fairly often. So i have to go through EVERY OTHER LEVEL, to go up one step in output. Whoever set up the firmware must have recently donated for a brain transplant, because having to go through every output level, to go from 60 lumens to 220 lumens is just really poor design.

Inside, I tend to use 60 lumens the most. Outside I tend to use 220 lumens the most. It's really annoying to have to cycle from 60 to 1 to 770, to 400, and THEN to 220 lumens. Mr. brain donor has a good excuse, but I wish somebody who had a bit more than the autonomic brain stem working for them had TESTED THE FLASHLIGHT IN THE FIELD.

A really smart designer would have made ramping up OR down selectable. But I'm going to take a wild guess that there weren't any Nobel laureates or even any MIT graduates, working on this flashlight design for JetBeam. I'm picturing someone more like like George Bush, flipping a coin to decide whether to have it ramp up or down. Pity.

And of course I WON'T be EDC this flashlight with a single 16340 or CR123 in it. Because i don't want to buy another ENTIRE FLASHLIGHT, just to get the smaller battery tube. Yes, this IS a sore point with me.

RBWNY

Enlightened
Does anyone know what's going on with Jetbeam's website? ('jetbeamlight.com') For weeks now, it doesn't open ... in ANY browser. It just displays a server not found page.

Also, does anyone know if they've made the separate tube available for the WL-S2 yet? Marshall from Going Gear said last December that it would become available in the new year...but I've seen nothing yet. Does all this seem strange to anyone other than me?

Last edited:

RBWNY

Enlightened
And of course I WON'T be EDC this flashlight with a single 16340 or CR123 in it. Because i don't want to buy another ENTIRE FLASHLIGHT, just to get the smaller battery tube. Yes, this IS a sore point with me.

Again..........the smaller tube was supposed to be made available early in 2015!! So............where is it Jetbeam???

RBWNY

Enlightened
I'm picturing someone more like like George Bush, flipping a coin to decide whether to have it ramp up or down. Pity.

While I agree with everything you've said about this light, I won't stand idle while Mr. Bush is blamed again for something he had no part in! (or even someone "like" him)

RBWNY

Enlightened
Just got the S1 tube and tail cap for use on the S2! I like it!! It has a pocket clip already attached to the cap, which allows it to go "deep pocket". It has sort of 2 stages on it, where if it's tightened all the way down it can take a 16340 (but NOT a 18350) and if it's tightened only half way, then it takes an NiMH or 14500. Functionality is still the same, but of course it's not quite as bright as when it's full size with 2 cells. But if you're not comparing it side by side that way...it's still pretty bright on turbo. With a 16340, the total length is 4.25"

Berneck1

Enlightened
Just got the S1 tube and tail cap for use on the S2! I like it!! It has a pocket clip already attached to the cap, which allows it to go "deep pocket". It has sort of 2 stages on it, where if it's tightened all the way down it can take a 16340 (but NOT a 18350) and if it's tightened only half way, then it takes an NiMH or 14500. Functionality is still the same, but of course it's not quite as bright as when it's full size with 2 cells. But if you're not comparing it side by side that way...it's still pretty bright on turbo. With a 16340, the total length is 4.25"

Yeah, that's the best combination. However, I just won't buy from them. They are intentionally misleading on their product specs.

Where did you buy the tube and head separately?

RBWNY

Enlightened
It's the tube and tail cap, and Going Gear has been the only site where I've seen them. I asked Battery Junction if they were planning to stock them and they had no idea that they existed.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Going Gear is great. I try and use them for all my battery/flashlight needs.

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
Lots of negs on this light. Gotta say...ordered the WL-S2 and the S1 tube from Marshall
and no regrets. Great little light with many battery and size options. Sorry others
were having difficulties with this purchase but I am more than pleased. I really like
lights that have multiple battery options. -keith

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
recently got the XP-L WL-S2. Despite the light being built like a tank its performance is just plain weak. Out of all my 1x18650 lights it has the narrowest beam profile, a bit more narrow than say a P12. Using 2xRCR gets me what I would estimate to be 900 at the most lumens. RCRs rattle around the tube like crazy until I put in the CR sleeve. Jetbeam claims for range are way over exaggerated this is at most a 10000 candela light just like most of the class. I can say that the low modes are great for around the inside of my house at night and that the light just seems to be better on its 3 lowest modes. I can say that the XP-L does give that awesome XP-L V5 white tint that has no harsh purples or blues at all. I am glad I got the light at a good price though cause when it comes to the lights 2 highest settings and the lights total failure to meet range specs Id be pretty upset but am not. Light came with a very nice sheath. First poor performing oh high and turbo mode XP-L V5 light I have yet seen. All Jetbeam had to do was be honest with its output claims and the light would have been much more accepted.

Berneck1

Enlightened
They may have fixed some of the issues. My complaint is more of the misleading packaging. You have to order both tubes to get all of the battery configurations. That is not apparent on the packaging. Another annoyance is that they sell the larger head with the smaller tube and vice versa. Clearly a way to force you to get the other light.

I liked the concept, but their methods are what I take issue with.

Also, my lights didn't work in all configurations.