Emisar D3AA, custom Triple w new AA/14500 driver w NoPWM

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
some people paid for expedited shipping (not my pics):
note the Stainless Bezel upgrades on the D3AA ;-)
Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 8.21.11 AM.png

Size comparisons:
Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 8.24.52 AM.png

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
kept it on simple mode
no harm in that

there are a few new features you may enjoy, or they can be disabled, mostly related to the Aux lights.

1. Main LEDs Fade On, Fade Off. Instead of the LEDs turning on and off completely at once. Toykeeper considers it a way to make the light feel like a "more premium" product. I disable it.

2. Voltage Aux Color Display. Each time the light is turned off, it does a 4 second colored Aux display that reflects the state of charge of the battery. I disable it.

3. Manual Voltage check now displays to 2 decimal places instead of one. It just means more gratuitous blinks. No option to disable the second decimal display.

4. Simple mode now includes access to strobes, and ability to change Aux brightness and colors.

5. The lowest mode available is now much lower, 0.01 lumens (but it is not set that way by default) instead of 0.2 lumens. These "floor" levels can be changed to suit. Maximum "ceiling" output can also be set lower than the default (about 600? lumens)

disclaim, these are features I expect to be present, based on reading the latest manual and config files, but I have not confirmed as I dont have a D3AA yet.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
no harm in that

there are a few new features you may enjoy, or they can be disabled, mostly related to the Aux lights.

1. Main LEDs Fade On, Fade Off. Instead of the LEDs turning on and off completely at once. Toykeeper considers it a way to make the light feel like a "more premium" product. I disable it.

2. Voltage Aux Color Display. Each time the light is turned off, it does a 4 second colored Aux display that reflects the state of charge of the battery. I disable it.

3. Manual Voltage check now displays to 2 decimal places instead of one. It just means more gratuitous blinks. No option to disable the second decimal display.

4. Simple mode now includes access to strobes, and ability to change Aux brightness and colors.

5. Simple mode now has 7 stepped modes instead of 5.

6. The lowest mode available is now much lower, 0.01 lumens instead of 0.2 lumens. These levels can be changed to suit.

disclaim, these are features I expect to be present, based on reading the latest manual, but I have not confirmed as I dont have a D3AA yet.
#2. 20 people a day ask about it on r/flashlight. I keep it on. I like it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep it on.
you may also like the option to keep Voltage Aux colors on all the time (instead of only for 4 seconds each time the light is turned off)..

I'm sure I'll have questions!
here is a consideration for your kids use.. avoid teaching them how to use strobe and other blinkies (3H from off, and 3C from off), because blinkies have No Thermal Regulation.. per the manual:

"If your light uses Extended Simple UI, think twice about letting kids use it,because the strobe/mood modes were not intended to be used in simple mode, andcan reach full power with no thermal regulation."

Unfortunately Extended Simple UI can not be turned off.

You can mitigate the risk of overheating on Strobe and other blinkies, by your plan to use AA (or Eneloop), since the output max is 1/3 that of LiIon.

There is also the option to disable Turbo (I always disable Turbo), and to change the ceilings to be lower, so the light can not overheat.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
you may also like the option to keep Voltage Aux colors on all the time (instead of only for 4 seconds each time the light is turned off)..

here is a consideration for your kids use.. avoid teaching them how to use strobe and other blinkies (3H from off, and 3C from off), because blinkies have No Thermal Regulation.. per the manual:

"If your light uses Extended Simple UI, think twice about letting kids use it,because the strobe/mood modes were not intended to be used in simple mode, andcan reach full power with no thermal regulation."

Unfortunately Extended Simple UI can not be turned off.

You can mitigate the risk of overheating on Strobe and other blinkies, by your plan to use AA (or Eneloop), since the output max is 1/3 that of LiIon.

There is also the option to disable Turbo (I always disable Turbo), and to change the ceilings to be lower, so the light can not overheat.
Actually, no, I prefer the post off voltage mode. And then set the auxiliary at whatever I feel like at the time. It's neat that it gives me a battery read out, and then goes back to the color ive chosen.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's neat that it gives me a battery read out, and then goes back to the color ive chosen.
happy you found a setting you enjoy

the reason I dont do that, is because it interferes with my nightstand use. I use Red Aux on Low and do not want a 4 second Blue Voltage Aux when I set the light down after going back to bed.

one of the great things about Anduril is most of the Aux features and main LED preferences are optional, and can be changed to suit different applications and personal preferences.

for example, Hybrid Memory is a feature I dont use, nor do I use Manual Memory.. but they can be very useful for some people.

I just rely on Last Mode Memory, or at other times I just hold the button and let the light ramp up from the bottom level. Sometimes I like smooth ramping, sometimes I use stepped ramping.. (when I do, I like 12 steps)...

Ive become so fond of Anduril, now that I understand how to use many of its features, that I seldom choose to buy a light whose UI is limited to 3 or 4 output modes.

And I appreciate Aux lights, and seldom feel a need to buy Tritiums anymore.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
happy you found a setting you enjoy

the reason I dont do that, is because it interferes with my nightstand use. I use Red Aux on Low and do not want a 4 second Blue Voltage Aux when I set the light down after going back to bed.

one of the great things about Anduril is most of the Aux features and main LED preferences are optional, and can be changed to suit different applications and personal preferences.

for example, Hybrid Memory is a feature I dont use, nor do I use Manual Memory.. but they can be very useful for some people.

I just rely on Last Mode Memory, or at other times I just hold the button and let the light ramp up from the bottom level. Sometimes I like smooth ramping, sometimes I use stepped ramping.. (when I do, I like 12 steps)...

Ive become so fond of Anduril, now that I understand how to use many of its features, that I seldom choose to buy a light whose UI is limited to 3 or 4 output modes.

And I appreciate Aux lights, and seldom feel a need to buy Tritiums anymore.
For your use definitely. My nightstand light is a ts10. It's on old firmware and doesn't have that feature. Not really worried about updating. For my dm11, it's far too throwy for a nightstand light so I always have the aux on high

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My nightstand light is a ts10
same, but non stock LEDs ;-)
I had the LEDs changed to DeDomed 4500K 519a.

remains to be seen if my anticipated D3AA with FFL351a 3500K will supplant that role

I feel like this will be the first Anduril light I EDC
which LEDs are you choosing?

one thing that may not suit your EDC preferences is the D3AA pocket clip.. its hard to get everything I want, in a single light.. ;-)

I prefer the (non stock) clip on my TS10....
(Im snobby, picky, and spoilt fer choice.. lol)

jacobd

Newly Enlightened
which LEDs are you choosing?

one thing that may not suit your EDC preferences is the D3AA pocket clip.. its hard to get everything I want, in a single light.. ;-)
I went with 5700K Dedomed 519a, for a nice 4200k-ish rosy light, with a hint of extra throw. I find it's always a safe bet.
Next I'd probably get something like a 2700k DD for a(nother) bedside candle, and a W1 for a weirdly throwy tiny light.

I'm actually a bit of a weirdo when it comes to pocket clips, I almost never use them. My work pockets are deep enough that nothing falls out, and I can get in them easily enough.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
when it comes to pocket clips, I almost never use them
good, then we dont need to hate the Emisar clip
I use a clip less often lately.. on some lights only to prevent rolling off a table.

hopefully the D3AA button design will prevent it from rolling off the nightstand.

> I went with 5700K Dedomed 519a

glad you found an option you like.. I have not tried it, as most of my lights have sw45k

I tried a DeDomed 2700K (in a Sofirn SC21 Pro), but did not like the color of my skin at that CCT
C8qII82.jpg

I plan to replace it with my first test of an FFL519a 3500K
its a great time to be a Tint Snob.. lol

Last edited:

jacobd

Newly Enlightened
as most of my lights have sw45k

My collection of SW45k is slowly growing now too actually, my Okluma DC1, my Hanko and my new HDS Rotary all there that glorious emitter. I find the 5700k DD to be CLOSE (unless you compare directly) but it's a little bit brighter outdoors, so it's a nice "do all" emitter. Nothing compares to sw45k though, I'm carrying a triple today with that emitter.

I tried a DeDomed 2700K (in a Sofirn SC21 Pro), but did not like the color of my skin at that CCT

I couldn't agree more, it definfeitly makes things a strange orangey-yellow, BUT my use case is extremely specific. I relegate them pruely for candlemode with a silicone diffuser and I find they're just about perfect to replicate the fiery orange of a candle. Anything else I find I use a cooler CCT. Sm353 dedomed is in one of my lights that I use around the house a lot and I quite like it.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your thoughts of the new FFL emitter in it, its a GREAT time to be a tint snob. Are you waiting to hear if there's any "V1 Issues" before grabbing one?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
really enjoying comparing notes w you, thanks for sharing different application details
Are you waiting to hear if there's any "V1 Issues" before grabbing one?
Mostly just waiting for the D3AA w the FFL351a LED to be in stock, so I can order one. I would have ordered the D3AA w DD 4500K 519a until I learned of the FFL option from JacksonLee. His order page is not active yet.

Also, Im waiting to receive a couple of other lights Im having modded (to DD 519a 4500K), and still need to pay for.. Im trying to pace myself.. lol

But if Jackson goes live tomorrow, I will probably just order anyway. ;-)

Im also waiting for some bare FFL351a I ordered this past week, so I can test and compare to some of my DD 519a 4500K, before I commit to the D3AA w FFL351a. (probably wont wait to find out if Jackson goes live first)

Im hoping the FFL will be a bit more pink, and a bit less orange than DD 519a 4500K..

jacobd

Newly Enlightened
Im hoping the FFL will be a bit more pink, and a bit less orange than DD 519a 4500K
519a "orangeness" is it's only flaw for me. At the same CCT it just seems a little more orange-yellow than other emitters. Is that just from the tint?

and still need to pay for.. Im trying to pace myself.. lol
Boy do I agree with that. I have a Reaver Arms Citadel that I'm paying for this week, but that SHOULD be the end of my recent customs kick.

This D3AA has really reignited my love of Hanks, I think I'll be getting a few more soon.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
519a "orangeness"
We might be noticing the Orange mainly because of our experience with warm color temperature options such as DD 4500K and below

When 5700K is dedomed (becomes about 4200K), I think it looks more pink than orange,

otoh when 4500K is dedomed, it becomes 3500K, which appears more orange than pink

Im hoping the FFL351a will look more pink and less orange than the DD4500K. On paper, the 351a has lower Tint DUV than 519a, which may mean more pinkness.. Im looking forward to seeing and measuring for myself.

Ive been a little disappointed with some of my most recent 519a purchases for not having as low a Tint DUV as Im accustomed to from my long relationship with sw45k.

here are two of my most recent 519a 4500K DD, from the same batch. The one on the left disappointed me because the DUV is so close to the BBL
1.jpg

Im hoping the FFL will be at least as far below the BBL as the one on the right.

Last edited: