K60 K60VN Look Again: Very High Quality Beam Shots From a Classic Light

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
OK so I have been taking my K60 with the shaved dome out on late night walks and simply put, this light never ceases to blow my mind. I went through the settings on my video camera and tweaked everything to get the best quality beamshot footage possible. I was pleased with the results decided to take the Sony camera and the K60 SD along with me on a scenic walk and capture a little K60 magic.

I hope there are still plenty of K60 fans out there and if you are contemplating buying this light, the footage here pretty much speaks for itself. I use a K60 with the shaved dome, which I performed myself. It is very comparable to the K60VN albeit not quite as tuned when it comes to the hotspot as Vinh will take time to re-center the LED as well as add extra heat-sinking if I'm not mistaken. Please take a moment and give it up for the K60 with shaved dome. And thank you for looking. :)

straight to YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If8W3BMFTnc

ven

Flashaholic
Great vid and thanks for taking the time.......................it will always be up there in the top few of all time fav lights for me. Size, heat handling, beam pattern,UI..........Not the best thrower, nor flood or the brightest out there. But all together a little magic happens and makes an awesome all rounder, a very useful light that can be used pretty much for most tasks when the dark attacks.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the vid, impossible. its a great light that I temporarily "retired" due to it's size. recently experienced the 6XLvn that is noticeable smaller, but still big enough that it takes a conscious effort to carry and that's why I still prefer this light, especially being 1/3 of the cost.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Great vid and thanks for taking the time.......................it will always be up there in the top few of all time fav lights for me. Size, heat handling, beam pattern,UI..........Not the best thrower, nor flood or the brightest out there. But all together a little magic happens and makes an awesome all rounder, a very useful light that can be used pretty much for most tasks when the dark attacks.

Thanks, no problem. Now I see why you have been talking about this light so much in your forum posts. It's an extremely worthwhile mod to do, the shave dome on K60. I did the same mod to the Convoy L6 and, well, I could kind of notice the difference. With the K60 I instantly noticed considerably more throw and a much more defined hotspot. It really went from a floodlight with great throw to a true throw/flood hybrid. Amazing light. Only recently was the first time I took it out in the wide open since the dedome. Was very pleasantly surprised.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
thanks for the vid, impossible. its a great light that I temporarily "retired" due to it's size. recently experienced the 6XLvn that is noticeable smaller, but still big enough that it takes a conscious effort to carry and that's why I still prefer this light, especially being 1/3 of the cost.
Thanks, glad if you liked the video liteboy. I agree, the price is quite decent on K60/VN when you consider what a lot of similar performing lights may cost. Still big, and no getting around that no matter what the cost. I'm sure 6xlVN is a nicer light in many ways but definitely has a premium price to match it's premium build.

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this is an awsome light for sure. I have 2 K60vn lights, one is shaved dome and the other has dome on. The shaved dome definitely makes this light a well balanced all around high lumen light that can run extended time without a heat issue. The price point is very hard to beat for the performance and quality.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, no problem. Now I see why you have been talking about this light so much in your forum posts. It's an extremely worthwhile mod to do, the shave dome on K60. I did the same mod to the Convoy L6 and, well, I could kind of notice the difference. With the K60 I instantly noticed considerably more throw and a much more defined hotspot. It really went from a floodlight with great throw to a true throw/flood hybrid. Amazing light. Only recently was the first time I took it out in the wide open since the dedome. Was very pleasantly surprised.

After shaving the dome did you notice any green in the tint?

Some throwers that I have are the Acebeam K70, Olight SR95-UT and the Thrunite TN40.

I now have the TN42C.

The TN42C kills the rest of the pack that I own.

CHEERS

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Yes, this is an awsome light for sure. I have 2 K60vn lights, one is shaved dome and the other has dome on. The shaved dome definitely makes this light a well balanced all around high lumen light that can run extended time without a heat issue. The price point is very hard to beat for the performance and quality.
Awesome MikeB. Did you get an LED swap on either of the lights from Vinh? If so, what was the result? Yes, the combination of brightness and throw you get from K60 SD, single LED form factor, is simply striking. As you said, it takes a little while to get hot and it's wonderful to be able to run a light like this without constantly stepping down or worrying if you might be doing damage.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
After shaving the dome did you notice any green in the tint?

I have the Acebeam K70, Olight SR95-UT and the Thrunite TN40.

I now have the TN42C.

The TN42C kills the rest of the pack that I own.

CHEERS
I didn't really notice any more green so much as less blue. If there is an actual green shifting, it is so slight that I cannon visually qualify it as anything greater than simply a shift towards "pure white". Definitely was less blue though for mine.

When you say the TN42 "kills" the other listed lights, are you speaking strictly throw or are there other factors that lend to the TN42 dominance? Thanks, and nice collection of throwers you got there. :)

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome MikeB. Did you get an LED swap on either of the lights from Vinh? If so, what was the result? Yes, the combination of brightness and throw you get from K60 SD, single LED form factor, is simply striking. As you said, it takes a little while to get hot and it's wonderful to be able to run a light like this without constantly stepping down or worrying if you might be doing damage.

They are both different LED's, the dome on is a high cri 4000k tint, the other is 5000k shaved dome. The shaved dome is prob around 4500k tint which is about perfect for me. The 2 differences between dome on vs shaved dome is first I really notice the dome on has a doughnut hole in the hotspot, the shaved dome has perfect filled hotspot. The second difference is the noticeable higher throw with the shaved dome. I much prefer the overall beam of the shaved dome light.

cody12

Newly Enlightened
Am I missing something? Was looking at ebay auction for old surefires and I ran across a "Skyray king, 32000lms for 23.00. 12 xml leds. Seems like there is a lot of interest in it, especially at budget light forum. Biggest concern was it might fake. Why would anyone make a fake 20 dollar light?
Any one have any experience with them? If they work it would make a great Xmas present for my 11yr. old. Keep him away from my TK75vnQ70.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Am I missing something? Was looking at ebay auction for old surefires and I ran across a "Skyray king, 32000lms for 23.00. 12 xml leds. Seems like there is a lot of interest in it, especially at budget light forum. Biggest concern was it might fake. Why would anyone make a fake 20 dollar light?
Any one have any experience with them? If they work it would make a great Xmas present for my 11yr. old. Keep him away from my TK75vnQ70.
If he's eyeballing your TK75VNq70 then fake skyray king will do absolutely zero to divert his attention.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't really notice any more green so much as less blue. If there is an actual green shifting, it is so slight that I cannon visually qualify it as anything greater than simply a shift towards "pure white". Definitely was less blue though for mine.

When you say the TN42 "kills" the other listed lights, are you speaking strictly throw or are there other factors that lend to the TN42 dominance? Thanks, and nice collection of throwers you got there. :)

I meant in throw mainly but the light also has plenty of lumens and peripheral coverage.

I have the TN40 and the TN42C.

The battery set-ups are interchangeable.

CHEERS

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I mean't in throw mainly but the light also has plenty of lumens and peripheral coverage.

I have the TN42 and the TN42C.

The battery setups are interchangeable.

CHEERS
I hope you got one CW and one NW:poke:
I like it when lights that use battery packs also have an 18650 carrier option as that is my personal preference. Any particular purpose for having one TN42 for each hand, other than the NW, CW, and different batteries option and being a flashlight junky?