Just ordered a Quark QK16L mkIII. What do you guys think of it?

Mgizler

Enlightened
Just like the title says…. I finally am going to get one of the new quark versions. I had a few of these way back. I loved the modular nature to them. I always had a AA and a cr123 body to switch around with my 2xAA body. I loved the moonlight with the turbo modes.

I'm not sure why I waited so long to grab one of these. I was really happy to see that this midnight blue version has a sub 1 lumen low (.8) but still can pack a punch up top. I also ordered the AA and cr123 tube as well.

I have never experienced, nor do I own, an 16650 powered lights…..

How are you guys liking this new version? I love the UI as I have had a few of the Preon mkIII's (great light that needs to come back in stock!)

I thought I saw a review somewhere here in this sub forum.

Definitely very excited to get this in my pocket!

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I've really enjoyed my QK16L for a few years. Great output and mode spacing with generous runtime with the 16650. One of the only lights with the unique Nichia 319A hex die LED which makes for a nicely rounded beam peofile. Love the tint! Pure neutral white goodness.

Just for fun I recommend the aspheric lens kit. It takes just a minute to swap out from the reflector and it becomes like a mini-LEP with a narrow intense beam. And another minute to swap the reflector back in should you prefer.

Congrats on your new light. I think you made a solid decision as I have had not one complaint or problem with mine and it still puts a smile on my face as a versatile EDC tool light.

Cheers!

Mgizler

Enlightened
I've really enjoyed my QK16L for a few years. Great output and mode spacing with generous runtime with the 16650. One of the only lights with the unique Nichia 319A hex die LED which makes for a nicely rounded beam peofile. Love the tint! Pure neutral white goodness.

Just for fun I recommend the aspheric lens kit. It takes just a minute to swap out from the reflector and it becomes like a mini-LEP with a narrow intense beam. And another minute to swap the reflector back in should you prefer.

Congrats on your new light. I think you made a solid decision as I have had not one complaint or problem with mine and it still puts a smile on my face as a versatile EDC tool light.

Cheers!

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I am really looking forward to it getting here so I can reminisce and do some night time testing! I almost snagged the lens kit but opted not to. I just might have to do it now!

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I can't recommend the lens kit highly enough.

Completely transforms the nature of the light and is very low effort to switch back. I've had mine with the aspheric in for over a year now. The beam intensity is amazing and the white delrin insert provides some usable wide spill light.

One really nice feature of the Quark is the outstanding mechanical clicky tailswitch feel. It has this Goldilocks amount of switch travel and springy feel that make it a joy to operate. So much more satisfying than other lights I have with e-switch designs. And a nice sharp click to it. Almost qualifies as a fidget tool to click the switch repetitively. An important quality detail.

I think you will be really happy with your Quark.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Blue flashlights. They're OK, I guess. If you're into that kinda thing. 😁

IMG_7429.JPG

+ 1 on the aspherical kit. It's never been removed since the install.

I'm pretty sure you're going to be pleased with your new Quark.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I am definitely going to grab one of the Lens kits. I am excited for the extra AA and cr123 tube also. Says it's estimated for a delivery tomorrow. It I'm not so sure it will be that quick. Can't wait!

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for a new flashy to arrive, always a love/hate experience for me. I love knowing another light would soon be mine. I hate waiting, hoping it won't be lost in the mail. Probably the same experience for most others too, I assume.
In the same way, that's why I usually stick with stock lights and the LEDs they come with and try not to get anything custom made. Much easier to order again, not a huge issue if I lose it or have to send it back if it ever needed work. Not a fan of buying discontinued lights as well.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Oh boy! Out for delivery. That was seriously fast! I ordered it Sunday night. And I am in Pennsylvania…. Lightning fast shipping

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like the title says…. I finally am going to get one of the new quark versions. I had a few of these way back. I loved the modular nature to them. I always had a AA and a cr123 body to switch around with my 2xAA body. I loved the moonlight with the turbo modes.

I'm not sure why I waited so long to grab one of these. I was really happy to see that this midnight blue version has a sub 1 lumen low (.8) but still can pack a punch up top. I also ordered the AA and cr123 tube as well.

I have never experienced, nor do I own, an 16650 powered lights…..

How are you guys liking this new version? I love the UI as I have had a few of the Preon mkIII's (great light that needs to come back in stock!)

I thought I saw a review somewhere here in this sub forum.

Definitely very excited to get this in my pocket!

Excellent choice!

Your gonna love the HCRI beam tint on these!

Mgizler

Enlightened
I love it! It has an amazing beam! Just enough throw with the right amount of spill. I can't get over the color of the beam. Simply perfect!

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I love it! It has an amazing beam! Just enough throw with the right amount of spill. I can't get over the color of the beam. Simply perfect!
I had the same impression. The beam is Goldilocks: throw vs spill and tint are exactly just right. With a no-nonsense solid quality build, great clicky switch feel, and good runtime with the 16650 makes for a versatile lighting tool. One of those rare things where there are no glaring drawbacks or faults. It's a simple, great EDC.

Thanks to Jason for the refinements over the years.

Next up: GET THE ASPHERIC LENS!

Have Fun!

Mgizler

Enlightened
I have just been absolutely in love with this light. I have been carrying a Few different lights for the last few years. Hds rotary and clicky, Zebralights, Malkoff mdc, and many more. This quark has really impressed me more than any of those I just listed.
The only other light I own that is just as simple is the Malkoff. But this quark beam just blows it away. I also really love the UI more than I remembered It from my last Preon mkIII.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just been absolutely in love with this light. I have been carrying a Few different lights for the last few years. Hds rotary and clicky, Zebralights, Malkoff mdc, and many more. This quark has really impressed me more than any of those I just listed.
The only other light I own that is just as simple is the Malkoff. But this quark beam just blows it away. I also really love the UI more than I remembered It from my last Preon mkIII.
Can you post some beamshots?