Just got my UK Light Cannon today! (freggin' bright!!)

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Just got my UK Light Cannon today! (freggin\' bright!!)

This thread is still alive??? Wow....

Eric

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Niiiiiicee pic, Chris - how do yo take those ultra-macro shots anyway?

With a slightly mangled one of these:

2teenycameras.jpg

Covert CCTV cameras. All my pics come through live video cameras as I don`t have a digicam. I modified a lens to fit on one of them so it can focus down to only a few mm, and with a lot of light and a lot of fiddling, it can occasionally produce a decent macro shot. That`s one of the better ones up there.

those fuses are supposed to be available at auto shops. Have ya tried repair garages or the local auto accessory shoppe?
I`ll have a look the next time I get a chance to visit the town centre. UK car fuses are probably different to US ones but if these short fuses are common in audio equipment or other accessories, hopefully I`ll find one.

grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clever how you do those pix! Say... that looks like the console of some sort of multitrack tape recorder (Tascam? Fostex?)under those cams - you wouldn't happen also to be a MIDI or studio junkie, would you? I'm still lamenting the death of my Yamaha W7 and 6-operator FM synthesis
frown.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Craig, my version info reads the same as yours.

The conflicting lamp specs for brightness came from this post by SUVlights.com:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000011

Seems to be very credible though.

As for the lamp life - oops - guess what: I got the 1000hours from your site Craig, as well as Quickbeam's TheLightSite. Both of you state the bulb's life to be 1000hours
smile.gif

Chris M - thanks! I stand corrected about the Maxabeam - I only read the "Xenon" portion assuming that its merely another big gas-filled spotlight. Missed that all-important "short-arc" bit!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

I assume both your LC100s lamp assemblies look like mine here, right?

ukwlc100.jpg

Brock

Flashaholic

I was going to ask what the console was. I noticed it before the camera actually, I have work on the brain I guess.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
lc100bulbmacro.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hid3.jpg

Hey, your picture is better than mine. And your bulb has more of that orange sh*t in it than mine does!
tongue.gif
smile.gif
blush.gif
roll2.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:

As for the lamp life - oops - guess what: I got the 1000hours from your site Craig, as well as Quickbeam's TheLightSite. Both of you state the bulb's life to be 1000hours
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can no longer remember where i got that lamp info from - possibly the UK website itself, Welch-Allyn's website, or some other equally reliable source.
blush.gif

Screw the book. The website's always right.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

The console is a crappy 9 channel disco mixer.

mixer.jpg

Once upon a time when I was still at highschool I used to do all the lighting for the music shows they did- the school had no lighting of its own in the main hall so I brought along a whole bunch of homebrew stuff made of car fog lamps, garden floods and a handful of "proper" lights, all run from a simple 12 volt switch panel controlling local relays to switch the mains power. Admittedly it was only a few times a year but it was fun! I have videos of the two best shows here, if I can find them I`ll grab a still or two. The effects were pretty good, the last one I did especially.

Right towards the end I did a couple of discos with a friend- but all I had was two CD players, a homebrew crossfader (100k stereo pot in a box!) and my Marantz amp. Then I saw that mixer on half price sale so thought I`d get it to use at future shows/discos/etc. I also got more, better lighting and a pair of cheap PA speakers too.

I then left highschool and have not been involved in any sound/light shows since! The mixer lives on as the front end to my hifi setup, although only 3 stereo channels work properly (there`s a 4 channel switcher to handle cd/video sound/portable minidisc/pc (except the new one doesn`t have a sound card!), 2 other channels are RIAA compensated for record players (I believe the kids call them "decks" now?) but I don`t have any of those. The other 3 are mic channels and are seldom used, but do come into play now and then. My Brother plays guitar/drums/sings badly and we have done some demo recording now and then, but not for ages. He`s away at Uni and does it all himself now on his PC. Made 3 "demo LPs" and one EP so far (the last 2 on CDR, previously on tape 4-track/old hifi!), though it`s still just a bit of fun for now, he`s not signed or anything.

grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Screw the book. The website's always right.
grin.gif
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer to think so too
grin.gif

Chris: So you were a mobile-DJ once, eh? Cool - I always envied the guys who played the dance halls for those one-nite functions with their road-ready set-ups. Hmmm... dim lighting, tricky working conditions, unreliable power supply - no wonder you took to flashlights! Ever wish you had an Arc-LS/Lambda Illuminator/LegendLX/E2 back then? Great for crawling around under the console when that annoying hum rears its head. And the LC100 would be KILLER for the mirror ball !!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

cool.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Came in handy now and then. Once had some nails sticking out of a bit of staging that kept snagging cables on, I soon took care of those <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes - perfect use for that term again - "percussive maintenance" -
grin.gif

Say - my UWK dealer told me that the price of the LC100 is going up. Apparently, he's been selling them like hotcakes and this phenomenon is occuring worldwide. UWK has caught onto this and is reported to be raising prices and capitalising on the LC100's popularity. Seems like a US$25-50 increase is slated.

How are the LC100 prices doing in your respective areas, everyone? I hope that with the planned hike that they'll somehow squeeze in more goodies. I really wouldn't mind a 8xAA-powered 1-hour burn-time 450 lumen HID like the LC100 (maybe the dubbed the "LC50"?)
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you were a mobile-DJ once, eh?

Not really, I was mainly involved in lights so you could have called me an "Amateur Lighting Engineer"
grin.gif
. The couple of discos were done with a friend for the local Marine Cadets unit he was involved with. I have hardly any records and know nothing of what music kids like anyway- he provided the tunes and I did the tech stuff.

I didn`t have a mirrorball but did have a "laser crab" small red laser effect that looked good in smoke. I wish we`d had green lasers back then. I still have the unit but fried the laser trying to hotrod it, maybe I`ll do a retrofit to it one day.....

Funnily enough I never really needed a torch, setting up was always done in the day. It was a very amateurish operation mostly done by just me and took ages so I always started early. I did have my (sadly now dead) 4D Maglite slung through a beltloop holder though. Came in handy now and then. Once had some nails sticking out of a bit of staging that kept snagging cables on, I soon took care of those
tongue.gif

shocked.gif
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

...Maxabeam is an incandescent...
No it isn`t! It`s a 70 watt short arc Xenon lamp- the same kind of bulb used in theater followspots, movie projectors..... .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ChrisM,

Congratulations on your homepage win!

Is the "short arc Xenon lamp" considered to be a type of HID? I always assumed that any lamp that produced light via an arc between two electrodes in a xenon atmosphere was a HID.

Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to KumKang who makes lights like Maxabeam, 35W HID could be brighter than 75W Xenon Short Arc. Their 35W HID rated higher Candle Power than 50 to 80W Xenon Short Arc light.

Alan

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Norm.
grin.gif

I`ve always got a bit muddled by the definition of "HID". Metal Halide, Low and High pressure Sodium, Low, Medium and High pressure Mercury- these are all HID. A short arc Xenon lamp is not technically a HID lamp, but the reason currently evades me I`m afraid.

BTW if anyone is interested in discharge lamps in general, there is a great new site featuring all kinds, right back to the very first two piece low pressure sodium lamps - http://www.hooker1.fsnet.co.uk . Still under construction and with some formatting problems that are slowly being resolved, but the photos and information presented there are excellent.

grin.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris

PK explained to me that "short arc" references the distance between the eletrodes as being less than 3mm. The Light Canon is less than 3mm, where as the McCulloch, The Beast and others that use the Phillips D2S is more like 6mm, and there for not a short arc HID.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For those interested about the rechargeable batteries. Many "cheap" rechargeable C and D cells actually are just AA cells (sometimes high capacity) inside a C or D package.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Ted, you are on the right lines with your statement! The D2S/D2R automotive types have a 4.2mm arc gap and are not technically short arc lamps as you correctly point out. But if you are interested in the technical definition, rather than just specifying 3mm as the cutoff point, the usual way is to take the lamp watts into account. So a smaller lamp needs a smaller arc gap to still be called short arc.

The standard definition is that the lamp must be loaded at greater than 100 watts per centimetre of arc length to be classified as short arc. So the 35W lamps are only true short arc types if the arc gap is less than 3.5mm. Similarly, a 5000W Xenon lamp used for cinema movie projection has a longish 6.5mm arc gap but it is still called short arc because in this case it is loaded at some 7500 watts per centimetre.

The 35W and 10W metal halide lamps used in flashlights might initially seem like short arc types, but do not forget that almost every LCD video projector makes use of a 100W pure mercury lamp having a tiny 1.0mm arc gap, and the short arc term is usually reserved for those types!

The term is of course rather loosely used though. In general I think for high power lamps this rule is applicable but the industry does tend to refer to anything below 35W as being short arc, regardless of its actual length!

Regarding a definition of HID, all metal halide and xenon arc lamps can be classified as such. HID lamps have a high pressure discharge operating above 10 watts per centimetre of arc length. The only discharge lamps not termed HID are things like fluorescent tubes, low pressure sodium, neon signs etc. where they make use of very long, low intensity tubes.

Best regards!

James