Just recieved Surefire E1B backup, mixed thoughts on Quality Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE450No2

Enlightened
My thoughts are this.... One week after I carry it in my pocket, it will not be perfect.

I DO NOT collect SureFires, I use them. Now I do not abuse them, on purpose, but I do use them.

I put them in my pocket or my pack or my suitcase with "other stuff".

But I do know this, when I NEED one of them to Glow in the dark, they do... EVERY time.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts are this.... One week after I carry it in my pocket, it will not be perfect.

I DO NOT collect SureFires, I use them. Now I do not abuse them, on purpose, but I do use them.

I put them in my pocket or my pack or my suitcase with "other stuff".

But I do know this, when I NEED one of them to Glow in the dark, they do... EVERY time.

+1

Every light is own is a SureFire. I would have to give most of them away because I couldn't sell them for enough to pay for shipping because of the way they look.

Now if you come back in a year will they still be working just like they do now? Yes.

My E1B (EDC) gets thrown at walls or dropped pretty regularly. When people are in disbelief that I paid that kind of money for a light I simply hand it to them and tell them to throw it as far or as hard as they want at whatever they want. So far I still works when I pick it up, luckily. I'm waiting for the day I eat my words though.

Now, because of the first sentence of my post, I have to say this is why I quit recommending lights. I'm biased.. but only based on my experiences.

Last edited:

ztm

Banned
Thanks for making my point guys. Mocking people's posts just makes you look like a jerk.

There are a lot of people posting here that want to make it clear they think the OP is ridiculous and that they are somehow more "right" because they don't care about his issue. If you don't care it is much easier to ignore it than to smugly tell him why you think he is stupid.

DM51

Flashaholic
... you look like a jerk
ztm... you are right on the limit of what will be tolerated here. I strongly suggest you refrain from making any more posts in this thread.

People have every right to request that a thread should be closed if it has become so tiresome and gone so far off topic that its continued existence is likely to prove disruptive. We're close to that now.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for making my point guys. Mocking people's posts just makes you look like a jerk.

There are a lot of people posting here that want to make it clear they think the OP is ridiculous and that they are somehow more "right" because they don't care about his issue. If you don't care it is much easier to ignore it than to smugly tell him why you think he is stupid.

Ok first off here, thank you but I actually wasn't aware that anyone here smugly called me stupid or ridiculous, or if they were hinting towards that, if they did maybe I'm just too nieve to notice it.

Secondly, I appreciate everyones advice and opinions in this thread, they have been helpful but, HERE"S THE PART THAT'S GETTING UNDER MY SKIN, everyone here is talking about how surefire light's are meant to be abused and "they are going to get scratched up anyway". Some members even going so far as to post pictures of their worn and scratched up lights saying " hey I still use it, why cares what it looks like" People, that is NOT THE ISSUE HERE! The point of this tread was that the light came from the factory with obvious blemishes, not blemishes from wear and tear, that's the main point. Ridicule me if you want, but the fact of the matter is I find it unacceptable to spend over $150 on a flashlight, that was paid for by the sweat rolling off my browl in swealtering heat, working a job that I terribly dislike, eating things that I don't want because I want to save money, and open the package to find missing anodozing, scratched lens, marks on the TIR optic, and glue splatered all over the light (boy I wish I owned a camera right now), all this from a company that prides itself on excellent workmanship. Sure, after a months use the lens would have gotten scratched, anodozing would have gone missing, but that's after use! This isn't the type of thing you expect from a factory sealed brand new light directly from the company itself. And it's not as if I expect to get a absolute perfect, flawless light, that is probably impossible, but my god I'm not going to sit there as say to myself " oh well, even if this is brand new it's going to get scratched up anyway". That's the type of view alot of members take. That's bull IMHO.

And the simply fact of the matter is if alot of the members here recieved the light that I did, they would probably have the same concerns and would have returned it just as I have, but they will never admit that, "cause it going to get beat up anyway". I'm sorry, you can choose to dislike me, ridicule me, or call me stupid. It dosen't matter to me, my money is too hard earned.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think at least some of the 'it will get beat up anyway' comments were meant to give you a different perspective and try to explain what Surefire lights are really about. For instance, I doubt people who get them issued in the military (which is where many of them go and are designed for) bother checking for blemishes - it's the other attributes that matter.

Personally I never inspect adonising on any of mine that closely. Unless something stands out a mile I don't even notice. But I understand it matters a lot to some people. I observed it on the watch forum where people were paying $40 for a resin G-Shock watch and agonising over a tiny blemish or the display looking microscopically crooked. It's a fact it concerns some people, and I can understand why, having paid that much for a flashlight you might want to return it, and I think you should if it bothers you. I would if it bothered me, I'm probably just lucky it doesn't.

There's nothing wrong with being hard to please when you buy something that expensive. That's the bottom line IMO.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I too am one of those people who are probably way to anal when it comes to the appearance of their flashlights. When I first got my RA170, it was like a holy grail to me and I did everything in my power to keep it from being scratched. Every time I accidentally drop a light, I get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach praying that no scratch is there. I cant help it that I am this way with alot of my possessions so when an item comes from a manufacturer with an issue, unfortunately it bothers the crap out of me and I send it back.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just our opinions. If you don't like the light, return it. If you wanted to discuss then that part was accomplished.

We aren't saying your wrong, were explaining why we feel differently.

carrot

Flashaholic
It's just our opinions. If you don't like the light, return it. If you wanted to discuss then that part was accomplished.

We aren't saying your wrong, were explaining why we feel differently.
Agreed. If other people's opinions bother you it's probably best not to ask for them on an open forum.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
After following this thread from the start and checking the previous posts again today, I really don't think anybody was thinking or saying anything negative toward you at all. Some like myself were saying to return it. Others, after reading that you were sick of returning lights were saying not to worry about it on an attempt to make you feel a little better about the whole situation. At least that's my interpretation.

Anyway, you have done the right thing in this case and returned the light so all is well in my book.

Good luck in the future,

James....

Last edited:

ztm

Banned
DM51 People can give opinions without belittling the person asking even when they don't agree. Rolling eye emoticons and dismissive vague comments ARE rude. There were people who without a doubt thought the OP was being a big baby about it and felt the need to make it clear that they felt this way. There are ways to point out something is normal re finishing without insulting the person.

A lot of people seem to have mastered how to skirt the lines of boldly breaking the rules and brushing so far up against them anyone can see it when it comes to insults. Those posts are never commented on but when I point them out you act like I am behaving poorly?

As I said I see both perspectives as far as the scratches go. I was just put off by the judgments and arrogance of demanding a thread be closed because that person doesn't think there is merit to it. If you think I am being somehow "wrong" in feeling that way then we just disagree. It was not cool of you either to threaten me like that by "suggesting" I don't post again.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
ztm... You need to acquaint yourself with the Rules.
Please use some of your time away from here to read them - especially #4 and #8.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
People, that is NOT THE ISSUE HERE! The point of this tread was that the light came from the factory with obvious blemishes, not blemishes from wear and tear, that's the main point. Ridicule me if you want, but the fact of the matter is I find it unacceptable to spend over $150 on a flashlight, that was paid for by the sweat rolling off my browl in swealtering heat, working a job that I terribly dislike, eating things that I don't want because I want to save money, and open the package to find missing anodozing, scratched lens, marks on the TIR optic, and glue splatered all over the light (boy I wish I owned a camera right now), all this from a company that prides itself on excellent workmanship.

I can understand where you are coming from ebow86. My wife has these fancy Le Creuset (sp?) pans. She got them as factory seconds for a discount - they have very small chips in the enamel. I thought buying at a discount was a good move - at least if you wanted to spend that much for a pan, because ultimately THEY ARE PANS AND WILL GET SCRATCHED ANYWAY! However, the point is - she got a discount on her pans, but in a similar situation with your light, you didn't. That isn't a good situation at all.

Still, I don't really see what you can do other than either:
- return the light (You seem to be reluctant to do this for some reason, well, it's kind of a pain, I know.)
- exchange the light (again, kind of a pain)
- live with it (no work on your part, but clearly you aren't very happy with it.)

None of those are the best options ever. I would guess that your light should never have made it through surefire's QC process, something went wrong, and they'll be glad to exchange the light and try to figure out just what in the hell DID go wrong. Because at the prices they charge, I am reasonably certain they DON'T want stuff like this to go out the door.

Will your light get beat up? I dunno. My SureFire's do. They work fine, it's not an issue - but I am pretty sure that they have NO INTENTION of selling you a pre-worn light.

Things like this do happen - no process is perfect and defects DO get through even the best designed systems. I am sure SF will do right by you - I've always had great luck with their customer service. It's really legitimately terrible that you need that customer service, but I bet you'll find it's relatively painless to use. (Again, not the best situation that you NEED to use it, but it's what it's there for, and it is one of the things that elevates their price.) I mean think about it - you build thousands upon thousands of something - a few of 'em are going to be bad. Hopefully you catch them all, but in reality you never will.

Call 'em up and exchange it - it really doesn't seem like anything less than this is going to ultimately make you happy. It's a little short term pain to fix something that is apparently going to bother you a lot. It's just not worth it, and I am certain this is not the experience the company wants you to have.

Better luck to you - becaue clearly your luck so far has been just awful. Give the company a chance to make it right though. If they don't (and they will), you'd have every right to be furious.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Issue three, there are 3 small marks or scratches present on the TIR "reflector, ok I know not a reflector but you get the idea" they don't seem to affect the beam but I don't know if this is a common issue with these TIR lights. I don't own a camera so I can't take a picture but when the light is on low mode if you tilt it on an angle the small scratches are visible. here's a thread desciribing a similar thing, though the scratches on the TIR is abit worse that the photo in the thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/254687
Can any other TIR light owners please share if their lights make this same issue?.

Those scratches on the TIR are most probably caused by processing/manufacturing the TIR. Mine has more, but they aren't scratches as they would show up in the beam. The fingerprint/smudges on the TIR seem to be a coating or a reflection from the AR coating, because it's only visible when the light is on.

hatman

Enlightened
There's something still missing from this thread.....

This is a disturbing thread for anyone considering purchase of a Surefire.

Will someone from Surefire please comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.